- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Manual Therapy in the Treatment of Temporomandibular Disorders: A Protocol for a Systematic Review
측두하악 장애 치료를 위한 수기치료에 대한 체계적 고찰의 프로토콜
- Kim, Hyungsuk (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Jung, Jae-Young (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Chung, Seok-Hee (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2015.09.16
- Accepted : 2015.10.06
- Published : 2015.10.31
Objectives This systematic review will analyse randomised controlled trials (RCTs) of manual therapy in patients with temporomandibular disorders (TMDs) to evaluate the efficacy of this approach. Methods RCTs will be identified in the following ten databases based on searches starting with their inception: MEDLINE, EMBASE, CENTRAL, four Korean databases as KoreaMed, DBPIA, NDSL, and RISS and three Chinese databases as CNKI, VIP and Wanfang. The quality of these studies will be analysed using the Cochrane risk of bias. A meta-analysis will be conducted, and subgroup analysis will be considered if comparatively large heterogeneity is detected. Conclusions We plan to publish this systematic review in a peer-reviewed journal. Findings from this review may contribute to the treatment process in clinical situations. Trial registration number: PROSPERO 2015: CRD42015024090
- Liu F, Steinkeler A. Epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of temporomandibular disorders. Dent Clin North Am 2013;57:465-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cden.2013.04.006
- Noiman M, Garty A, Maimon Y, Miller U, Lev-Ari S. Acupuncture for Treating Temporomandibular Disorder: Retrospective Study on Safety and Efficacy. Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies 2010;3:260-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2005-2901(10)60046-5
- Lipton JA, Ship JA, Larach-Robinson D. Estimated prevalence and distribution of reported orofacial pain in the United States. J Am Dent Assoc 1993;124:115-21.
- Lee H-S, Baek H-S, Song D-S, Kim H-C, Kim H-G, Kim B-J, Kim M-S, Shin S-H, Jung S-H, Kim C-H. Effect of simultaneous therapy of arthrocentesis and occlusal splints on temporomandibular disorders: anterior disc displacement without reduction. J Korean Assoc Oral Maxillofac Surg 2013;39:14-20. https://doi.org/10.5125/jkaoms.2013.39.1.14
- Aure OF, Nilsen JH, Vasseljen O. Manual therapy and exercise therapy in patients with chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial with 1-year follow-up. Spine 2003;28:525-32.
- McNeely ML, Armijo Olivo S, Magee DJ. A systematic review of the effectiveness of physical therapy interventions for temporomandibular disorders. Phys Ther 2006;86:710-25.
- Tsertsvadze A, Clar C, Court R, Clarke A, Mistry H, Sutcliffe P. Cost-effectiveness of manual therapy for the management of musculoskeletal conditions: a systematic review and narrative synthesis of evidence from randomized controlled trials. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2014;37:343-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.05.001
- Bevilaqua-Grossi D, Chaves TC, de Oliveira AS. Cervical spine signs and symptoms: perpetuating rather than predisposing factors for temporomandibular disorders in women. J Appl Oral Sci 2007;15:259-64. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1678-77572007000400004
- Da Costa DRA, de Lima Ferreira AP, Pereira TAB, Porporatti AL, Conti PCR, Costa YM, Bonjardim LR. Neck disability is associated with masticatory myofascial pain and regional muscle sensitivity. Archives of Oral Biology 2015;60:745-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archoralbio.2015.02.009
- Bialosky JE, Bishop MD, Price DD, Robinson ME, George SZ. The mechanisms of manual therapy in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain: A comprehensive model. Manual Therapy 2009;14:531-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2008.09.001
- Fernandez-de-las-Penas C, Perez-de-Heredia M, Brea-Rivero M, Miangolarra-Page JC. Immediate effects on pressure pain threshold following a single cervical spine manipulation in healthy subjects. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2007;37:325-9. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2007.2542
- Gonzalez-Iglesias J, Cleland JA, Neto F, Hall T, Fernandez-de-las-Penas C. Mobilization with movement, thoracic spine manipulation, and dry needling for the management of temporomandibular disorder: a prospective case series. Physiother Theory Pract 2013;29:586-95. https://doi.org/10.3109/09593985.2013.783895
- Wright A. Hypoalgesia post-manipulative therapy: a review of a potential neurophysiological mechanism. Man Ther 1995;1:11-6. https://doi.org/10.1054/math.1995.0244
- Medlicott MS, Harris SR. A systematic review of the effectiveness of exercise, manual therapy, electrotherapy, relaxation training, and biofeedback in the management of temporomandibular disorder. Phys Ther 2006;86:955-73.
- Calixtre LB, Moreira RFC, Franchini GH, Alburquerque-Sendin F, Oliveira AB. Manual therapy for the management of pain and limited range of motion in subjects with signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorder: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials. J Oral Rehabil 2015;1:1-15.
- Martins WR, Blasczyk JC, Aparecida Furlan de Oliveira M, LagOa Goncalves KF, Bonini-Rocha AC, Dugailly PM, de Oliveira RJ. Efficacy of musculoskeletal manual approach in the treatment of temporomandibular joint disorder: A systematic review with meta-analysis. Man Ther 2015;1:1-8.
- Dworkin SF, LeResche L. Research diagnostic criteria for temporomandibular disorders: review, criteria, examinations and specifications, critique. J Craniomandib Disord 1992;6:301-55.
- Buescher JJ. Temporomandibular joint disorders. Am Fam Physician 2007;76:1477-82.
- Higgins J, Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions version 510(updated March 2011) The Cochrane collaboration. http://www.cochranehandbook.org, 2011.
- Kalamir A, Pollard H, Vitiello AL, Bonello R. Manual therapy for temporomandibular disorders: A review of the literature. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies 2007;11:84-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2006.07.003
- Alves BMF, Macedo CR, Januzzi E, Grossmann E, Atallah AN, Peccin S. Mandibular manipulation for the treatment of temporomandibular disorder. J Craniofac Surg 2013;24:488-93. https://doi.org/10.1097/SCS.0b013e31827c81b3