- Volume 39 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
Prediction of Dynamics of Bellows in Exhaust System of Vehicle Using Equivalent Beam Modeling
등가 보 모델링 방법을 이용한 차량 배기계의 벨로우즈 동특성 예측
- Received : 2015.02.25
- Accepted : 2015.08.11
- Published : 2015.11.01
The exhaust system is one of the major sources of vibrations, along with the suspension system and engine. When the exhaust system is connected directly to the engine, it transfers vibrations to the vehicle body through the body mounts. Therefore, in order to reduce the vibrations transmitted from the exhaust system, the vibration characteristics of the exhaust system should be predicted. Thus, the dynamic characteristics of the bellows, which form a key component of the exhaust system, must be modeled accurately. However, it is difficult to model the bellows because of the complicated geometry. Though the equivalent beam modeling technique has been applied in the design stage, it is not sufficiently accurate in the case of the bellows which have complicated geometries. In this paper, we present an improved technique for modeling the bellows in a vehicle. The accuracy of the modeling method is verified by comparison with the experimental results.
Bellows;Equivalent beam;Finite element analysis
- Oh, S. G., Lee, K. K., Suh, C. H., Jung, Y. C. and Kim, Y. S., 2011, "Shape Optimization of Multilayer Bellows by Using Sequential Experimental Design," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 1007-1013. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2011.35.9.1007
- Lee, S. H. and Lee, T. W., 2015, "Study on Deformation of Miniature Metal Bellows in Cryocooler Following Temperature Change of Internal Gas," Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 429-435. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2015.39.4.429
- Ko, B. G., Lee, W. I. and Park, G. J., 1994, "Improvement of Vibrational Characteristics According to Attachment of Bellows and Evaluation of Bellows Optimal Position in Automobile Exhaust System," Trans. Korean Soc. Auto. Eng., Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 21-32.
- Expansion Joint Manufacturers Association, 2009, "Standards of The Expansion Joint Manufacturers Association," Expansion Joint Manufacturers Association, Inc., 9th Ed., New York.
- Koh, B. K., 2008, "Development of a Bellows Design Software Based on EJMA," Trans. Korean Soc. Machine Tool Eng., Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 150-157.
- Zhang, L., Lu, J. and Yu, Y., 2014, "The Optimal Design of Bellows Using a Novel Discrete Particle Swarm Optimisation Algorithm," Int. J. Computing Science and Mathematics, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 48-60. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJCSM.2014.059383
- Cho, W. Y., 2005, "A Study on the Dynamic Characteristics of Bellows," Master's Thesis, Kunsan National University, Kunsan.
- Broman, G., Hermann, M. and Jonsson, A., 1999, "Modeling Flexible Bellows by Standard Beam Finite Elements," University of Kariskrona/Fonneby, Research Report 12/1999, Karlskrona, Sweden.
- MSC.Software, 2014, "MSC.Nastran User Manual," http://www.mscsoftware.com