- Volume 25 Issue 5
Scaled model tests were performed to investigate the influence of pillar width, rock strength and isotropy/anisotropy on the stability of twin tunnels. Test models had respectively different pillar widths, uniaxial compressive strengths of modelling materials and model types, where both the deformation behaviors around tunnels and the biaxial pressure data at a time of pillar cracking were analysed. The cracking pressures of the higher strength models were higher than the lower strength models, whereas the percentage of cracking pressure to uniaxial compressive strength of modelling materials showed an opposite tendency. The cracking pressures of the shallower pillar width models were lower than the thicker models, moreover the percentage of that showed a same tendency. It has been found that the pillar width was one of the main factors influencing on the stability of twin tunnels. Model types such as isotropy/anisotropy also influenced on the stability of twin tunnels. The anisotropic models showed lower values of both cracking pressures and the percentage of that than the isotropic models, where the pillar cracks of anisotropic models were generated with regard to the pre-existing joint planes.
Scaled model test;Twin tunnel;Stability;Pillar width;Cracking pressure
- Ahn, H.H., J.I., Choi, S.H., Shim and S.W., Lee, 2008, Behavior of closely-spaced tunnel according to separation distance using scaled model tests, J. of the Korean Geotechnical Society. 24.7, 5-16.
- Baek S.C., B.S., Jang, T.G., Lee, S.M, Lee and J.S., Hwang, 2009, A study on the stability estimation procedure for reinforced pillar of twin tunnel, J. of the Korean Geoenvironmental Society, 10.7, 81-91.
- Design guideline for construction works of national highway, 2013, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Korea, 395.
- Goodman, R.E., H.E Heuze and G.J. Bureau, 1972, On modelling techniques for the study of tunnels in jointed rock, Fourteenth Symposium on Rock Mechanics, 441-479.
- Hobbs, D.W., 1966, Scale model study of strata movement around mine roadways. Appratus, technique and some preliminary results, Int. J. of Rock Mech. Min. Sci., 3., 101-127. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(66)90003-9
- Hoek, E. and E.T., Brown, 1980, Underground excavation in rock, Institution of mining and metallurgy, London.
- Kim, J.W., 2011, A case study on the stability analysis of twin tunnels using scaled model tests, J. of Industrial Science Research, Cheongju Univ., 28.2, 45-51.
- Kim, J.W., 2012, A study on the stability of asymmetrical twin tunnels in alternating rock layers using scaled model tests, Tunnel and Underground Space, 22.1, 22-31. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.1.022
- Kim, J.W. and M.K., Kim, 2012, A Study on the stability of twin tunnels in anisotropic rocks using scaled model tests, Tunnel and Underground Space, 22.3, 205-213. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.3.205
- Kim, J.W. and J.Y. Park, 2004, A study on the deformation behaviors around twin tunnels using scaled model tests, Tunnel and Underground Space, 14.5, 381-390.
- Kim, H.T., C.H., Yoo, J.S., Hwang and H.D., Yoon, 2008, Evaluation on tunnel in uncontinuous rock mass by small-scale model tests. Proceedings of the Korean Geotechical Society Conference, 181-188.
- Lee, Y.J. and S.D., Lee, 2010, Pillar width of twin tunnels in horizontal jointed rock using large scale model tests, Tunnel and Underground Space, 20.5, 352-359.
- Matsuda, T., E. Toyosato, M. Igarashi, Y. Nashimoto and T. Sugiyama, 1997, A study on design methods for twin tunnels constructed by the single drift and central pier method, Proceeding of Studies on Tunnel Engineering, Vol. 7.
- Matsuda, T., K. Terada, M. Igarashi, K. Miura, 1998, Ground behavior and settlement control of twin tunnels in soil ground, Tunnels and Metropolises, 2, 1193-1198.
- Peck, R.B., 1969, Deep excavations and tunnelling in soft grouting, Proc. 7th ICSMFE, Mexico, State-of-the-art Report, 225-290.
- Tunnel design criteria, 2007, Ministry of Construction and Transportation, Korea, 17.
Supported by : 청주대학교