- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Study on the Reinforcement Method of a Pillar Using Tension Bolts at the Connecting Part between 2-Arch Tunnels and Parallel Tunnels
2-Arch 터널과 병렬 터널 접속부에서의 텐션볼트를 사용한 필라 보강 방법에 대한 수치해석
Park, Yeon-Jun;Choi, Jae-Jin
- Received : 2015.10.16
- Accepted : 2015.10.28
- Published : 2015.10.31
Two-arch tunnels require minimal spacing between the 2 tunnels and thus occupy small amount of land compared to parallel tunnels. But it is rather expensive. The parallel tunnel is not as expensive, but it requires more land than 2-arch tunnels. This may cause a problem when there is a land shortage. The new design is to connect these two types of tunnels by another pair of parallel tunnels where the separation distance is gradually increasing. The applicability of this new design to the cases where rock condition is not even fair has to be verified since the width of the pillar between the connecting tunnels can be quite narrow. Therefore both two and three dimensional numerical analyses were conducted and pillar stability was examined for rock classes IV and V in two different ways. Results showed that this new design is still effective for poor rock conditions if central pillar is properly reinforced by tension bolts as long as overburden is less than five times of the tunnel diameter.
2-arch tunnel;Parallel tunnel;Pillar 2-arch varying section tunnel;Tension bolt
- Baek, Seung-cheol, Bu-sik Jang, Tae-gyu Lee, Sung-min Lee, Jung-soon Hwang 2009, A Study on the Stability Estimation Procedure for Reinforced Pillar of Twin Tunnel, J. Korean Geo-Environmental Society, 10(7), 81-91.
- Choi, Jae-Jin, Yeon-Jun Park, Si-Keun Kim, Jae-Hyun Park 2012, A Case Study on the Design and Construction of a 2-arch Tunnel with Varying Section, J. Korean Soc. Rock Mech.(Tunnel & Undergr. Space), 22(5), 310-320. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.5.310
- Hoek, E. I. and E. T. Brown, 1980, Underground Excavations in Rock, IMM, London 527p.
- Hwang, Jung-Soon, Seung-Wook Kim, Yoon-Kyung Bang, Hong-Taek Kim 2005, Stability Estimation Method and Analysis for Pillar Considering the Reinforcement Method, J. Korean Soc. Civil Engineers, 5606-5609.
- Kang, Jae-Gi, Hyung-Sik Yang and Sun-Jong Jang 2014, Stability Analysis of Rock Pillar in the Diverging Area of Road Tunnel, J. Korean Soc. Rock Mech.(Tunnel & Undergr. Space), 24(5), 344-353. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2014.24.5.344
- Kim, Won-Beom, Hyung-Sik Yang and Tae-Wook Ha 2012, An Assessment of Rock Pillar Behavior in Very Near Parallel Tunnel, J. Korean Soc. Rock Mech.(Tunnel & Undergr. Space), 22(1), 60-68. https://doi.org/10.7474/TUS.2012.22.1.060
- Korea highway corporation 2009, Road design manual, 343p.
- Park Yeon-Jun, Il-Hyung Ryu 2011, A Study on the Estimation of Load Distribution Factors Considering Excavation Methods and Initial Stress Conditions, Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, 73-77.