- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Ultra Sound and Chuna in Patients with Lumbago by Meridian Muscle Electrography
혈위초음파요법과 추나요법이 요통환자 척추 기립근의 경근전도에 미치는 영향
- Cho, Dong-In (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Se-Myung University) ;
- Yoon, Jeong-won (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Se-Myung University) ;
- Park, Dong-Su (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Se-Myung University) ;
- Kim, Soon-Joong (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Se-Myung University)
- 조동인 (세명대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 윤정원 (세명대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 박동수 (세명대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실) ;
- 김순중 (세명대학교 한의과대학 한방재활의학과교실)
- Received : 2015.09.18
- Accepted : 2015.10.06
- Published : 2015.10.31
Objectives The purpose of this study is to compare the effects of ultra sound (U/S) and chuna on lumbago by meridian muscle electrography (MMEG). we performed U/S and chuna on erector spinae muscle. Methods This study was carried out on 20 lumbago patients. 20 patients were divided into U/S group and chuna group. U/S group take treatment 5 minutes. Chuna group take treatment 10 minutes. After performing U/S and chuna treatment 6 times, we compared both in terms of VAS, ODI, ROM, root mean square (RMS) and special edge frequency (SEF) on erector spinae muscle. The effect of each treatments are compared by Wilcoxon's signed rank test. The difference of effect between both groups are compared by Wilcoxon's rank-sum test. Results 1. Both U/S group and chuna group showed significant improvement in VAS and ODI after treatment. 2. U/S group showed insignificant improvement in both RMS and SEF. 3. Chuna group showed significant improvement in SEF at left lower point and RMS at left upper point. 4. Both U/S group and chuna group showed insignificant improvement in ROM. 5. There are no significant differences between both groups except SEF at left upper point. Conclusions According to above results, we found out that performing U/S or chuna on erector spinae muscle has effect in terms of VAS and ODI. But, in terms of SEF, we found out different result for both side. And we can't found out effect in terms of RMS and ROM of L-spine.
Supported by : 세명대학교
- Andersson GB. Epidemiological features of chronic lowback pain. Lancet. 1999;354(9178):581-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(99)01312-4
- The Korean Neurosurgical Society. Neurosurgery. 2nd edition. Seoul:Jung-ang munhwasa. 2002:457, 467-82.
- Bifland-Ritchie B, Woods JJ. Changes in muscle contractile properties and neural control during human muscular fatigue. Muscle Nerve. 1984;7(9):691-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.880070902
- Jeffrey EB. A preliminary study of modification of gait in real-time using surface electromyography. Appl Psychophysiol Biofeedback. 2003;28(2):129-38. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023810608949
- Seo MW. EMG analysis in disorders of extrapyramidal systems (about basal ganglia and cerebellum). J Korean Geriatr Soc. 1997;1(1):71-83.
- Potisk KP, Gregoric M, Vodovnik L. Effects of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation(TENS) on spasticity in patients with hemiplegia. Scand J Rehabil Med. 1995;27(3):169-74.
- Cho JH, Chung SH, Lee JS, Kim SS. MEMG analysis on antispastic effect of electroacupuncture and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2006;16(2): 131-43.
- Cho DI, Park DS, Jeong SH, Kim SJ. The effects of MET and ICT in patients with lumbago by meridian muscle electrography. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2014;24(3):121-30.
- Choi HY. Clinical myology. Seoul: Daesung. 1999:357-9.
- Korean society of chuna manual medicine for spine & nerves. Chuna manual medicine. Seoul:Korean society of chuna manual medicine for spine & nerves. 2011:243-9.
- The Society of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine. Korean Rehabilitation Medicine 4th. ED. Seoul:Koonja. 2015:383-5.
- Wagner DR, Tatsugawa K, Parker D, Young TA. Reliability and utility of a visual analog scale for the assessment of acute mountain sickness. High Alt Med Biol. 2007;8(1): 27-31. https://doi.org/10.1089/ham.2006.0814
- Fairbank JC, Couper J, Davies JB, O'Brien JP. The Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire. Physiotherapy. 1980;66(8): 271-3.
- Yu SM, Lee JY, Kwon KR, Lee HS. Comparative study of acupuncture, bee venom acupuncture, and bee venom pharmacopuncture on the treatment of herniation of nucleus pulpous. The acupuncture. 2006:23(5):39-54.
- Robert JC, Peter BP, Torn GM. The dominant role of psychosocial risk factors in the developent of chronic low back pain disability. Spine. 1995;20(24):2702-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199512150-00011
- Park JY. Diagnosis and management of chronic low back pain. Korean Journal of Family Practice. 2001;22(9):1349-62.
- The korean orthopaedic association. Orthopaedics. Seoul: Choishin. 1992:265-6.
