- Volume 56 Issue 2
Adherence between reinforcement and the surrounding concrete is usually ignored in finite element analysis (FEA) of reinforced concrete (RC) members. However, load transition between the reinforcement and surrounding concrete effects RC members' behavior a great deal. In this study, the effects of bond-slip on the FEA of RC members are examined. In the analyses, three types of bond-slip modeling methods (perfect bond, contact elements and spring elements) and three types of reinforcement modeling methods (smeared, one dimensional line and three dimensional solid elements) were used. Bond-slip behavior between the reinforcement and surrounding concrete was simulated with cohesive zone materials (CZM) for the first time. The bond-slip relationship was identified experimentally using a beam bending test as suggested by RILEM. The results obtained from FEA were compared with the results of four RC beams that were tested experimentally. Results showed that, in FE analyses, because of the perfect bond occurrence between the reinforcement and surrounding concrete, unrealistic strains occurred in the longitudinal reinforcement. This situation greatly affected the load deflection relationship because the longitudinal reinforcements dominated the failure mode. In addition to the spring elements, the combination of a bonded contact option with CZM also gave closer results to the experimental models. However, modeling of the bond-slip relationship with a contact element was quite difficult and time consuming. Therefore bond-slip modeling is more suitable with spring elements.
stress transfer;bond-slip;finite element analysis;reinforced concrete beam;ANSYS
- Willam, K.J. and Warnke, E.P. (1974), "Constitutive model for the triaxial behaviour of concrete", IABSE, Report No.19, Bergamo, 1-30.
- Alavi-Fard, M. and Marzouk, H. (2002), "Bond behavior of high strength concrete under reversed pull-out cyclic loading", Can. J. Civ. Eng., 29(2), 191-200. https://doi.org/10.1139/l01-088
- Alfano, G. and Crisfield, M.A. (2001), "Finite element interface models for the delamination anaylsis of laminated composites: mechanical and computational issues", Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng., 50, 1701-36. https://doi.org/10.1002/nme.93
- Altun, F. and Birdal, B. (2012), "'Numerical investigation of a three-dimensional FRP-retrofitted reinforced concrete structure's behaviour under earthquake load effect in ANSYS program", Nat. Hazard. Earth. Syst. Sci., 12, 3701-3707. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-12-3701-2012
- ANSYS (2014), Academic Research, Release 15.0.
- Arslan, M.E. and Durmus, A. (2014), "Fuzzy logic approach for estimating bond behavior of lightweight concrete", Comput. Concrete, 14(3), 233-245. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2014.14.3.233
- Ashtiani, M.S., Dhakal, R.P., Scott, A.N. and Bull, D.K. (2013), "Cyclic beam bending test for assessment of bond-slip behavior", Eng. Struct., 56, 1684-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.08.005
- Aslani, F. and Samali, B. (2013), "Predicting the bond between concrete and reinforcing steel at elevated temperatures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 48(5), 643-660. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.48.5.643
- Barbosa, A.F. and Ribeiro, G.O. (1998), "Analysis of reinforced concrete structures using ANSYS nonlinear concrete model", Comput. Mech., New Trend. Appl., 1-7.
- Campione, G., Cucchiara, C., La Mendola, L. and Papia, A. (2005), "Steel-concrete bond in lightweight fiber reinforced concrete under monotonic and cyclic actions", Eng. Struct., 27(6), 881-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.01.010
- Cattaneo, S. and Rosati, G. (2009), "Bond between steel and self-consolidating concrete: experiments and modeling", ACI Struct. J., 106(4), 540-50.
- Chen, G.M., Chen, J.F. and Teng, J.G. (2012), "On the finite element modelling of RC beams shear strengthened with FRP", Constr. Build. Mater., 32, 13-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2010.11.101
- De Almeida Filho, F.M., El Debs, M.K. and El Debs, A.L.H.C. (2008), "Bond-slip behavior of self-compacting concrete and vibrated concrete using pull-out and beam tests", Mater. Struct. Mater. Constr., 41(6), 1073-89. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-007-9307-0
- Fallah, M.M., Shooshtari, A. and Ronagh, H.R. (2013), "Investigating the effect of bond slip on the seismic response of RC structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 46(5), 695-711. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2013.46.5.695
- Hawileh, R.A. (2012), "Nonlinear finite element modeling of RC beams strengthened with NSM FRP rods", Constr. Build. Mater., 27, 461-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.07.018
- Kachlakev, D. and Miller, T. (2001), "Finite element modelling of reinforced concrete structures stregthened with FRP laminates", Final Report, SPR 316, Oregon Department of Transportation Research Group and Federal Highway Administration.
