- Volume 39 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Effects of Metal Coatings on Adhesive Characteristics of Gecko-like Micro Structures
도마뱀 인공섬모 구조물의 접착 특성에 금속코팅이 미치는 영향
- Kim, Gyu Hye (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Andong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- An, Tea Chang (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Andong Nat'l Univ.) ;
- Hwang, Hui Yun (Dept. of Mechanical Design Engineering, Andong Nat'l Univ.)
- Received : 2015.02.13
- Accepted : 2015.06.07
- Published : 2015.11.01
Recently, there have been several studies on the inspiration and application of optimized natural structures. One study introduced a new adhesion method that was inspired by the feet of geckos because of their superior features such as high adhesion strength, ease-of-removal, and they are environmentally friendly. Various micro- or nano-structures were fabricated and tested for gecko-like dry adhesives, but gecko-like dry adhesives that were developed became easily worn from frequent use. In this study, we propose a metal-coating method to improve the durability of gecko-like dry adhesives. We evaluate the initial adhesion strength and durability by performing repeated adhesion tests on a glass plate. The initial adhesive strength of gold-coated micro-structures was 60% of that for non-coated ones. However, the adhesive strength of gold-coated micro-structures was kept as 58% of their initial adhesion strength, while that of non-coated ones was only 40%.
Gecko-Like Microstructures;Metal Coating;Adhesion
Supported by : 안동대학교
- Moon, M.-W., Cha, T.-G., Lee, K.-R., Vaziri, A. and Kim, H.-Y., 2009, "Adhesion and Friction Behaviors of the Angled Micro-pillars"The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers,Vol. 2009, No. 5, pp. 268-269.
- Cho, Y.-S., Jung, D.-H., Han, H. and Kim, W.-D., 2007, "Fabrication of a Novel Dry Adhesive Structure with Reduced Effective Stiffness." The Korean Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol. 2007, No. 5, pp. 1900-1904.
- Durability Improvement of Synthetic Dry Adhesives by Metal Coatings vol.2017, pp.1687-8442, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/1696038