- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Embedding Acupuncture Treatments for Chronic Low Back Pain Patients
척추세움근 매선침치료가 만성요통환자에 미치는 효과
- Yoo, Duk-Joo (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung-Hee University) ;
- Jung, Jae-Young (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung-Hee University) ;
- Chung, Seok-Hee (Department of Korean Rehabilitation Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung-Hee University)
- Received : 2015.09.16
- Accepted : 2015.10.12
- Published : 2015.10.31
Objectives To investigate clinical effects of needle embedding acupuncture treatments for chronic low back pain patients. Methods 30 patients with chronic low back pain were recruited and randomized into two groups-the embedding acupuncture group or the placebo. At baseline, the age, height, weight, visual analogue scale (VAS), Oswestry disability index (ODI) scores were measured. And surface electromyography (SEMG) data of both erector spinae at L2, L4 level were also measured on both groups and asymmetry index (AI) were calculated. The embedding or placebo acupuncture treatment was performed on the erector spinae according to SEMG values; immediately after the first evaluation and 48 hours after the first visit. After 96 hours of intervention, the VAS, ODI score and SEMG of both erector spinae were measured again. Statistical significance was determined using the Wilcoxon signed ranks test or the Wilcoxon rank sum test. Results The mean VAS, ODI score after treatment was decreased significantly compared with baseline on both groups. And the VAS, ODI score and AI of the embedding acupuncture group was more decreased significantly than the placebo (p<0.05). Conclusions The results suggest that embedding acupuncture for chronic low back pain patients was effective on the VAS pain score, ODI score and AI of the erector spinae.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Surveys about the use of Korean medicine and the herbal medicine consumption. Sejong:HumanCultureArirang. 2014.
- Liu L, Skinner M, McDonough S, Mabire L, Baxter GD. Acupuncture for low back pain: an overview of systematic reviews. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine : eCAM. 2015;2015:1-18.
- Cho YJ, Song YK, Cha YY, Shin BC, Shin IH, Park HJ, Lee HS, Kim KW, Cho JH, Chung WS, Lee JH, Song MY. Acupuncture for chronic low back pain: a multicenter, randomized, patient-assessor blind, sham-controlled clinical trial. Spine. 2013;38(7):549-57. https://doi.org/10.1097/BRS.0b013e318275e601
- Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Medicine Society. Acupuncture and Moxibustion Medicine. Gyeonggi : Jipmoondang. 2012.
- Park YU. The Thread-embedding Therapy. Seoul: Hanglimseowon. 2003.
- Lee CW, Lee SM, Jeon JH, Kim JI, Kim YI. Effects of Needle-Embedding Therapy on Sequelae of Peripheral Facial Palsy : A Case Series Objectives. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2011;28(4): 93-103.
- Song MY, KIM HJ. Review on Clinical Trials of Catgut Embedding for Obesity Treatment. Journal of Society of Korean Medicine for Obesity Research. 2012;12(2):1-7.
- Kwon K. The Analysis on the Present Condition of Thread-embedding Therapy Papers Published in Journal of Korean Medicine. J Korean Med Ophthalmol Otolaryngol Dermatol. 2014;27(4):16-44. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2014.27.4.016
- Lee HG, Lim JG, Jung DJ, Yuk TH, Kim JW. Case Report on 4 Patients with Lumbar Disc Herniation Treated with Concurrent Embedding Therapy under Conventional Korean Medical Treatments. Korean journal of oriental physiology & pathology. 2013;27(1):124-9.