- Andersson EA, Oddsson LI, Grundstrom H, Nilsson J, Thorstensson A. EMG activities of the quadratus lumborum and erector spinae muscles during flexion-relaxation and other motor tasks. Clin Biomech. 1996;11(7):392-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(96)00033-2
- McGill S, Juker D, Kropf P. Appropriately placed surface EMG electrodes reflect deep muscle activity(psoas, quadratus lumborum, abdominal wall) in the lumbar spine. J Biomech. 1996;29(11):1503-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(96)84547-7
- Wang MS, Byun YS, Park SH. Intramuscular EMG signal estimation using surface EMG signal analysis . IEIE Annual conference. 1986;370:641-2.
- Kim JY, Jung MC. The comparison of sensitivity of numerical parameters for quantification of electromyographic (EMG) signal. Journal of the Korean Institute of Industrial Engineers. 1999;25(3):330-5.
- Yun SJ, Pack SH, Kim HJ, Shin MH. Effect of Yoga performance on the waist muscle activation in the middle age woman. Korean education journal of aesthetic society. 2010;8(1):21-9.
- Korean society of exercise physiology. Exercise physiology. Seoul:Hanmi. 2010:23-138.
- Sung PS. Multifidi muscles median frequency before and after spinal stabilization exercises. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003;84(9):1313-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(03)00139-4
- Pack SH. Effect of sports massage treatment during recovery period after an acute exercise on muscle function, cardiovascular function, lactate and electrolyte. Chonbuk National University. 2009.
- Stevenson JH, Pang CY, Lindsay WK, Zuker RM. Functional, mechanical, and biochemical assessment of ultrasound therapy on tendon healing in the chicken toe. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1986:77(6):965-72. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-198606000-00017
- Falconer J, Hayes KW, Chang RW. Therapeutic ultrasound in the treatment of musculoskeletal conditions. Arthritis Care Res, 1990;3(2):85-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/1529-0131(199006)3:2<85::AID-ANR1790030206>3.0.CO;2-S
- Lee JO, Choi JD, Jung NS, Choi KH. The effect of lowintensity ultrasound on pain relief of upper trapezius. KAUTPT. 2002;9(2).97-105.
- Yi CH, Kim JM, Hwang TS. Effect of low-intensity ultrasound on bone growth. KAUTPT. 1998;5(3).34-41.
- Brand C, Dencks S, Schmitz G, Muhlmeister M, Stypmann J, Ross R1, Hintelmann H, Schliemann C, Muller-Tidow C, Mesters RM, Berdel WE, Schwoppe C. Low-energy ultrasound treatment improves regional tumor vessel iInfarction by retargeted tissue factor.J Ultrasound Med. 2015l;34(7):1227-36. https://doi.org/10.7863/ultra.34.7.1227
- Leon Chaitow. Muscle energy techniques 3rd ed. Seoul: Koonja. 2008:1-20.
- Philip EG. Principles of Mannual Medicine, 3rd Edition. Seoul:Youngmoon. 2007:105-10.
- Bae JH, Han JT, Bae SS. The effect of pelvic traction and muscle energy technique on static standing balance in hemiplegia patients. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Therapy. 2005;17(4): 537-57.
- Jeon TD, Lee HG, Hong SY, Heo DS, Yoon IJ. The clinical studies for muscle energy techniques on patients with nuchal pain caused by traffic accidents. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2009;19(1):125-34.
- Burns DK, Wells MR. Gross Range of Motion in the Cervical Spine:The Effects of Osteopathic Muscle Energy Techinique in Asymptomatic Subjects. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2006;106(3):137-42.
- Blanco CR, Fernandez C, Xumet JEH, Algaba CP, Rabadan MF, Lillo MC. Changes in active mouth opening following a single treatment of latent myofascial trigger points in the masseter muscle involving post-isometric relaxation or strain/counterstrain. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2006;10:197-205.
- Choi JS, Ahn JM, Kim JY, Lee JH, Park DS, Jeong SH, Kim SJ. The clinical study of muscle energy techniques (MET) in elector spinae muscle on low back pain patients-through meridian electromyography. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2013;23(1):15-23.
- Lee KJ, Heo KH, Park YH, Keum DH. Radiological changes on spondylolisthesis using cox technique and acupuncture therapy treatment: clinial cases. J oriental rehab Med 2007;17(4):229-42.
- Jung MG, Hwang HJ, Park YH, Keum DH. The case report on improved change of lumbosacral radiculopathy using acupuncture therapy and cox technique- in the point of needle electromyogram. J Oriental Rehab Med. 2009;19(4):203-17.
- Cho DI, Park DS, Jeong SH, Kim SJ. The effects of MET and ICT in patients with lumbago by meridian muscle electrography. J Korean Med Rehab. 2014;24(3):121-30.