- Volume 30 Issue 5
Objectives : Vertigo is a sensation of spinning while stationary. It is commonly associated with nausea or vomiting, unsteadiness (postural instability), falls. It can affect a person's thoughts and life style. Recurrent episodes in those with vertigo are common and frequently impair the quality of life. The purpose of this study was to report the clinical effects of herbal medicine on vertigo.Methods : We employed oriental medical treatments; herbal-medication (Banhabaekchulcheonma-tang gamibang), acupuncture and moxibustion. At the same time, the blood cupping therapy in the neck area was applied. We treated the patients two or three times a week with oriental therapy methods. They took medicine three times a day after a meal. During taking medicine, we let the patients avoid fatty food, flour based food, and alcohol. We determined the course of treatment with visual analogue scale (VAS). We let them respond to a VAS item between 0 and 10 point continuously. The symptoms that we evaluated were vertigo, headache, chest discomfort, nausea and vomiting.Results : After taking treatment - acupuncture and moxibustion during some period and taking herbal-medicine, the VAS scale was gradually getting decreased. Generally the symptom of vomitting and nausea was eased at first, and then the symptom of chest discomfort, headache, vertigo was relieved.Conclusions : Banhabaekchulcheonma-tang gamibang was effective in the treatment of vertigo and its related symptoms, headache, chest discomfort, nausea and vomiting.
Banhabaekchulcheonma-tang;Banhabaekchulcheonma-tang gamibang;Vertigo;VAS Scale
- Shin JY. Compilation of Formulas and Medicinals. Seoul : Seungbosa. 2005 : 163.
- Lee SI. The explication of Chunjin prescription. Seoul : Seungbosa. 1995 : 181.
- Kim JI. The Clinical lecture on medical herbs. Seoul : Daeseung medical book publisher. 2000 : 86-8, 209, 408, 460, 485, 502, 506, 744-5.
- Acupuncture department of all-Korea oriental colleges. Acupuncture medicine. Seoul : Jeapmoondang. 1991 : 324, 667-8, 1329.
- Song HJ. The East-West medical consideration of etiology and pathology on giddiness. J K.O.M.S. 1988 ; 7(1) : 68-78.
- Lee HJ, Shin HS, Kim DH, Jo CH, Lim SM, An JJ, Jo HK, Kim YS, Seol IC, Yoo HR. Statistical Study in 70 Cases for Dizziness Patients on the Effect of Jaeumgeonbi-tang Gamibang. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2010 ; 24(1) : 171-6.
- Lee SH, Kim SG, Ra SY, Kim MS, Yoon KB. A Clinical Review of Chunghunwhadam-Tang in Dizziness and Vertigo Patients. J Orient Chr Dis. 2001 ; 7(1) : 92-9.
- Ko H, Lee E. A clinical review of Zexie-tang in vertigo and gait imbalance patients-2cases. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2000 ; 21(3) : 511-4.
- Jeong DL, Hong SU. A case report of Benign Paroxymal Vertigo Patient. J Korean Orient Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2008 ; 2(2) : 198-205.
- Song JS, Lee YJ, Choi JH, Kim JH, Park SY, Seo MS. Three cases of Benign Paroxymal Positional Vertigo patient Treated with Yeonggyechulgam-tang. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2010 ; 23(2) : 210-7.
- Jo CH, Kim SJ, Lee HJ, Shin HS, An JJ, Jo HK, Kim YS, Seol IC, Yoo HR. 1 Case Study of the Effect of Jaeumgeonbi-tang Gamibang on the functional dizziness. Daejeon Univ Inst Orient Med. 2011 ; 20(1) : 171-6.
- An SH, Choi JS, Cho CS, Kim CJ. Five Case Report of Peripheral Vertigo Diagnosed Dam Hun with Oriental Medical Treatment-Banhabaekchulchunma-tang gagam. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2009 ; 23(1) : 263-8.
- Huangtaikang, Shicheng. A complete collection of Modern herb prescription study. Beijing : Science publisher. 1996 : 427.
