- Volume 11 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Relationship between Maternal Post-natal Depression and Children's Communication Competence
어머니의 산후 우울감과 만 2세 영아의 의사소통능력 간의 관계
- Received : 2014.08.14
- Accepted : 2015.10.17
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of maternal post-natal depression on children's communication competence, maternal self-efficacy and parenting style. The data on 1,438 pairs of children and their mothers were provided by The Korean Children Panel Study (KCPS). Mothers were assessed by K6(Kessler et al., 2002), The Pearlin Self Efficacy Scale(Pearlin et al., 1981), and The Parental Style Questionnaire(Bornstein, et al., 1996). Children's communication competence was assessed by K-ASQ. The collected data were analyzed with t-test and path analysis. The major results of this study were as follows : (1) Post-natal maternal depression was not directly associated with the children's communication competence. (2) Post-natal maternal depression indirectly influenced the children's communication competence via maternal self-efficacy and the parenting style. The results of this study suggest that post-natal depression within 1 year will not have an effect on the children's communication competence directly, but will indirectly influence it through maternal self-efficacy and the parenting style when the children are 2 years old.
post-natal depression;children's communication competence;maternal self-efficacy;parenting style
- Cogill, S. R., Caplan, H. L., Alexandra, H., Robson, K. M., & Kumar, R. (1986). Impact of postnatal depression on cognitive development in young children. British Medical Journal, 292(6529), 1165-1167. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.292.6529.1165
- Sutter-Dallay, A., Murray, L., Dequae-Merchadou, L., Glatigny-Dallay, E., Bourgeois, M., & Verdoux, H. (2011). A prospective longitudinal study of the impact of early postnatal vs. chronic maternal depressive symptoms on child development. European Psychiatry, 26(8), 484-489.
- Tamis-LeMonda, C. S., Bornstein, M. H., & Baumwell, L. (2001). Maternal responsiveness and children's achievement of language milestones. Child Development, 72(3), 748-767. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8624.00313
- Teti, D. M., & Gelfand, D. M. (1991). Behavioral competence among mothers of infants in the first year: The mediational role of maternal self-efficacy. Child Development, 62(5), 918-929. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131143
- Unger, D. G., & Wandersman, L. P. (1985). Social support and adolescent mothers: Action research contributions to theory and application. Journal of Social Issues, 41(1), 29-45.
- Vondra, J., & Belsky, J. (1993). Developmental origins of parenting: Personality and relationship factors. In T. Luster & L. Okagaki (Eds.), Parenting: An ecological perspective (pp. 1-33). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Zajicek-Farber, M. L. (2010). The contribution of parenting and postnatal depression on emergent language of children in low-income families. Journal of Child Family Study,19(3), 257-269. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-009-9293-7
- Zlochower, A. J., & Cohn, J. F. (1996). Vocal timing in face-to-face interaction of clinically depressed and nondepressed mothers and their 4-month-old infants. Infant Behavior and Development, 19(3), 371-374.
- Bandura, A. (1982). Self-efficacy: In human agency. American Psychologist, 37(2), 122-147. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.37.2.122
- Bandura, A. (1990). Perceived self-efficacy in the exercise of control over AIDS infection, Evaluation & Program Planning, 13(1), 9-17 https://doi.org/10.1016/0149-7189(90)90004-G
- Barnett, M. A., Gustafsson, H., Deng, M., Mills-Koonce, W. R., & Cox, M. (2012). Bidirectional associations among sensitive parenting, language development, and social competence. Infant and Child Development, 21(4), 374-393. https://doi.org/10.1002/icd.1750
- Baumwell, L., Tamis-LeMonda M, H., & Catherine, S. (1997). Maternal verbal sensitivity and child language comprehension. Infant Behavior and Development, 20(2), 247-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-6383(97)90026-6
- Bigatti, S. M., Cronan, T. A., & Anaya, A. (2001). The effects of maternal depression on the efficacy of a literacy intervention program. Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 32(2), 147-162. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1012250824091
- Bornstein, M. H., Tamis-LeMonda, C. S., Hahn, C. S., & Haynes, O. M. (2008). Maternal responsiveness to young children at three ages: Longitudinal analysis of a multidimensional, modular and specific parenting construct. Developmental Psychology, 44(3), 867-874. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.117
- Bornstein, M. H., Tamis-LeMonda, C. S., Pascual, L., Haynes, M., O., Painter, K. M., Galperin, C. Z., & Pecheux, M. G. (1996). Ideas about parenting in Argentina, France, and the United States, International Journal of Behavioral Development, 19(2), 347-367. https://doi.org/10.1177/016502549601900207
- Brennan, P. A., Hammen, C., Andersen, M. J., Bor, W., Najman, J. M., & Williams, G. M. (2000). Chronicity, severity and timing of maternal depressive symptoms: relationship with child outcomes at age 5. Developmental Psychology, 36(6), 759-766. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1618.104.22.1689
- 조현주 (2005). 산후 우울증에 대한 종단적 연구. 경기도: 한국학술정보.
