- Volume 30 Issue 5
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to examine the prescription intention of Korean medicine doctors on botanical drug.Methods : The subjects in this study were 340 Korean medicine doctors in Korean medical institutions, on whom a survey was conducted from July 1 to August 31, 2014.Results : The factors that affected the prescription decision making of the Korean medicine doctors were drug superiority, level of Interest, Recognition, marketing of sales associates of pharmaceutical companies and satisfaction with information provided by those companies. When the internal consistency of the variables was measured, that was above 0.8.Conclusions : Accordingly, well-planned education and promotion efforts are required to encourage Korean medicine doctors to put more prescription intention in botanical drug. This study had some limitations : First, the subjects were selected in a manner to allow for the convenience of this researcher, and the findings might not be generalizable. Second, there was a problem with the time for the study in that there were quite fierce disputes on botanical drug at that time. Third, the majority of the subjects run their own hospitals, and the number of them was small. So it's not possible for them to represent every Korean medicine doctor.
botanical drug;prescription intention
- Lee SH. Health technology assessment in Korea. Korean J Clin Oncol. 2009 ; 5(2) : 47-64. https://doi.org/10.14216/kjco.09014
- Joo HY, Kim HS, Lim SH, Lee SD, Kang H, Kim HO, Park YM. Original Article : A Survey on the Topical Steroid Prescriptions of Dermatologists Background : A recent survey on dermatology outpatient. Korean J Dermatol. 2009 ; 47(9) : 1004-11.
- Eisenberg JM. Variation in medical decision marking. In : Doctors' decisions and the cost of medical care. Ann Arbor. Michigan : Health Administration Press Perspectives. 1986 : 5-27.
- Lee HS, Kim HJ. Factors affecting the prescription of new drugs by physicians : Focusing on drug factors and communication channels. Health Commun Res. 2011 ; 5 : 1-39.
- Miller RR. Prescribing habits of physicians-A review of studies on prescribing of drugs, part 4-6. Drug Intelligence and Clinical Pharmacy. 1974 ; 7 : 557-62.
- Van den Bulte C, Lilien GL. Medical innovation revisited : Social contagion versus marketing effort. Am J Sociol. 2001 ; 106(5) : 1409-35. https://doi.org/10.1086/320819
- Hemminki E. Review of literature on the factors affecting drug prescribing. Soc Sci Med. 1975 ; 9 : 111-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0037-7856(75)90103-1
- Kim SR, Kim JH. Effect analysis for total management of service propriety, Report of Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Seoul : Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. 2004.
- Pearson SA, Ross-Degnan D, Payson A, Soumerai SB. Changing Medication use in managed care : A critical review of the available evidence. Am J Manag Care. 2003 ; 9(7) : 15-31.
- Lexchin J. Improving the appropriateness of physician prescribing. Int J Health Services. 1998 ; 28(2) : 253-67. https://doi.org/10.2190/ABWY-YFPA-ME5R-7BQP
- Lee BH, Lee YJ, Park HJ, Kwon OM, Han CH. A Survey on the Actual State of Recognition of New Health Technology in Korean Medical Doctors. Korean J Acup. 2012 ; 29(2) : 327-42.
- Kim JY. Political Economy of Traditional Knowledge : Bioeconomization of Korean Medicine and the Dispute on Botanical Drug. Discourse 201. 2014 ; 17(1) : 77-111. https://doi.org/10.17789/discou.2014.17.1.003
- Kim HN. Is prescription right of botanical drug to whom? Medical Policy Forum. 2012 ; 10(3) : 73-8.
- Hwang IT. botanical drug, Must call 'Herb medicine drossing', Medipana News. Retrieved Oct. 20, 2014, from http : //medipana.com/news/news_viewer.asp?NewsNum=136899&MainKind=A&NewsKind=103&vCount=12&vKind=1&Page=6&Qstring=sWord%3D%C3%B5%BF%AC%B9%B0%BD%C5%BE%E0%26sDate%3D.
- White L, Johnson LW. Relative influence of physicians and patients in the prescribing decision. J Med Marketing. 2002 ; 2(2) : 144-58. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jmm.5040068
- Smith B. An empirical investigation of marketing strategy quality in medical markets. J Med Marketing. 2003 ; 3(2) : 153-62. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jmm.5040114
- Wright RF, Lundstrom WJ. "Physicians" perceptions of pharmaceutical sales representatives. J Med Marketing. 2004 ; 4(1) : 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jmm.5040140
- Eagle L, Kitchen P. Direct consumer promotion of prescription drugs. J Med Marketing. 2002 ; 2(4) : 293-310. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jmm.5040088
- Park CW. Analysis of factors on health care providers' choice of medicines : focusing on hypertension medicine. Kyungsung University. 2012.
- Bae EY. Determinants of market share in the pharmaceutical industry, School of Publuc Health. Seoul University. 2000.
- Denig P, Haaijer-Ruskamp FM, Zusling DH. How physicians choose drugs. Soc Sci Med. 1988 ; 27(12) : 1381-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(88)90203-1
- Rogers EM. Diffusion of Innovations. Seoul : Communication Books. 2005.
- Park YK. Present and future of drug development based on oriental medicine-botanical drug. Retrieved Aug. 11, 2015, from http : //www.bioin.or.kr/board.do?num=195372&cmd=view&bid=repor.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. 3rd Research and development promotion plan for botanical drug. Seoul : Korea Health Industry Development Institute. 2011.
- Seo BI, Kim SH, Investigation about Health Insurance of Oriental Medicine. East-West Medicine. 1995 ; 20(3) : 3-20.
- Kim HN, Kim KH. A Legal Review on Physical Therapists' Roles and Doctors' Superintendency. Korean Soc Law Med Semi. 2010 ; 11(2) : 343-4.
- Kim DY. Botanical drug policy, reappraise from starting point. Retrieved Oct. 20, 2014, from http : //www.akomnews.com/subpage/print.htm?uid=82698.
- Lee HS. Troublesomeness botanical drug. Retrieved Oct. 20, 2014, from http : //www.docdocdoc.co.kr/news/newsview.php?newscd=2014072700007.
- Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. 5-year Comprehensive Plan to Develop Korean Traditional Medicine. Daejeon : Korea Institute of Oriental Medicine. 2011.