- Kim YJ, Kim MC, Lee CH, Kim JU, Yook TH. The Effect of Needle-embedding Therapy and Pharmacopuncture Therapy on Patients with Urinary Incontinence. Journal of Acupuncture and Meridian Studies. 2011;4(4):220-4 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jams.2011.10.012
- Li L. Acupuncture combined with catgut embedding therapy for treatment of 158 cases of facial paralysis. Zhongguo Zhen Jiu. 2005 Mar;25(3):167-8
- Reger SI, Shah A, Adams TC, Endredi J, Ranganathan V, Yue GH, Sahgal V, Finneran MT. Classification of large array surface myoelectric potentials from subjects with and without low back pain. Journal of electromyography and kinesiology : official journal of the International Society of Electrophysiological Kinesiology. 2006;16(4):392-401. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2005.08.004
- Dekker-van Weering MG, Vollenbroek-Hutten MM, Hermens HJ. A pilot study - the potential value of an activitybased feedback system for treatment of individuals with chronic lower back pain. Disability and rehabilitation. 2015:1-7.
- Stevens VK, Bouche KG, Mahieu NN, Coorevits PL, Vanderstraeten GG, Danneels LA. Trunk muscle activity in healthy subjects during bridging stabilization exercises. BMC musculoskeletal disorders. 2006;7:75. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-7-75
- Choi JS, Ahn JM, KIM CY, Lee JH, Park DS, Jeong SH, Kim SJ. The Clinical Study of Muscle Energy Techniques (MET) in Elector Spinae Muscle on Low Back Pain Patients-Through Meridian Electromyography. J Korean Rehab Med. 2013;23(1):15-23.
- Visser A, McCarroll RS, Oosting J, Naeije M. Masticatory electromyographic activity in healthy young adults and myogenous craniomandibular disorder patients. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 1994;21(1):67-76. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2842.1994.tb01125.x
- Cho DI, Park DS, Jeong SH, Kim SJ. The Effects of MET and ICT in Patients with Lumbago by Meridian Muscle Electrography. J Korean Rehab Med. 2014;24(3):121-30.
- Noh SH, Kim YR, Kim KH, Yang GY, Kim JK, Lee BR. Effects of Catgut-embedding Acupuncture Therapy on Plantar Fasciitis:Case Report. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2013;30(5):227-33.
- Han JM, Yoon JW, Kang NR, Ko WS, Yoon HJ. The Clinical investigation studies in early stage of intractable peripheral facial paralysis using Needle-Embedding Therapy. The Journal of Korean Oriental Medical Ophthalmology & Otolaryngology & Dermatology. 2012;25(3):113-28. https://doi.org/10.6114/jkood.2012.25.3.113
- Baek JH, Chun JH, KIM HS, Lee JY, Kim HO, Park YM. Two cases of facial foreign body granuloma induced by needle-embedding therapy. Korean J Dermatol. 2011;49(1):72-5.
- Yoo DJ, Cho JH, Chung SH. A Review of Studies Comparing of Surface Electromyography Values between the Low-back Pain Group and Healthy Controls. J Korean Rehab Med. 2013;23(4):83-93.
- Lee J, Seo HM, Hwang SH, Lee HJ, Kim YH, Min JH, Yang YJ, Lee SJ, Park JH, Choi JW. Foreign body reaction after gold-string embedding therapy. Korean J Dermatol. 2012;64(1):134.
- Cho JH, Lee JS, Kim SS. A study of the Meridian Muscle Electrography for the Clinical Application. J Korean Rehab Med. 2005;15(4):89-104.
- Jung JY, Lee JH, Nam KB, Kim SS. Meridian-Electromyograph Analysis on Features of Abdominal Muscles in Chronic Low Back Pain Patients. J Korean Rehab Med. 2008;18(4):203-15.
- Leibing E, Leonhardt U, Koster G, Goerlitz A, Rosenfeldt JA, Hilgers R, Ramadori G. Acupuncture treatment of chronic low-back pain - a randomized, blinded, placebocontrolled trial with 9-month follow-up. Pain. 2002;96(1-2):189-96. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-3959(01)00444-4
- Clinical research on the efficacy and safety of thread-embedding acupuncture for treatment of herniated intervertebral disc of the lumbar spine: a protocol for a multicenter, randomized, patient–assessor blinded, controlled, parallel, clinical trial vol.19, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-018-2864-4