- Volume 45 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effect of Adolescents' Abuse Experience on Suicidal Ideation: Focused on Moderated Mediation Effect of Self-esteem on Depression and Anxiety
청소년의 학대경험이 자살생각에 미치는 영향: 자아존중감에 의해 조절된 우울 및 불안의 매개효과 분석
- Kim, Ji Young (Department of Nursing, Changwon Moonsung University) ;
- Lee, Kyunghee (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2014.10.06
- Accepted : 2015.07.07
- Published : 2015.10.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the moderating mediation effect of self-esteem on the relations among adolescents' abuse experiences, depression and anxiety, and suicidal ideation. Methods: The participants were selected using secondary data from a population in the 2012 Korea Welfare Panel Survey (KOWEPS). Data were analyzed using SPSS 15.0 and SPSS Macro, and bootstrapping and hierarchical regression analysis were performed to analyze multilevel models. Results: First, analysis of the mediating effect of the adolescents' abuse showed that there was significant mediating influence between suicidal ideation and depression and anxiety. Second, hierarchical regression analysis showed that self-esteem had significant mediation effect on depression and anxiety in adolescents' suicidal ideation. Third, SPSS Macro showed that self-esteem also significantly moderated the mediating effect of adolescents' abuse experiences on suicidal ideation through depression and anxiety. Conclusion: The study results suggest that in future research on adolescent's abuse experience, the risk of suicide in depression and anxiety scores should be selected through evaluation of each individual's self-esteem scale. Coping strategies with immediate early intervention should be suggested.
- Lee JH. Current conditions and development plan of child abuse prevention efforts in Korea. Korean Journal of Clinical Social Work. 2007;4(1):213-235.
- Kang MC, Cho HJ, Lee JS. A latent profile analysis of depression, anxiety, shame, and suicidal ideation. The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy. 2013;25(4):873-896.
- Afifi TO, Enns MW, Cox BJ, Asmundson-Gordon JG, Stein MB, Sareen J. Population attributable fractions of psychiatric disorders and suicide ideation and attempts associated with adverse childhood experiences. American Journal of Public Health. 2008;98(5):946-952. http://dx.doi.org/10.2105/ajph.2007.120253 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.120253
- Joiner JrTE, Sachs-Ericsson NJ, Wingate LR, Brown JS, Anestis MD, Selby EA. Childhood physical and sexual abuse and lifetime number of suicide attempts: A persistent and theoretically important relationship. Behaviour Research and Therapy. 2007;45(3):539-547. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2006.04.007 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2006.04.007
- Kim JR, Kim HS. The influence of family violence and school violence on suicidal impulses in adolescents. Health and Social Welfare Review. 2014;34(2):310-333. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2014.34.2.310
- Kim JY, Chung YK, Lee JS. The moderating effect of social supportive relationship in the contribution of adolescents' experience of domestic child abuse to suicidal ideation. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research. 200921:119-144.
- Prinstein MJ, Nock MK, Simon V, Aikins JW, Cheah-Charissa SL, Spirito A. Longitudinal trajectories and predictors of adolescent suicidal ideation and attempts following inpatient hospitalization. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2008;76(1):92-103. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006x.76.1.92 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.76.1.92
- Hwang ES, Seong YH. The mediating effects of self-conscious affect and the impact of childhood abuses on depression and anxiety. Korean Journal of Play Therapy. 2006;9(2):73-89.
- Kim SJ, Chung IJ. A longitudinal study of persistent and recency effects of child maltreatment on depression anxiety and aggression. Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare. 2013;43:1-28.
- Rodriguez CM. Parental discipline and abuse potential affects on child depression, anxiety, and attributions. Journal of Marriage and Family. 2003;65(4):809-817. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2003.00809.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2003.00809.x
- Moon DK, Kim YH. A meta-regression analysis on related triggering variables of adolescents' suicidal ideation. Korean Journal of Counseling. 2011;12(3):945-964. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.12.3.201106.945
- Barr SC, Hanson R, Begle AM, Kilpatrick DG, Saunders B, Resnick H, et al. Examining the moderating role of family cohesion on the relationship between witnessed community violence and delinquency in a national sample of adolescents. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. 2012;27(2):239-262. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0886260511416477 https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260511416477
- Koo CS, Kim DH. The effect of adolescent' peer victimization experience on suicide ideation: Moderating effect of self-esteem. Korean Journal of Youth Studies. 2013;20(8):225-256.
- Lee KH, Kim JY. Moderating effects of self-esteem on the relationship between traumatic experiences and suicidal thought in adolescence. Tourism Research. 2013;38(2):79-101.
- Lee SH, Chun JS. The influence of stress on suicidal ideation among male and female adolescents: Focusing on the moderating effects of self-esteem. Ewha Journal of Social Sciences. 2012;28:173-202. https://doi.org/10.16935/ejss.2012.28..006
- Lieberman Z, Solomon Z, Ginzburg K. Suicidal ideation among young adults: Effects of perceived social support, self-esteem, and adjustment. Journal of Loss and Trauma. 2005;10(2):163-181. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15325020590908867 https://doi.org/10.1080/15325020590908867
- Park BK. An exploratory study of eco-system factors on adolescents' suicidal ideation [dissertation]. Cheongju: Chungbuk National University; 2006.
- Preacher KJ, Rucker DD, Hayes AF. Addressing moderated mediation hypotheses: Theory, methods, and prescriptions. Multivariate Behavioral Research. 2007;42(1):185-227. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00273170701341316 https://doi.org/10.1080/00273170701341316
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates; 1988.
- Straus MA, Hamby SL, Finkelhor D, Moore DW, Runyan D. Identification of child maltreatment with the parent-child conflict tactics scales: Development and psychometric data for a national sample of American parents. Child Abuse and Neglect. 1998;22(4):249-270. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(97)00174-9 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(97)00174-9
- Oh KJ, Lee HR, Hong KE, Ha EH. Manual for K-CBCL: Korean child behavior checklist. Seoul: Chung-Ang Aptitiude Publisher; 2001.
- Rosenberg M. Conceiving the self. New York, NY: Basic Books; 1979.
- Park HS. The school resilience of Korean adolescents in poverty [dissertation]. Seoul: Seoul National University; 1998.
- Reynolds WM. Suicidal ideation questionnaire: Professional manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources; 1988.
- Shin MS. An empirical study of the mechanism of suicide: Validation of the scale for escape from the self [dissertation]. Seoul: Yonsei University; 1992.
- Baron RM, Kenny DA. The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 1986;51(6):1173-1182. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2063
- Preacher KJ, Hayes AF. SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers. 2004;36(4):717-731. http://dx.doi.org/10.3758/BF03206553 https://doi.org/10.3758/BF03206553
- Preacher KJ, Curran PJ, Bauer DJ. Computational tools for probing interactions in multiple linear regression, multilevel modeling, and latent curve analysis. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics. 2006;31(4):437-448. http://dx.doi.org/10.3102/10769986031004437 https://doi.org/10.3102/10769986031004437
- Aiken LS, West SG. Multiple regression: Testing and interpreting interactions. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications; 1991.
- Ahn DH. Child neglect: Revisited. Journal of Korean Council for Children's Rights. 2000;4(1):7-26.