- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Effect of Austenitizing Temperature on the Hardenability and Tensile Properties of Boron Steels
오스테나이트화 온도에 따른 보론강의 경화능과 인장 특성
- Hwang, Byoungchul (Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University of Science and Technology)
- 황병철 (서울과학기술대학교 신소재공학과)
- Received : 2015.08.21
- Accepted : 2015.08.27
- Published : 2015.09.27
The hardenability of boron steel specimens with different molybdenum and chromium contents was investigated using dilatometry and microstructural observations, and then was quantitatively measured at a critical cooling rate corresponding to 90 % martensite hardness obtained from a hardness distribution plotted as a function of cooling rate. Based on the results, the effect of an austenitizing temperature on the hardenability and tensile properties was discussed in terms of segregation and precipitation behavior of boron atoms at austenite grain boundaries. The molybdenum addition completely suppressed the formation of pro-eutectoid ferrite even at the slowest cooling rate of
- Ph. Maitrepierre, D. Thivellier and R. Tricot, Metall. Trans. A, 6, 287 (1975). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02667283
- D. V. Doane and J. S. Kirkaldy, Hardenability Concepts with Application to Steel, TMS-AIME, Warrendale, PA (1978).
- S. K. Banerji and J. E. Morral, Proc. Int. Symp. Boron in Steels, TMS-AIME, PA (1979).
- D. H. Werner, Boron and Boron Containing Steels, Verlag Stahleisen mbH, Dusseldorf (1995).
- Front of Research on Behavior of Boron in Steels, Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. (2003).
- H. Asahi, ISIJ Int., 42, 1150 (2002). https://doi.org/10.2355/isijinternational.42.1150
- L. Karlsson, H. Norden and H. Odelius, Acta Metall., 36, 1 (1988). https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6160(88)90023-5
- X. L. He, Y. Y. Chu and J. J. Jonas, Acta Metall., 37, 147 (1989). https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-6160(89)90274-5
- D. J. Mun, E. J. Shin, Y. W. Choi, J. S. Lee and Y. M. Koo, Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 545, 214 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.03.047
- K. A. Taylor, Metall. Trans. A, 23, 107 (1992). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02660858
- M. Ueno and T. Inoue, Trans. Iron Steel Inst. Jpn., 13, 210 (1973).
- Y-K. Lee, J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 21, 1253 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1016555119230
- Standard Test Methods for Determining Hardenability of Steel, ASTM International, Designation: A 255-02 (2002).
- G. Krauss, Principles of Heat Treatment of Steel, ASM Intl. (1989).
- B. Hwang, D-W. Suh and S-J. Kim, Scr. Mater., 64, 1118 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scriptamat.2011.03.003
- S. Khare, K. Lee and H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia, Int. J. Mat. Res., 100, 1513 (2009). https://doi.org/10.3139/146.110222