- Volume 25 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Two Cases Report of Chronic Neck Pain Patients with Kyphotic Cervical Curvature Measured by Radiography
방사선 사진상 경추 후만을 보인 만성 경항통 환자의 만곡 이상 치험 2례
- Received : 2015.09.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.12
- Published : 2015.10.31
We researched two patients complaining about chronic neck pain with kyphotic cervical curvature. We assumed that the patients' symptom was caused by weakened deep neck flexor and activated superficial muscles around neck. So, acupuncture therapy, SCENAR therapy and self exercise with wooden neck pillow were used to treat the patients. We measured their pain by numerical rating scale (NRS) and neck disability index (NDI) before and after treatment. And cervical curvature was evaluated by Cobb method (C1-C7) and Ishihara Index. As a result, NRS and NDI significantly reduced and cervical curvature was also improved. Therefore, we conclude that acupuncture therapy with SCENAR therapy and self exercise using wooden neck pillow is an effective treatment to reduce chronic neck pain with kyphotic cervical curvature. But there is a limit on this study due to insufficient number of cases and absence of control group. Further studies will be needed.
Kyphotic cervical curvature;Wooden neck pillow;Self exercise;SCENAR therapy
- Kim KS. Clinical Guideline for Oriental Medicine. Seoul: Daesungbook. 1998:167.
- National Health Insurance Service. Health Insurance Statistics Annual Report. Disease Statistis. 2004-2009. Available from : http://www.nhis.or.kr/menu/boardRetriveMenuSet.xx?menuId=F3321
- Jung DY, O.M.D., Kim SS, O.M.D., Chung SH, O.M.D., Lee JS, O.M.D. The Repationship of Cervical Spine Curvature and Neck pain. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2011;21(2):239-52.
- Lee SD. Increased cervical lordosis after deep acupuncture in patients with neck pain : nonrandomized clinical control trial. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2004;21(6):195-207.
- Park KJ, O.M.D., Kim BJ, O.M.D., Lee SJ, O.M.D., Kang JH, O.M.D., Park MK, O.M.D. The Case Report of Chuna Treatment on Neck pain Patients with Kyphotic Cervical Curvature. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2012;7(1):95-101.
- Park JW, O.M.D., Hwang JP, O.M.D., Kim MK, O.M.D., Heo DS, O.M.D., Oh MS, O.M.D. The Case Report of Chuna Treatment using Drop Table on Neck Pain Patients with Kyphotic Cervical Curvature. The Journal of Korea CHUNA Manual Medicine for Spine & Nerves. 2006;1(2):111-24.
- Lee JH, O.M.D., Kim MW, O.M.D., Keum DH, O.M.D., Two Cases Report on the Patients with Ear Fullness by Acupuncture Therapy and SCENAR Therapy on Sternocleidomastoid Muscle. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2014:24(1):125-31
- Shim SY, Park HJ, Lee JM, Lee HS. An Overview of Pain Measurements. The Korean Journal of Meridian & Acupoint. 2007;24(2):77-97.
- Song KJ, Choi BW, Kim SJ, Yoon SJ. Crosscultural adaptation and validation of the Korean version of the neck disability index. J Korean Orthop Assoc. 2009 ; 44(3) : 350-9. https://doi.org/10.4055/jkoa.2009.44.3.350
- Jung DY, O.M.D., Kim SS, O.M.D., Chung SH, O.M.D., Lee JS, O.M.D. The Relationship of Cervical Spine Curvature and Neck Pain. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2011;21(2):239-52.
- Kim DM, Ha SY, Cho SY, Kim YS, Nam SS. The Study about the Correlation between Cervical Hypolordosis and Neck Pain. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2008;25(5):69-76.
- Lee HG, O.M.D., Jeon TD, O.M.D., Hong SY, O.M.D., The Study of Comparison about Pain and Fatigue according to Cervical Spine Curvature of Patient with Neck Pain. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2010;20(1):133-9.
- Yi WI, Koh PS, Joh BJ, Kwon SA, Lee JW, Song JY, Seo BK, Woo HS, Baek YH, Park DS. Nam SS. Clinical Study on Cervical Pain with Focus on Sagittal Spinal Balance and Spinal Curvature. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2010;27(2):97-104
- Song EM, O.M.D., Kim EJ, O.M.D., Cho YJ, O.M.D., Cho JH, O.M.D., Chung SH, O.M.D., Song MY, O.M.D. The Correlation among Cervical Curvature, Neck Pain and Headache in Patients with Chronic Neck Pain. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2011;21(4):97-109
- Park SW, Jang YW, Kim SS, Jang GE. The Change of Cervical Spine Curvature by Three Measurement Methods in Cervical Pain Patients. Annals of Rehabilitation Medicine. 2000;24(4):756-64.
- Kim SJ, Jang JY, Kim NS, Kim YS, Nam SS. A Randomized Clinical Trial of Local Acupoints Compared with Distal Acupoints in Chronic Neck Pain Patients. The Journal of Korean Acupuncture & Moxibustion Society. 2011;28(5):57-64.
- Lee GC, Lee DY. The effects of deep neck flexor exercise on pain and neck disability index of the patients with chronic neck pain. The Journal of Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society. 2010;11(11):4331-7. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2010.11.11.4331
- Jung YW, P.T., M.S. Effects of McKenzie Exercis on the Functional Recovery and Forward Head Posture of Chronic Neck Pain Patients. The Journal of Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2006;1(1):93-108.
- Oh WK, O.M.D., Lee EG, O.M.D., Shin BC, O.M.D. Clinical Effect of Bong Chuna Manual Therapy and Acupuncture Treatment for Improving Cervical Curvature of Turtle Neck Syndrome and Measurement Method of Radiography. The Journal of Korean Medicine Rehabilitation. 2009;19(1):113-24.