- Volume 39 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Property Evaluation Method Using Spherical Indentation for High-Yield Strength Materials
고강도 재료에 대한 구형압입 물성평가법
- Received : 2014.10.22
- Accepted : 2015.06.01
- Published : 2015.11.01
In this paper, we propose a method to evaluate the material properties of high-yield strength materials exceeding 10GPa from spherical indentation. Using a regression equation considering four indentation variables, we map the load displacement relation into a stress-strain relation. To calculate the properties of high-strength materials, we then write a program that produces material properties using the loading / unloading data from the indentation test. The errors in material properties computed by the program are within 0.3, 0.8, and 6.4 for the elastic modulus, yield strength, and hardening coefficient, respectively.
Spherical Indentation;FEA;Reverse Analysis;High Strength Material;Material Property;Load-depth Curve;Stress-strain Curve
- Lee, J. H., Kim, T. and Lee, H., 2010, "A Study on Robust Indentation Techniques to Evaluate Elasticplastic Properties of Metals," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 47, pp. 647-664. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2009.11.003
- Larsson, P.-L., Giannakopoulos, A. E., Soderlund, E., Rowcliffe, D. J. and Vestergaard, R., 1996, "Analysis of Berkovich Indentation," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 33, pp. 221-248. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7683(95)00033-7
- Giannakopoulos, A. E. and Suresh, S., 1999, "Determination of Elastoplastic Properties by Instrumented Sharp Indentation," Scripta Materialia, Vol. 40, pp. 1191-1198. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6462(99)00011-1
- Cheng, Y. T. and Cheng, C. M., 1998, "Scaling Approach to Conical Indentation in Elasto-plastic Solids with Work Hardening," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 84, pp. 1284-1291. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.368196
- Dao, M., Chollacoop, N., Van Vliet, K. J., Venkatesh, T. A. and Suresh, S., 2001, "Computational Modeling of the Forward and Reverse Problems in Instrumented Sharp Indentation," Acta Materialia, Vol. 49, pp. 3899-3918. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(01)00295-6
- Lee, J. H., Lee, H., Hyun, H. C. and Kim, M., 2010, "Numerical approaches and Experimental Verification of the Conical Indentation Techniques for Residual Stress Evaluation," Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 25, pp. 2212-2223. https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.2010.0275
- Lee, H. and Lee, J. H., 2008, "Evaluation of Material Characteristics by Micro / Nano Indentation Tests," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 10, pp. 805-816. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.10.805
- Abaqus Version 6.13 User's Manual, 2013, Dassault Systems Simulia Corp., Providence, RI, USA.
- Tabor, D., 1951, The Hardness of Metals, Oxford University Press, London.
- Vander Voort, G. F., 1984, Metallography Principles and Practice, ASM international, Chapter 5.
- Taljat, B., Zacharia, T. and Kosel, F., 1997, "New Analytical Procedure to Determine Stress-strain Curve from Spherical Indentation Data," International Journal of Solids and Structures, Vol. 35, pp. 4411-4426.
- Sneddon, I. N., 1965, "The Relation between Load and Penetration in the Axisymmetric Boussinesq Problem for a Punch of Arbitrary Profile," International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol. 3, pp. 47-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7225(65)90019-4
- Pharr, C. M., Oliver, W. C. and Brotzen, F. R., 1992, "On the Generality of the Relationship among Contact Stiffness, Contact Area and Elastic Modulus during Indentation," Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 7, pp. 613-617. https://doi.org/10.1557/JMR.1992.0613
- Hill, R., Storakers, B. and Zdunek, A. B., 1989, "A Theoretical Study of the Brinell Hardness Test," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, Vol. 423, pp. 301-330. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1989.0056
- Hay, J. and Crawford, B., 2011, "Measuring Substrateindependent Modulus of Thin Films," Journal of Material Research 26 / 6, pp. 727-738. https://doi.org/10.1557/jmr.2011.8
- Hyun, H. C., Lee, J. H. and Lee, H., 2008, "Mathematical Expressions for Stress-strain Curve of Metallic Material," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 21-28. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2008.32.1.021
- Tabor, D, 1948, "A Simple Theory of Static and Dynamic Hardness," Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A 192, pp. 247-274. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspa.1948.0008
- Haggag, F. M., Wang, J. A., Sokolov, M. A. and Murty, K. L., 1997, "Use of Portable / In Situ Stress-strain Microprobe System to Measure Stress-strain Behavior and Damage in Metallic Materials and Structures," Nontraditional Methods of Sensing Stress, Strain, and Damage in Materials and Structures. ASTM STP 1318, pp. 85-98.
Supported by : 한국연구재단