- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Cervical Intervertebral Space in X-ray and Herniated Disc in CT
X-ray상 경추 추체간 간격과 CT상 경추 추간판 탈출증의 상관관계에 대한 고찰
- Shin, Woo-Suk (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University) ;
- Jung, Dong-Hoon (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University) ;
- Park, Won-Hyung (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University) ;
- Cha, Yun-Yeop (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Sang-Ji University)
- 신우석 (상지대학교 부속한방병원 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 정동훈 (상지대학교 부속한방병원 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 박원형 (상지대학교 부속한방병원 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 차윤엽 (상지대학교 부속한방병원 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2015.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.10.06
- Published : 2015.10.31
Objectives To investigate the relationship between cervical intervertebral space narrowing in the X-ray and HIVD level of cervical spine in the CT image. Methods We studied 101 subjects who were taken cervical spine X-ray and CT. Intervertebral space were measured at the anterior, middle and posterior portion of each cervical disc in the X-ray. Considering individual difference, intervertebral space was set as value divided by upper width of lower vertebral body. We analyzed statistically adjusted intervertebral space of normal group and herniated disc group using student' t t-test. Results Intervertebral space of cervical spine was narrowed in the herniated disc group. But there was no significant difference at C2~C3. Conclusions We found that narrowing intervertebral space of cervical spine is associated with herniated disc. Further clinical observation is needed.
Supported by : 상지대학교
- Haldeman S, Carroll LJ, Cassidy JD. Introduction/Mandate: the empowerment of people with neck pain. The Bone and Joint Decade 2000-2010 Task Force on Neck Pain and Its Associated Disorders. Spine. 2008;33:S8-13. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e3181643f51
- Wang WTJ, Oslon SL, Campbell AH, Hanten WP and Gleeson PB. Effectiveness of physical therapy for patient with neck: An individualized approach using a clinical decision-making algorithm. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;82(3):203-18. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHM.0000052700.48757.CF
- The Society of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. Korean Rehabilitation. Medicine. Seoul:Koonja. 2015:62-5.
- Adams MA, Roughley PJ. What is intervertebral disc degeneration, and what causes it?. Spine. 2006;31(18):2151-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000231761.73859.2c
- Matsumoto M, Fujimura Y, Suzuki N, Nishi Y, Nakamura M, Yabe Y, Shiga H. MRI of cervical intervertebral discs in asymptomatic subjects. J Bone Joint Surg(Br). 1998;80:19-24. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.80B1.7929
- Jang KU, Kim SS, Seo JH. The reliable plain X-ray findings in herniated cervical disc disease. Journal of the Korean Association of Pain Medicine. 2005;4(1):78-82.
- Kolstad F, Myhr G, Kvistad KA, Nygaard OP, Leivseth G. Degeneration and height of cervical discs classified from MRI compared with precise height measurements from radiographs. European Journal of Radiology. 2005;55:415-20. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2005.02.005
- Lee KS, Kim WW, Seong IH, Cho CY. The relationship between Width of Lumbar Disc Space and Severity of Herniated Intervertebral Disc in Patients Diagnosis Disc space narrowing. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2013;8(2):79-86.
- Kim EY, Kim YW, Lee KM, Kim JY, Kim HE, Kang YH, Seo JC, Lim SC, Han SW. Correlation analysis between narrowing disc space of lumbar X-ray and HIVD of L-spine CT in lumbosacral strain patients. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion. 2002;19(6):125-33.
- Frobin W, Leivseth G, Biggemann M, Brinckmann P. Vertebral height, disc height, posteroanterior displacement and dens-atlas gap in the cervical spine: precision measurement protocol and normal data. Clinical Biomechanics. 2002;17:423-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0268-0033(02)00044-X
- Cho BH, Kim SW, Lee SM, Shin H. The relationship between disc degeneration, disc space narrowing and Low Back Pain after Microscopic Discectomy. Kor J Spine. 2006;3(3):162-5.
- Hong CH, Park JS, Jung KJ, Kim WJ. Measurement of the Normal Lumbar Intervertebral Disc Space Using Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Asian Spine J. 2010;4(1): 1-6. https://doi.org/10.4184/asj.2010.4.1.1
- Suh JS. CT and MRI of the spinal disorder. The Korean Journal of Pain. 1996;9(2):305-10.
- The Korean Orthopaedic Association. Orthopaedics Fifth edition. Seoul: The New Medical Journal. 2004:431-3, 451-5.
- Sato K, Kikuchi S, Yonezawa T. In vivo intradiscal pressure measurement in healthy individuals and in patients with ongoing back problems. Spine. 1999;24:2468-74. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199912010-00008
- Kim HK, Bahn HJ, Kim S, Yoon HS, Yeom SK, Hong SS. Correlation Analysis Between Radiological Result and Radiating Pain in Lumbosacral Pain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion. 2009;4(1):95-102.
- Park HJ, Jeon JS, Lee PE. Range of motion of cervical spine in normal Korean people. Journal of Korean Spine Sug. 2004;11(2):83-9. https://doi.org/10.4184/jkss.2004.11.2.83
- DA Neumann. Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal system. Seoul:Jung-Dam media. 2004:305-6.
- Sohn HM, You JW, Lee JY. The relationship between disc degeneration and morphologic changes in the intervertebral foramen of cervical spine: a cadaveric MRI and CT study. J Korean Med Sci 2004;19:101-6. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2004.19.1.101
- Lu J, Ebraheim NA, Huntoon M, Haman SP. Cervical intervertebral disc space narrowing and size of intervertebral foramina. Clinical Orthopaedics. 2000;370:259-64. https://doi.org/10.1097/00003086-200001000-00026
- Park JH, Yoo HG. The Characteristics of the Moire Topography in Patients of HIVD of Cx-spine. The Journal of Korean CHUNA Manual Medicine. 2005;6(1):21-30.
- Kim SW, Kim SJ, Son SK, Dong SO, Lee JC, Shin DJ. Correlation between the Head Forward Posture and the Site of Herniation of Single Level Cervical Intervertebral Disc. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2013;8(2):31-8.