- Volume 30 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Haedokgumhwa-san Water Extracts on LPS-induced Inflammatory Response in Macrophage
해독금화산 물추출물이 LPS로 유도된 대식세포의 염증반응에 미치는 영향
LIM, Jae-Soo;KANG, Ok-Hwa;SEO, Yun-Soo;KWON, Dong-Yeul
- Received : 2015.08.26
- Accepted : 2015.10.02
- Published : 2015.09.30
Objectives : TheHaedokgumhwa-sanwater extract (HDKHS) is used in Korea, Japan and China as a traditional therapeutic agent to cure an infectious disease. But its study is not enough. Therefore, the present study focused on the elucidation of HDKHS to investigate the anti-inflammatory effects and to established the possible mechanisms involved in its action on LPS-stimulated immune response in murine macrophages.Methods : Inflammatory status was induced by LPS and measured by increasement of inflammatory mediators. LPS induced secretions of NO and PGE2in RAW 264.7 cells were measured using griess reagent and enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) kit respectively. production of IL-6 was examined using ELISA kit and expression of IL-6 mRNA was measured by RT-PCR method. To investigate the effects of HDKHS on inflammatory mediators, such as iNOS, COX-2 and MAPKs, western blot and RT-PCR were performed.Results : HDKHS significantly reduced production of NO and PGE2 which were induced by LPS. Also, activation of IL-6 was reduced both protein and mRNA levels. The expressions of inflammatory mediator include iNOS and COX-2 were decreased by pretreatment with HDKHS. futhermore The result showed HDKHS down-regulate the LPS induced phosphorylation of ERK 1/2, one of the MAPK family, which is considered as a main regulator of transmission from pathogens to nucleus of immune cells.Conclusions : Our results suggest that the anti-inflammatory properties of HDKHS may stem from the inhibition of pro-inflammatory mediators via suppression of initiation of inflammatory response by inhibiting MAPKs signaling pathways.
Haedokgumhwa-san;Anti-inflammatory activity;Macrophages;Mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs)
- Kuo CL, Chi CW, Liu TY. The anti-inflammatory potential of berberine in vitro and in vivo. Cancer letters. 2004 ; 203 : 127-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2003.09.002
- Han JM, Jin YY, Kim HY, Park KH, Lee WS, Jeong TS. Lavandulyl flavonoids from Sophora flavescens suppress lipopolysaccharide-induced activation of nuclear factor-kappaB and mitogen- activated protein kinases in RAW264.7 cells. Biol Pharm Bull. 2010 ; 33(6) : 1019-23. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.33.1019
- Su YW, Chiou WF, Chao SH, Lee MH, Chen CC, Tsai YC. Ligustilide prevents LPS-induced iNOS expression in RAW 264.7 macrophages by preventing ROS production and down-regulating the MAPK, NF-κB and AP-1 signaling pathways. Int Immunopharmacol. 2011 ; 11(9) : 1166-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intimp.2011.03.014
- Aalaei-andabili SH, Rezaei N. Toll like receptor (TLR)-induced differential expression of microRNAs (MiRs) promotes proper immune response against infections: a systematic review. J Infect. 2013 ; 67(4) : 251-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinf.2013.07.016
- Weidinger A, Kozlov AV. Biological Activities of Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species: Oxidative Stress versus Signal Transduction. Biomolecules. 2015 ; 5(2) : 472-84. https://doi.org/10.3390/biom5020472
- Ryu JH, Ahn H, Kim JY, Kim YK. Inhibitory activity of plant extracts on nitric oxide synthesis in LPS-actived macrophage. Phytother Res. 2003 ; 17(5) : 485-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.1180
- Radulovic M, Bauman WA, Wecht JM, LaFountaine M, Kahn N, Hobson J, Singh K, Renzi C, Yen C, Schilero GJ. Biomarkers of inflammation in persons with chronic tetraplegia. J Breath Res. 2015 ; 9(3) : 036001. https://doi.org/10.1088/1752-7155/9/3/036001
- Kobayashi Y. The regulatory role of nitric oxide in proinflammatory cytokine expression during the induction and resolution of inflammation. J Leukoc Biol. 2010 ; 88(6) : 1157-62. https://doi.org/10.1189/jlb.0310149
- Ishikura H, Nakamura Y, Kawano Y, Tanaka J, Mizunuma M, Ohta D, Nishida T, Murai A. Intravenous immunoglobulin improves sepsis-induced coagulopathy: A retrospective, single-center observational study. J Crit Care. 2015 ; 30(3) : 579-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrc.2015.02.012
- van de Vyver M, Engelbrecht L, Smith C, Myburgh KH. Neutrophil and monocyte responses to downhill running: Intracellular contents of MPO, IL-6, IL-10, pstat3, and SOCS3. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2015 ; doi: 10.1111/sms.12497. https://doi.org/10.1111/sms.12497.