- 조희원, 우주영(2013). 산후 우울 관련 변인들 간의 관계 구조 모형. 한국심리학회지: 상담 및 심리치료, 25(3), 549-573.
- Jones, T., & Prinz, R. (2005). Potential roles of parental self-efficacy in parent and child adjustment: A review. Clinical Psychology Review, 25(3), 341-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cpr.2004.12.004
- Kessler, R. C., Andrew, G., Cople, L. J., Hiripi, E., Mroczek, D. K., Nprmand, S.-L. T., Walters, E. E., & Zaslavsky, A. M. (2002). Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in nonspecific psychological distress. Psychological Medicine, 32(6), 959-976. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702006074
- Kurstjens, S., & Wolke, D. (2001). Effects of maternal depression on cognitive development of children over the first 7 years of life. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 42(5), 623-636. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00758
- 박화윤, 마지순 (2013). 어머니의 영아에 대한 애착 및 양육효능감이 영아-어머니의 상호작용에 미치는 영향. 한국산학기술학회논문지, 14(6), 2727-2734.
- 배정이 (2002). 산후 우울의 이론적 모형 구축. 정신간호학회지, 11(4), 572-587.
- 신나리, 안재진, 이정림, 송신영, 김영원 (2008). 한국아동패널 2008. 서울: 육아정책연구소.
- 오정순 (2012). 영아발달에 영향을 미치는 요인 연구 -어머니의 심리적 특성과 양육 관련 특성을 중심으로-. 생애학회지, 2(2), 51-65.
- 오정윤, 심숙영 (2013). 유아의 사회정서 행동문제와 어머니 관련변인 구조모형분석. 아동과 권리, 17(1), 79-108.
- 육아정책연구소 (2009). 한국아동패널 2009. 서울: 육아정책연구소.
- 육아정책연구소 (2010). 한국아동패널 3차년도 도구프로파일. 서울: 육아정책연구소.
- 김명순 (2010). 영아의 의사소통. 연세대학교 어린이생활지도연구원 연구.훈련센터(편), 교사교육 워크샵 자료집, 영아에 대한 깊은 이해의 첫 걸음: 영아를 위한 의사소통(pp.1-13). 서울: 연세대학교 어린이생활지도연구원 연구.훈련센터.
- 김현 (2010). 영아 기질, 어머니 양육행동, 교사 상호작용과 영아 언어능력의 관계, 한국보육지원학회지, 6(1), 67-93.
- 조숙환, 주금정 (2010). 산전-산후 우울 성향 어머니의 6개월 영아와의 언어적 상호작용 특성과 영아의 언어발달. 한국심리학회 연차학술발표대회 논문집, 308-309.
- Cornish, A. M., McMahon, C. A., Ungerer, J. A., Barnett, B., Kowalenko, N., & Tennant, C. (2005). Postnatal depression and infant cognitive and motor development in the second postnatal year: The impact of depression chronicity and infant gender. Infant Behavior and Development, 28(4), 407- 417. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2005.03.004
- Feltz, D. L., & Riessinger, C. A. (1990). Effects of in vivo emotional imagery and performance feedback. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 12, 132-143. https://doi.org/10.1123/jsep.12.2.132
- Fenson, L., Dale, P. S., Reznick, J. S., Bates, L., Thal, D. J., & Pethick, S. J. (1994). Variability in early communicative development. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 59(5), 1-185.
- Field, T. (1995). Infants of depressed mothers. Infant Behavior and Development, 18(1), 1-13.