- Kamal, M.M., Safan, M.A. and Al-Gazzar, M.A. (2013), "Steel-concrete bond potentials in self-compacting concrete mixes incorporating dolomite powder", Adv. Concrete Constr., 1(4), 273-288. https://doi.org/10.12989/acc2013.1.4.273
- Kwan, W.P. and Billington, S.L. (2001), "Simulation of structural concrete under cyclic loading", J. Struct. Eng., 127(12), 1391-1401. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2001)127:12(1391)
- Livaoglu, R. and Durmus, A. (2015), "Investigation of wall flexibility effects on seismic behavior of cylindrical silos", Struct. Eng. Mech., 53(1), 159-172. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2015.53.1.159
- Marzec, I., Skarzynskia, L., Bobinskib, J. and Tejchmanc, J. (2013), "Modelling reinforced concrete beams under mixed shear-tension failure with different continuous FE approaches", Comput. Concrete, 12(5), 585-612. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2013.12.5.585
- Mirza, S.M. and Houde, J. (1979), "Study of bond stress-slip relationships in reinforced concrete", ACI J. Pr., 76(1), 19-46.
- Nielsen, M.P. (1998), Limit Analysis and Concrete Plasticity, CRC Press, USA.
- RILEM-FIP-CEB. (1973), "Tentative recommendations, recommendations for reinforcing steel, bond test for reinforcing steel: 1-beam test (7-ii-28 d) 2-pull-out test (7-ii-128)", Mater. Struct., 6(2), 79-118.
- Padmarajaiah. S.K. and Ramaswamy, A. (2002), "A finite element assessment of flexural strength of prestressed concrete beams with fiber reinforcement", Cement Concrete Compos., 24, 229-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0958-9465(01)00040-3
- Tepfers, R. (1973), A theory of Bond Applied to Overlapped Tensile Reinforcement Splices for Deformed Bars, Chalmers University of Technology, Goteborg.
- Wei-ping, Z. (2011), "Local bond-slip numerical simulation based on ANSYS contact analysis", Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Computer Engineering and Technology, Kuala Lumpur, June.
- Eligehausen, R., Popov, E. and Bertero, V. (1983), "Local bond stress-slip relationships of deformed bars under generalized excitations", Report No. UCB/EERC-83/23, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley
- Ersoy, U. (2012), Reinforced Concrete, Metu Press, Turkey.
- Fang, C.Q., Gylltoft, K., Lundgren, K. and Plos, M. (2006), "Effect of corrosion on bond in reinforced concrete under cyclic loading", Cement Concrete Res., 36(3), 548-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2005.11.019
- Demir, S., Husem, M. and Pul, S. (2014), "Failure analysis of steel column-rc base connections under lateral cyclic loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., 50(4), 459-469. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.50.4.459
- Desnerck, P., De Schutter, G. and Taerwe, L. (2010), "Bond behavior of reinforcing bars in self-compacting concrete: experimental determination by using beam tests", Mater. Struct. Mater. Constr., 43, 53-62. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-010-9596-6
- Wolanski, A.J. (2004), "Flexural behaviour of reinforced and prestressed concrete beams using finite element analysis", Degree of Master of Science, Marquette University, Wisconsin.
- Xiaroran, L.I. and Yuanfeng, W. (2010), "Three-dimensional nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete structures based on ANSYS program", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer Engineering and Technology, Chengdu, April.
- Yang, Z.J. and Chen, J. (2005), "Finite element modelling of multiple cohesive discrete crack propagation in reinforced concrete beams", Eng. Fract. Mech., 72, 2280-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfracmech.2005.02.004
- Zhao, J. and Sritharantharan, S. (2007), "Modeling of strain penetration in fiber based analysis of reinforced concrete structures", ACI Struct. J., 104(2), 134-14.