- Jones SA, Scheller J, Rose-John S. Therapeutic strategies for the clinical blockade of IL-6/gp130 signaling. J Clin Invest. 2011 ; 121(9) : 3375-83. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI57158
- Heo J. Donguibogam. 9th ed. Seoul : Namsandang. 2009 : 396.
- Heo J. Donguibogam. 9th ed. Seoul : Namsandang. 2009 : 182.
- Lee HI, Lee SK, Kwon YM, Song YS. Antibacterial effect of Haedokgeumhwa-san against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Orient Rehabilitation Med. 2015 ; 25(2) : 1-13. https://doi.org/10.18325/jkmr.2015.25.3.1
- Puddu P, Latorre D, Valenti P, Gessani S. Immunoregulatory role of lactoferrin-lipopolysaccharide interactions. Biometals. 2010 ; 23(3) : 387-97. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10534-010-9307-3
- McNelis JC, Olefsky JM. Macrophages, immunity, and metabolic disease. Immunity. 2014 ; 41(1) : 36-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2014.05.010
- Predonzani A, Calì B, Agnellini AH, Molon B. Spotlights on immunological effects of reactive nitrogen species: When inflammation says nitric oxide. World J Exp Med. 2015 ; 5(2) : 64-76. https://doi.org/10.5493/wjem.v5.i2.64
- Lee JK. Analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect of Scutellaria baicalensis. Kyung Won University. 2008.
- Fang H, Pengal RA, Cao X, Ganesan LP, Wewers MD, Marsh CB, Tridandapani S. Lipopolysaccharide -induced macrophage inflammatory response is regulated by SHIP. J Immunol 2004 ; 173 : 360-6. https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.173.1.360
- Jang SI, Kim BH, Lee WY, An SJ, Choi HG, Jeon BH, Chung HT, Rho JR, Kim YJ, Chai KY. Stylopine from Chelidonium majus inhibits LPS-induced inflammatory mediators in RAW 264.7 cells. Arch Pharm Res. 2004 ; 27(9) : 923-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02975845
- Kim JB, Han AR, Park EY, Kim JY, Cho W, Lee J, Seo EK, Lee KT. Inhibition of LPS-induced iNOS, COX-2 and cytokines expression by poncirin through the NF-kappaB inactivation in RAW 264.7 macrophage cells. Biol Pharm Bull 2007 ; 30(12) : 2345-51. https://doi.org/10.1248/bpb.30.2345
- Donguihak Dictionary Compilation Committee. New donguihak Dictionary. seoul : Yeo Gangchulpansa. 2003 : 218.
- Wang HT, Fang YQ, You P, Bao XC, Yuan HR, Ma J, Wang FF, Li KC. Expression changes of inflammatory factors in the rat lung of decompression sickness induced by fast buoyancy ascent escape. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2015 ; 42(1) : 15-22.
- Lomba KS, de Souza Breves Beiler TF, Sete MR, Pires FR, da Silva Figueredo CM. Use of minimally invasive gingival biopsies in the study of inflammatory mediators expression and their correlation with gingival fluid in patients with chronic periodontitis. Indian J Dent Res. 2015 ; 26(2) : 126-30. https://doi.org/10.4103/0970-9290.159134
- Bae BC. Commentary on Nei-Jing. Seoul : Sungbosa. 200, 725-8.
- Mum RM. Documentary Consideration about Stress. J Orient Neuropsychiatry. 1991 ; 2(1) : 38-50.
- Ju JH. Shinpyeon Dangyesimbeopbuyeo(sang). seoul : Dae Seong munhwasa. 1993 : 255.
- Heo J. Donguibogam. 9th ed. Seoul : Namsandang. 2009 : 188.
Grant : 한방체액조절연구센터