- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Osteoarthritis Model Induced by Monosodium Iodoacetate: Good Model for Long-term Drug Efficacy Test
Monosodium Iodoacetate 유발 골관절염 모델: 장기적인 약물효능 평가에 적합한가?
- Seo, Il-Bok (Department of Anatomy, College of Korean Medicine, Semyung University) ;
- Park, Dong-Su (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Semyung University)
- Received : 2015.09.18
- Accepted : 2015.10.04
- Published : 2015.10.31
Objectives This study was aimed to offer basic data in long term drug efficacy test using monosodium iodoacetate-induced osteoarthrits model. Methods Sixty male rats were divided into normal and osteoarthritic group. Rats of normal group were injected with 0.1 ml physiological saline, and rats of osteoarthritic group were inected with 0.1 ml monosodium iodoacetate (3 mg/ml) into each left and right knee joint cavities. Gross examination, proteoglycan contents and histopathological examination on the knee joint were performed at 10, 20, 40, and 60 days after injection. Results Grossly, degenerative changes at 10 days, desquamation at 40 days, and ulceration of articular cartilages at 60 days were observed. Proteoglycan contents in articular cartilages were decreased rapidly to 40 days, after than decreased gradually. Osteoarthritic scores were increased rapidly to 20 days, after than increased gradually to 60 days. Conclusions From above results, osteoarthritis model induced by a single intra-articular injection of monosodium iodoacetete is useful model for long term drug efficacy test.
Supported by : 세명대학교
- Rosenberg AE. Bones, Joints, and Soft-Tissue Tumors. In:Kumar V, Abbas AK, Fausto N, Aster JC, eds. Pathologic Basis of Disease. 8th ed. Philadelphia:Saunders. 2010:1235-6.
- Ministry of health , Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea Health Statistics 2013 : Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Ministry of health Division of Health Policy. 2013:678-80.
- Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. 3th edition. Seoul: Kunja Publishing INC. 2011:84-97.
- Hou PW, Fu PK, Hsu HC, Hsieh CL. Traditional Chinese medicine in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. J Tradit Complement Med. 2015; In press. Available on line.
- Yoshioka M, Coutts R, Amiel D, Hacker S. Characterization of a model osteoarthritis in the rabbit knee. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 1996;4:87-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1063-4584(05)80318-8
- van der Kraan PM, Vitters EL. Degenerative knee joint lesions in mice after a single intra-articular collagenase injection. A new model of osteoarthritis. J Exp Pathol. 1990;71(1):19-31.
- Sibelt M, Waarsing JH, Groen HC, Muller C, Kolewijn SJ, de Blois E, Verhaar JAN, de Jong M, Weinans H. Inhibited osteoclastic bone resorption through alendronate treatment in rats reduces severe osteoarthritis progression. Bone. 2014;66:163-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2014.06.009
- Janusz MJ, Hookfin EB, Heitmeyer SA, Woessner JF, Freemont AJ, Hoyland JA, Brown KK, Hsieh LC, Almstead NG, De B, Natchus MG, Pikul S, Taiwo YO. Moderation of iodoacetate-induced experimental osteoarthritis in rats by matrix metalloproteinase inhibitors. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2001;9:751-60. https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.2001.0472
- Guingamp C, Gegout-Pottie P, Philippe L, Terlain B, Netter P, Cillet P. Mono-iodoacetate-induced experimental osteoarthritis-A dose response study of loss of mobility, morphology, and biochemistry. Arthritis Rheum. 1997;40:1670-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780400917
- Kim YM, Jung SH, Kim SJ, Seo IB. Effects of Gamisoyeoum-Tang on the Monosodium Iodoacetate-induced Osteoarthritis in Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2008;18(1):15-32.
- Kim JY, Kim SJ, Seo IB, Jung SH. Effects of Buja-tang Treatment on the Early Change of the Monosodium Iodoacetate-induced Osteoarthritis in Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2011;21(2):87-100.
- Lee HE, Oh MS. Effects of Mahwangbujaseshin-tang on the monosodium iodoacetate(MIA)-induced osteoarthritis in Rats. Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014;24(2):65-81.
Rudolphi K, Gerwin N, Verzijl N, van der Kraan P, van den Berg W. Pralnacasan, an inhibitor of interleukin-
$1\beta$converting enzyme, reduces joint damage in two murine models of osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2003;11(10):738-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1063-4584(03)00153-5
- Kalbhen DA. Chemical model of osteoarthritis - a pharmacological evaluation. J Rheumatol. 1987;14:130-1.
- van der Kraan PM, Vitters EL, Van Beuningen HM, van den Berg WB. Proteoglycan synthesis and osteophyte formation in 'metabolically' and 'mechanically' induced murine degenerative joint disease : an in-vivo autoradiographic study. Int J Exp Pathol. 1992;73(3):335-50.
- Cournil C, Liagre B, Grosin L, Vol C, Abid A. Overexpression and induction of heat shock protein (Hsp) 70 protects in vitro and in vivo from mono-iodoacetate (MIA)-induced chondrocytes death. Arthritis Res. 2001;3(1): P41. https://doi.org/10.1186/ar369
- Tong P, Xu S, Cao G, Jin W, Guo Y, Cheng Y, Jin H, Shan L, Xial L. Chondroprotective activity of a detoxicated traditional Chinese medicine (Fuzi) of Aconitum carmichaeli Debx against severe-stage osteoarthritis model induced by mono-iodoacetate. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014;151:740-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2013.11.048
- Naito K, Watari T, Furuhata A, Yomogida S, Sakamoto K, Kurosawa H, Kaneko K, Nagaoka I. Evaluation of the effect of glucosamine on and experimental rat osteoarthritis model. Life Sci. 2010;86:538-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2010.02.015
- Dijkgraaf LC, de Bont LGM, Boering G, Liem RSB. Normal cartilage structure, biochemistry, and metabolism: A review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1995;53:924-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(95)90283-X
- Dijkgraaf LC, de Bont LGM, Boering G, Liem RSB. The structure, biochemistry, and metabolism of osteoarthritic cartilage: A review of the literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1995;53:1182-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-2391(95)90632-0