- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Topographic Survey at Small-scale Open-pit Mines using a Popular Rotary-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone)
보급형 회전익 무인항공기(드론)를 이용한 소규모 노천광산의 지형측량
- Received : 2015.10.12
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study carried out a topographic survey at a small-scale open-pit limestone mine in Korea (the Daesung MDI Seoggyo office) using a popular rotary-wing unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV, Drone, DJI Phantom2 Vision+). 89 sheets of aerial photos could be obtained as a result of performing an automatic flight for 30 minutes under conditions of 100m altitude and 3m/s speed. A total of 34 million cloud points with X, Y, Z-coordinates was extracted from the aerial photos after data processing for correction and matching, then an orthomosaic image and digital surface model with 5m grid spacing could be generated. A comparison of the X, Y, Z-coordinates of 5 ground control points measured by differential global positioning system and those determined by UAV photogrammetry revealed that the root mean squared errors of X, Y, Z-coordinates were around 10cm. Therefore, it is expected that the popular rotary-wing UAV photogrammetry can be effectively utilized in small-scale open-pit mines as a technology that is able to replace or supplement existing topographic surveying equipments.
Drone;Unmanned aerial vehicle;Photogrammetry;Digial surface model;Orthomosaic image
- Astuti, G., Longo, D., Melita, C. D., Muscato, G. and Orlando A., 2008, HIL tuning of UAV for exploration of risky environments, International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, Vol. 5, No. 4, 419-424.
- Birk, A., Wiggerich, B., Bulow, H., Pfingsthorn, M. and Schwertfeger, S., 2011, Safety, security, and rescue missions with an unmanned aerial vehicle(UAV), Journal of intelligent and robotic systems, Vol. 64, No. 1, 57-76. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10846-011-9546-8
- Cho, S.J., Bang, E.S. and Kang, I.M., 2015, Construction of Digital Terrain Model for Nonmetal Open-pit Mine by Using Unmanned Aerial Photograph, Economic and Environmental Geology, Vol. 48, No. 3, 205-212. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2015.48.3.205
- Cryderman, C., Bill Mah, S. and Shuflertoski, A., 2014, Evaluation of UAV Photogrammetric accuracy for mapping and earthworks computations, Geomatica, Vol. 68, No. 4, 309-317. https://doi.org/10.5623/cig2014-405
- Jung, S.H., Lim, H.M. and Lee, J.K., 2009, Analysis of the accuracy of the UAV photogrammetric method using digital cameara, Journal of the Korean Society of Surveying, Geodesy, Photogrammetry and Cartography, Vol. 27, No. 6, 741-747.
- Kim, K.H., 2015, Construction of high resolution photorealistic model using UAV photogrammetry, MS Thesis, Chungbuk National University, KOREA.
- Lee, I.S., Lee, J.O., Kim, S.J. and Hong, S.H., 2013, Orhtophoto accuracy assessment of ultra-light fixed wing UAV photogrammetry techniques, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 33, No. 6, 2593-2600. https://doi.org/10.12652/Ksce.2013.33.6.2593
- Lucieer, A., Jong, de S. M. and Turner, D., 2014, Mapping landslide displacements using Structure from Motion (SfM) and image correlation of multi-temporal UAV photography, Progress in Physical Geography, Vol. 38, No. 1, 97-116. https://doi.org/10.1177/0309133313515293
- McLeod, T., Samson, C., Labrie, M., Shehata, K., Mah, J., Lai, P., Wang, L. and Elder, J.H., 2013, Using video acquired from an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to measure fracture orientation in an open-pit mine, GEOMATICA, Vol. 67, No. 3, 173-180. https://doi.org/10.5623/cig2013-036
- Niethammer, U., James, M.R., Rothmund, S., Travelletti, J. and Joswig M., 2012, UAV-based remote sensing of the Super-Sauze landslide: Evaluation and results, Engineering Geology, Vol. 128, No. 1, 2-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2011.03.012
- Park, M.H., Kim, S.G. and Choi, S.Y., 2013, The study about building method of geospatial informations at construction sites by unmanned aircraft system(UAS), Journal of the Korean Cadastre Information, Vol. 15, No. 1, 145-156.
- Rhee, S., Kim, T., Kim, J., Kim, M.C. and Chang, H.J., 2015, DSM Generation and Accuracy Analysis from UAV Images on River-side Facilities, Journal of Remote Sensing, Vol. 31, No. 2, 183-191.
- Siebert, S. and Teizer, J., 2014, Mobile 3D mapping for surveying earthwork projects using an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle(UAV) system, Automation in Construction, Vol. 41, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2014.01.004
- Turner, D., Lucieer, A. and Watson, C., 2012, An automated technique for generating georectified mosaics from ultra-high resolution unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) imagery based on structure from motion (SfM) point clouds, Remote Sensing, Vol. 4, 1392-1410. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs4051392
- Uysal, M., Toprak, A.S. and Polat, N., 2015, DEM generation with UAV Photogrammetry and accuracy analysis in Sahitler hill, Measurement, Vol. 73, 539-543. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2015.06.010
- Zarco-Tejada, P.J., Diaz-Varela, R., Angileri, V. and Loudjani, P., 2014, Tree height quantification using very high resolution imagery acquired from an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) and automatic 3D photo-reconstruction methods, European Journal of Agronomy, Vol. 55, 89-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eja.2014.01.004
- On-site Demonstration of Topographic Surveying Techniques at Open-pit Mines using a Fixed-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone) vol.25, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2015.25.6.527
- Reviews of unmanned aerial vehicle (drone) technology trends and its applications in the mining industry vol.19, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/12269328.2016.1162115
- Application of Drone Photogrammetry for Current State Analysis of Damage in Forest Damage Areas vol.24, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2016.24.3.049
- Estimation of Reservoir Area and Capacity Curve Equation using UAV Photogrammetry vol.24, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2016.24.3.093
- Change Monitoring in Ecological Restoration Area of Open-Pit Mine Using Drone Photogrammetry vol.24, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7319/kogsis.2016.24.4.097
- Comparison of Topographic Surveying Results using a Fixed-wing and a Popular Rotary-wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (Drone) vol.26, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2016.26.1.024
- Mapping hazardous mining-induced sinkhole subsidence using unmanned aerial vehicle (drone) photogrammetry vol.76, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-6458-3
- New Perspectives for UAV-Based Modelling the Roman Gold Mining Infrastructure in NW Spain vol.8, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/min8110518
- A New GIS-Based Algorithm to Support Initial Transmitter Layout Design in Open-Pit Mines vol.11, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/en11113063
- Comparison of Communication Viewsheds Derived from High-Resolution Digital Surface Models Using Line-of-Sight, 2D Fresnel Zone, and 3D Fresnel Zone Analysis vol.7, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi7080322
- Open-pit mine geomorphic changes analysis using multi-temporal UAV survey vol.77, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-018-7383-9
Grant : 광물자원 탐사.개발
Supported by : 산업통상자원부