- Chenwei, Luyiping. A series of basic theoretical system on oriental medicine Prescription medicine. Seoul : Euisungdang. 1993 : 430-1.
- Wangrenan. A variorum edition of Medical Prescriptions. Taipei : Xuanfeng publisher. 1977 : 251.
- Kim SY, Won HY, Choi CW, Kim KS, Lee DW. The effects of Banhabackchulchunma-Tang(BCT) on Dementia induced by focal brain ischemic injury in rats. J Orient Neu. 2006 ; 17(2) : 61-73.
- Yeun GY. Oriental Clinical Prescription Medicine. Seoul : Myungbo publisher. 1973 : 103, 569.
- Chio BT, Kim HJ. Clinical Case of the Phlegm-retention Type Patient with Urticaria, Headache-Vertigo Symptoms. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2008 ; 22(1) : 252-5.
- Lee SH, Lee JS, Jung HS, Choi WC, Kim KS. A Case Report of Non-small Cell Lung Cancer with Brain Metastasis Patient Treated with Banhabaekchulcheonma-tang Gamibang. J Kor Trad Oncol. 2009 ; 14(1) : 45-52.
- Lee HW, Chang YJ, Hong SU. A Case of Globus Hystericus caused by psychological, digestive disorder. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2013 ; 26(2) : 88-97. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2013.26.2.088
- Kim JE, Yang SJ, Cho SH, Yeo EJ, Park KM, Kim KO. A Case Report of Conversion Disorder with Climacteric Symptoms. J Obstet Gynecol. 2012 ; 25(4) : 144-53.
- Lee HJ, Seong YJ, Kim SD, Moon KJ, Kim JB, Kim GW, Shin HM. Enhanced Vasorelaxation of BanhabackchulChunma-Tang and Involved Mechanism. Korean J Orient Physiol Pathol. 2005 ; 19(5) : 1311-6.
- Harrison's Internal Medicine Compilation Committee. Harrison's Internal Medicine. Seoul : Jungdahm. 1997 : 98-101.
- Professors of all Korean medical school. Today's Diagnosis & Treatment. Seoul : Hanwoori. 1999 : 251-4.
- Bessen, Medermoff. Cecil-Loeb textbook of medicine. Philadephia, London, Toronto : W.B Saunders Co., 1975 : 1961-6.
- Lee WS. The East-West medical consideration on giddiness. East-West Med. 1990 ; 15(3) : 5-14.
- Li Chan. Introduction to Medicine. Seoul : Hanseounngsa. 1978 : 357.
- Koo BH. Oriental Internal Medicine. Seoul : Seowondang. 1985 : 182-6.
- Kim BW. Liver Internal Medicine. Seoul : Oriental medical researcher publisher. 1989 : 62-7.
- Whang EW. Oriental Psychiatry. Seoul : Modern medical book publisher. 1987 : 359-61.
- Wangkentang. Six departments Standards of Pattern/Syndrome. Seoul : Dongmyungsa. 1976 : 201-5.
- Zhangyinan Mayuantai. Huangdi’s Internal Classic. Taipei : Dailianguofeng publisher. 1977 : 130.
- Cardiac Internal Medicine department of all-Korea oriental colleges. Cardiac Internal Medicine. Seoul : Seowondang. 1999 : 400-19.
- Go SK. Giddiness. Seoul : Euilim. 1999 : 20-3.
- Baloh RW. Vertigo. Lancet. 1998 : 1841-6.
- Chenwuze. The prescriptions on three factors. Taipei : Dailianguofeng publisher. 1978 : 6-7.
- Liver Internal Medicine department of all-Korea oriental colleges. Liver Internal Medicine. Seoul : Oriental medical research center. 1992 : 63-71.
- Li Gao. Ligao ten medical book. Taipei : Ohju publisher. 1973 : 67, 75.
- Li Gao. Treatise on the Spleen and Stomach. Beijing : Renminweisheng publisher. 1995: 111.