- Field, T. (2010). Postpartum depression effects on early interactions, parenting, and safety practices: A review. Infant Behavior and Development, 33(1), 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2009.10.005
- Giallo, R., Treyvaud, K., Cooklin, A., & Wade, C. (2013). Mothers' and fathers' involvement in home activities with their children: Psychosocial factors and the role of parental self-efficacy. Early Child Development and Care, 183(3-4), 343-359. https://doi.org/10.1080/03004430.2012.711587
- Hay, D. F., Pawlby, S., Sharp, D., Asten, P., Mills, A., & Kumar, R. (2001). Intellectual problems shown by 11-year-old children whose mothers had postal depression. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 42(7), 871-889. https://doi.org/10.1111/1469-7610.00784
- Henderson, E. N., & Jennings, K. D. (2003). Maternal depression and the ability to facilitate joint attention with 18-month-olds. Infancy, 4(1), 27-46. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327078IN0401_2
- Johnston, C., & Mash, E. J. (1989). A measure of parenting satisfaction and efficacy. Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 18(2), 167-175. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp1802_8
- Mainieri, T. (2006). The panel study of income dynamics: Child development(user guide for CDS-II). Retrieved February 11, 2007 from http://psidonline.isr.umich.edu/CDS/cdsii_userGd.pdf
- Mehta, A., & Sheth, S. (2006). Postpartum depression: How to recognize and treat this common condition. Medscape Psychiatry and Mental Health, 11(1), 1-8.
- Nicely, P., Tamis-LeMonda, C. S., & Bornstein, M. H. (1999). Mothers' attuned responses to infant affect expressivity promote earlier achievement of language milestones. Infant Behavior and Development, 22(4), 557-568. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-6383(00)00023-0
- NICHD Early Child Care Research Network. (1999). Chronicity of maternal depressive symptoms, maternal sensitivity, and child functioning at 36 months. Developmental Psychology, 35(5), 1297-1310. https://doi.org/10.1037/0012-1622.214.171.1247
- O'Hara, M. W., & Swain A. M. (1996). Rates and risk of postpartum depression-a meta-analysis. International Review of Psychiatry, 8(1), 37-54. https://doi.org/10.3109/09540269609037816
- Lengua, L. J., Honorado, E., & Bush, N. R. (2007). Contextual risk and parenting as predictors of effortful control and social competence in preschool children. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 28(1), 40-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appdev.2006.10.001
- Lovejoy, M. C., Graczyk, P. A., O'Hare, E., & Neuman. G. (2000). Maternal depression and parenting behavior : A meta-analytic review. Clinical Psychology Review, 20(5), 561-592 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-7358(98)00100-7
- Paulson, J. F., Keefe, H. A., & Leiferman, J. A. (2009). Early parental depression and child language development. Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 50(3). 254-262.
- Pearlin, L. I., Lieberman, M. A., Menaghan, E. G., & Mullan, J. T. (1981). The stress process. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 22(4), 337-356. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136676
- Pungello, E. P., Iruka, I. U., Dotterer, A. M., Mills-Koonce, W. R., & Reznick, J. S. (2009). The effects of socioeconomic status, race, and parenting on language development in early childhood. Developmental Psychology, 45(2), 544-557 https://doi.org/10.1037/a0013917
- Quevdedo, L., SilverA., R. A., Godoy, R., K., Matos, M. B., Tavares, Pinheiro, K. A., & Pinheiro R. T. (2011). The impact of maternal post-partum depression on the language development of children at 12 months. Child Care, Health and Development, 38(3), 420-424.
- Righetti-Veltema, M., Bousquet, A., & Manzano, J. (2003). Impact of postpartum depressive symptoms on mother and her 18-month-old infant. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 12(2), 75-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00787-003-0311-9
- Rollins, P. R. (2003). Caregivers' contingent comments to 9-month-old infants: Relationships with later language. Applied Psycholinguistics, 24(2), 221-234.
- Sevigny, P. R., & Loutzenhiser, L. (2009). Predictors of parenting self-efficacy in mothers and fathers of toddlers. Child: care, Health and development. 36(2), 179-189.
- Stein, A., Malmberg, L. E., Sylva, K., Barnes, J., Leach, P., & FCCC team. (2008). The influence of maternal depression, caregiving, and socioeconomic status in the post-natal year on children's language development. Child Care Health Development, 34(5), 603-612 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2214.2008.00837.x
- Coleman, P. K., & Karraker, K. H. (1997). Self-efficacy and parenting quality: Findings and future applications. Developmental Review, 18(1), 47-85.
- Coleman, P. K., & Karraker, K. H. (2003). Maternal self-efficacy beliefs, competence in parenting, and toddlers' behavior and developmental status. Infant Mental Health Journal, 24(2), 126-148. https://doi.org/10.1002/imhj.10048
- Cooper, P. J., & Murray, L. (1998). Postnatal depression. British Medical Journal, 316(7148), 1884-1886. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.316.7148.1884