- Volume 52 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on Linux I/O stack for the Lifetime of SSD Perspective
SSD 수명 관점에서 리눅스 I/O 스택에 대한 실험적 분석
- Received : 2015.06.09
- Accepted : 2015.09.03
- Published : 2015.09.25
Although NAND flash-based SSD (Solid-State Drive) provides superior performance in comparison to HDD (Hard Disk Drive), it has a major drawback in write endurance. As a result, the lifetime of SSD is determined by the workload and thus it becomes a big challenge in current technology trend of such as the shifting from SLC (Single Level Cell) to MLC (Multi Level cell) and even TLC (Triple Level Cell). Most previous studies have dealt with wear-leveling or improving SSD lifetime regarding hardware architecture. In this paper, we propose the optimal configuration of host I/O stack focusing on file system, I/O scheduler, and link power management using JEDEC enterprise workloads in terms of WAF (Write Amplification Factor) which represents the efficiency perspective of SSD life time especially for host write processing into flash memory. Experimental analysis shows that the optimum configuration of I/O stack for the perspective of SSD lifetime is MinPower-Dead-XFS which prolongs the lifetime of SSD approximately 2.6 times in comparison with MaxPower-Cfq-Ext4, the best performance combination. Though the performance was reduced by 13%, this contributions demonstrates a considerable aspect of SSD lifetime in relation to I/O stack optimization.
Supported by : 정보통신기술진흥센터
- M. Goldman, K. Pangal, G. Naso, and A. Goda, "25nm 64Gb 130mm2 3bpc NAND Flash Memory," in Proceedings of the International Memory Workshop, pp. 1-4, May 2011.
- Y. J. Woo and J. S. Kim, "Diversifying Wear Index for MLC NAND Flash Memory to Extend the Lifetime of SSDs," in Proceedings of the International Conference on Embedded Software, pp. 1-10, October 2013.
- S. W. Lee, D. J. Park, T. S. Chung, D. H. Lee, S. W. Park, and H. J. Song, "A Log Buffer-based Flash Translation Layer Using Fully Associative Sector Translation," ACM Transactions on Embedded Computing Systems, vol. 6, no. 3, July 2007.
- F. Chen, T. Luo, and X. D. Zhang, "CAFTL: A Content-aware Flash Translation Layer Enhancing the Lifespan of Flash Memory Based Solid State Drives," In Proceedings of the 9th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, p. 6, February 2011.
- Y. J. Park and J. S. Kim, "Compression Support for Flash Translation Layer," in Proceedings of the International Workshop on Software Support for Portable Storage, pp. 19-24, August 2010.
- G. Soundararajan, V. Prabhakaran, M. Balakrishnan, and T. Wobber, "Extending SSD Lifetimes with Disk-Based Write Caches," In Proceedings of the 8th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, p. 8, February 2010.
- W. Shin, Q. C. Chen, M. W. Oh, H. S. Eom, and H. Y. Yeom, "OS IO Path Optimizations for Flash Solid-state Drives", In Proceedings of USENIX Annual Technical Conference, pp. 483-488, June 2014.
- K. Zhou, P. Huang, C. H. Li, and H. Wang, "An Empirical Study on the Interplay Between Filesystems and SSD," in Proceedings of IEEE 7th International Conference on Networking, Architecture and Storage, pp. 124-133, June 2012.
- H. Sun, X. Qin, and C. S. Xie, "Exploring Optimal Combination of a File System and an I/O Scheduler for Underlying Solid State Disks," Journal of Zhejiang University Science C, vol. 15, issue. 8. pp. 607-621, August, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.C1300314
- P. Sehgal, V. Tarasov, and E. Zadok, "Evaluating Performance and Energy in File System Server Workload," In Proceedings of 8th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies, pp. 19-19, February 2010.
- H. Cook, J. Ellithorpe, L. Keys, and A. Waterman "IotaFS: Exploring File System Optimizations for SSDs," University of California at Berkeley, 2008.
- Technical Committee T13 AT Attachment, http://www.t13.org.
- Active-State Power Management, http://access.redhat.com.
- A. Foong, B. Veal, and F. Hady. "Towards SSD-Ready Enterprise Platforms," In Proceedings of 36th the International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, September 2010.
- Vasudevan, Venkatesh, Hanmant Belgal, and Neal Mielke. "Verification and Management of Endurance in NAND SSDs." Flash Memory Summit, August, 2012.