- Volume 39 Issue 11
DOI QR Code
A Study on Variations of the Low Cycle Fatigue Life of a High Pressure Turbine Nozzle Caused by Inlet Temperature Profiles and Installation Conditions
고압터빈 노즐에서 입구온도분포와 장착조건에 따른 저주기 피로 수명 영향에 대한 연구
- Huh, Jae Sung (Aero-propulsion Research Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Kang, Young Seok (Aero-propulsion Research Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Rhee, Dong Ho (Aero-propulsion Research Office, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Seo, Do Young (School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Pusan Nat’l Univ.)
- Received : 2015.05.14
- Accepted : 2015.09.05
- Published : 2015.11.01
High pressure components of a gas turbine engine must operate for a long life under severe conditions in order to maximize the performance and minimize the maintenance cost. Enhanced cooling design, thermal barrier coating techniques, and nickel-base superalloys have been applied for overcoming them and furthermore, material modeling, finite element analysis, statistical techniques, and etc. in design stage have been utilized widely. This article aims to evaluate the effects on the low cycle fatigue life of the high pressure turbine nozzle caused by different turbine inlet temperature profiles and installation conditions and to investigate the most favorable operating condition to the turbine nozzle. To achieve it, the structural analysis, which utilized the results of conjugate heat transfer analysis as loading boundary conditions, was performed and its results were the input for the assessment of low cycle fatigue life at several critical zones.
High Pressure Turbine Nozzle;Directionally Solidified Material;Turbine Inlet Temperature Profile;Installation Condition;Low Cycle Fatigue Life;Critical Plane Approach
Grant : 중소형 항공기용 터보팬 엔진의 고압터빈 냉각 설계기술 개발 및 시험평가 기술 구축
- Halila, E. E., Lenahan, D. T. and Thomas, T. T., 1982, High Pressure Turbine Test Hardware Detailed Design Report, NASA CR-167955.
- Mazur, Z., Hernandez-Rossette, A., Garcia-Illescas, R. and Luna-Ramirez, A., 2008, "Failure Analysis of a Gas Turbine Nozzle," Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 15, pp. 913-921. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engfailanal.2007.10.009
- Arkhipov, A. N., Krasnovskiy, Y. E. and Putchkov, I. V., 2011, "Probabilistic Life Assessment of Turbine Vanes," Proceeding of ASME Turbo Expo 2011, GT2011-45841.
- Mazur, Z. and Perez-Hernandez, E. B., 2011, "Gas Turbine Nozzle Life Assessment due to Thermal Fatigue," Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2011, GT2011-45247.
- Zheng, X. Q., Du, T. and Zhang, Y. J., 2011, "Prediction of Thermal Fatigue Life of a Turbine Nozzle Guide Vane," Journal of Zhejiang University- Science A(Applied Physics & Engineering), Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 214-222. https://doi.org/10.1631/jzus.A1000233
- Huh, J. S., Rhee, D. H., Kang, Y. S., Seo, D. C. and Cha, B. J. 2014, "A Parametric Study on the High Pressure Turbine Nozzle of a Gas Turbine Engine for Structural Integrity," 8th China-Japan-Korea Joint Symposium on Optimization of Structural and Mechanical Systems, W2E_5_145.
- Socie, D. F. and Marquis, G. B., 1999, Multiaxial fatigue, SAE, Int.
- You, B. R. and Lee, S. B., 1996, "A Critical Review on Multiaxial Fatigue Assessments of Metals," International Journal of Fatigue, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 235-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/0142-1123(96)00002-3
- Das, J. and Sivakumar, S. M., 2008, "Life Modeling of Notched CM247LC DS Nickel-Base Superalloy," Engineering Failure Analysis, Vol. 7, pp. 347-358.
- Moore, Z. J., 2006, "Multiaxial Fatigue Life Prediction of a High Pressure Steam Turbine Rotor Using a Critical Plane Approach," Master thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Kupkovits, P. A., 2008, "Thermomechanical Fatigue Behavior of the Directionally-Solidified Nickel-Base Superalloy CM247LC," Master Thesis, Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Kang, Y. S., Rhee, D. H., Huh, J. S. and Cha, B. J., 2015, "Thermal Boundary Condition Effects on Conjugate Heat Transfer Analysis of High Pressure Turbine Nozzle," 2015 The 8th Asian-Pacific Conference on Aerospace Technology, 140223.
- Military Handbook, 2002, "Engine Structural Integrity Program (ENSIP)," MIL-HDBK-1783B.
- A Study on the Effects on Low Cycle Fatigue Life of a High Pressure Turbine Nozzle due to the Perturbation of Crystal Orientation of Grain of DS Materials vol.40, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2016.40.7.653