- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effectiveness of Abdominal Manipulation Therapy in Functional Dyspepsia Patients
기능성 소화불량증 환자에 대한 복부(腹部) 수기치료의 효과
- Maeng, Tae-Ho (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Lee, Jong-Soo (Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of Korean Medicine, College of Korean Medicine, Kyung Hee University)
- Received : 2015.09.19
- Accepted : 2015.10.12
- Published : 2015.10.31
Objectives Functional dyspepsia is a type of disease characterized by bothersome postprandial fullness, early satiation, epigastric pain and burning without structural gastrointestinal disorders. The aim of this study was to evaluate changes in symptoms, quality of life, HRV (Heart Rate Variability) before and after abdominal manipulation therapy in functional dyspepsia patients. Methods We recruited twenty functional dyspepsia patients from the volunteers who applied for this clinical trial. State of Patients were assessed by NDI-K (Nepean Dyspepsia Index Korean Version), HRV (Heart Rate Variability) before treatment. After 4 times of abdominal manipulation therapy for 2 weeks, state of patients were assessed by the same methods. Results Total symptom score and total quality of life score of NDI-K were significantly improved by the abdominal manipulation therapy. After the treatment, the number of subjects within normal range of LF/HF ratio was significantly increased. Although the median of LF/HF ratio did not significantly changed, interquartile range was reduced. Conclusions Abdominal manipulation therapy possibly can be an effective treatment for functional dyspepsia patients, but further studies are needed to demonstrate the effectiveness of abdominal manipulation therapy for functional dyspepsia patients.
- Gajin Han, Jinsung Kim, Jae-Woo Park, Bongha Ryu. Pattern Identification of 97 Functional Dyspepsia Patients and the Characteristics of Each Pattern Type. J Korean Med. 2011;32(2):42-62.
- Lee Jae-Jin, Son mi-won, Hong Kwon-eui. Effect of herb drug medicine Treatment for Functional Dyspepsia: Controlled Trial. Korean J Pharmacopuncture institute. 2009;12(2):51-65.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. More than half of Patients with Heartburn and Dyspepsia is Composed of Middle-aged and Elderly Adults over Fifty Years Old. Press release. 2014 December 14. Available from:URL:http://www.hira.or.kr/main.do.
- Jong-Yoon Kim, Jin-Yong Lee, Sang-Hyub Yoon. Effect of Naesowhajung-tang on Electrogastrography in children with functional dyspepsia. J Korean Oriental Pediatrics. 2002;16(2):199-213.
- Ga-jin Han, Jin-sung Kim, Bong-ha Ryu. Clinical Observation of Changes in Subjective Evaluation Index and Electrogastrography Parameters of Patients with Functional Dyspepsia before and after Oriental Medical Interventions. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2011;32(4):584-98.
- Jung-Han Oh, Bong-Suk Kim, Hee-Yong Lim, Dong-Woo Kim, Bin-Hye Choi, Jin-Il Hur, Dae-Joon Kim, Chong-Kwan Cho, Joon-Seok Byun. Three Cases Report of Functional Dyspepsia Patients Who were Administered by LJTG(Ljintang-Gamibang(二陳湯 加味方)). Korean J Orient Int Med. 2005;26(3):641-51.
- Korean Society of Chuna manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. Chuna manual Medicine. Seoul:Korean Society of Chuna manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2011:490.
- Lee SY, Choi SC, Cho YK, Choi MG. Validation of the Nepean Dyspepsia Index- korean version. Kor J Neurogastroenterol Mot. 2003;9(suppl):48.
- Yu Kyung Cho, Myung_Gyu Choi, Se Hee Kim, In Seok Lee, Sang Woo Kim, In-Sik Chung, Sang Yeol Lee, Suck Chei Choi and Sang Young Seol. The Effect of Mosapride on Quality of Life in Functional Dyspepsia. The Korean Society of Gastroenterology. 2004;43:160-7.
- Tack J, Talley NJ, Camilleri M, Holtmann G, Hu P, Malagelada JR. Functional gastroduodenal disorders. Gastroenterology 2006;130(5):1466-79. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2005.11.059
- Byeong-cheol Sin, Jun-sik Sin, Jong-soo Lee, Hyeong-ho Lim. Orthopedic Chuna manual Medicine. Korean Society of Chuna manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2006;157-9.
- Uysal N1, Eser I, Akpinar H. The effect of abdominal massage on gastric residual volume: a randomized controlled trial. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2012 Mar-Apr;35(2):117-23. https://doi.org/10.1097/SGA.0b013e31824c235a
- Jeong-Ryong Kim. Digestive diseases. second edition. Seoul : iljogak. 2005:25-6.
- Gyeong-bong Go. Psycosociological aspects of functional dyspepsia. Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility. 2000;6:258-663.
- Wiles MR. Observations on the effects of upper cervical manipulations on the electrogastrogram: a preliminary report. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1980;3(4):226-9.
- Sa Hyun Park, Myung Rae Cho. Documentary comparative study on the chief virtues of the Back-Su(兪) points and the Front-Mo(募) points. Korean Journal of Acupuncture. 2001;18(1):117-42.
- Sang Wook Kim, Tae Hyeon Kim, Suck Chei Choi, and Yong-Ho Nah. Clinical Correlation between Scintigraphic Measurement of Gastric Emptying and Electrogastrography in Dysmotility Like Functional Dyspepsia. The Korean Society of Gastroenterology. 2001;37:240-6.
- Ho-young Choi. Clinical Myology. Seoul:Daesung uihaksa. 1999:366-71.
- Talley NJ, Haque M, Wyeth JW, et al. Development of a new dyspepsia impact scale: the Nepean Dyspepsia Index. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 1999;13:225-35. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.1999.00445.x
- Tougas G. The autonomic nervous system in functional bowel disorders. Gut. 2000;47(14):78-80.
- Akselrod S, Gordon D, Uble FA, Shannon DC, Barger AC, Cohen RJ. Power spectral analysis of heart rate fluctuation : a quantitative Probe of beat-to-beat cardiovascular control. Science. 1981 : 213, 221, 222.
- So-yeon Kim, Sang-hyub Yoon. Correlation between HRV and Bowel Sound Parameters in the Evaluation of Gastrointestinal Parasympathetic Nerve Activity from Patients with Functional Dyspepsia. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2009;30(1):173-180.
- Jae-woo Park, Seung-woo Yoon. A Clinical Study on the Relationship between Functional Dyspepsia (FD) and Biosignals from Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and Yangdorak Diagnosis. J Korean Oriental Med. 2007;28(2):80-92.
- Sang-heon Kim, Hyo-jin Kim, Soo-jung Lee, Cheol-kyung Sin, Sang-hee Lee, Won-il Kim. The Relationship between Functional Dyspepsia and Dyspepsia caused by Organic Disease in Heart Rate Variability. Korean J Orient Int Med. 2008;29(2):443-55.
- So-yeon Kim, Chang-woo Han, Seong-ha Park, Jeongnam Gwon, In Lee, Jin-woo Hong, Joon-yong Choi. Correlation Study between Electrogastrography and Heart Rate Variability in Dyspeptic Patients. Korean Journal of Oriental Physiology and Pathology. 2012;26(4):532-8.
- Hallerback BI, Bommelaer G, Bredberg E, Campbell M, Hellblom M, Lauritsen K, Wienbeck M, Holmgren L. Dose Finding study of mosapride in functional dyspepsia: a placebo-controlled, randomized study. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2002;16:959-67. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2036.2002.01236.x