- Volume 15 Issue 4
Purpose: This study aimed at finding the optimal input variables of the artificial neural network-based predictive model for the optimal controls of the indoor temperature environment. By applying the optimal input variables to the predictive model, the required time for restoring the current indoor temperature during the setback period to the normal setpoint temperature can be more precisely calculated for the cooling season. The precise prediction results will support the advanced operation of the cooling system to condition the indoor temperature comfortably in a more energy-efficient manner. Method: Two major steps employing the numerical computer simulation method were conducted for developing an ANN model and finding the optimal input variables. In the first process, the initial ANN model was intuitively determined to have input neurons that seemed to have a relationship with the output neuron. The second process was conducted for finding the statistical relationship between the initial input variables and output variable. Result: Based on the statistical analysis, the optimal input variables were determined.
- Jin Woo Moon, ANN-based model-free thermal controls for residential building, Ph.D. Dissertation, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2009.
- Jin Woo Moon, Sung Kwon Jung, Youngchul Kim, Seung-Hoon, Comparative study of artificial intelligence-based building thermal control methods - Application of fuzzy, adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system, and artificial neural network, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.31, 2011.
- In-Ho Yang, Myoung-Souk Yeo, Kwang-Woo Kim, Application of artificial neural network to predict the optimal start time for heating system in building, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol.44, 2003.
- In Ho Yang, Kwang-Woo Kim, Development of artificial neural network model for the prediction of descending time of room air temperature, International Journal of Air-Conditioning and Refrigeration, Vol.12, 2000.
- Abdulatif E. Ben-Nakhi, Mohamed A. Mahmoud, Energy conservation in buildings through efficient A/C control using neural networks, Applied Energy, Vol.73, 2002.
- Athanassios A. Argiriou, Ioannis Bellas-Velidis, Michael Kummert, Philippe Andre, A neural network controller for hydronic heating systems of solar buildings, Neural Network, Vol.17, 2004.
- Athanassios A. Argiriou, Ioannis Bellas-Velidis, Balaras CA, Development of a neural network heating controller for solar buildings, Neural Network, Vol.13, 2000.
- Jin Woo Moon, Performance of ANN-based predictive and adaptive thermal control methods for disturbances in and around residential buildings, Building and Environment, Vol.48, 2011.
- Jin Woo Moon, Seung-Hoon Han, A Comparative Study Between Thermostat/Hygrometer-Based Conventional and Artificial Neural Network-Based Predictive/Adaptive Thermal Controls in Residential Buildings, Journal of Asian Architecture and Building Engineering, Vol.11, 2012.
- Jin Woo Moon, Jong-Jin Kim, ANN-based thermal control methods for residential buildings, Building and Environment, Vol.45, 2010.
- Nicolas Morel, Manuel Bauer, Mario El-Khoury, Jens Krauss, NEUROBAT, a predictive and adaptive heating control system using artificial neural networks, International Journal of Solar Energy, Vol.21, 2001.
- Jin-Young Lee, Myoung-Souk Yeo, Kwang-Woo Kim, Predictive control of the radiant floor heating system in apartment buildings, Journal of Asian Architecture and Building Engineering, Vol.1, 2002.
- Jin-Young Lee, In-Ho Yang, Seung-Yeong Song, Hway-Suh Kim, Kwang-Woo Kim, A study of the predictive control of the ondol system in apartments, In: International Building Performance Simulation Association, Kyoto (Japan), 1999.
- Abbassi A, Bahar L, Application of neural network for the modeling and control of evaporative condenser cooling load, Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol.25, 2005.
- Chow TT, Lin Z, Song CL, Zhang GQ. Applying neural network and genetic algorithm in chiller system optimization, In: Seventh International IBPSA Conference, Rio de Janeiro (Brazil); 2001.
- Esen Hikmet, Inalli Mustafa, Sengur Abdulkadir, Esen Mehmet, Forecasting of a ground-coupled heat pump performance using neural networks with statistical data weighting pre-processing, International Journal of Thermal Science, Vol.47, 2008.
- Esen Hikmet, Inalli Mustafa, Sengur Abdulkadir, Ense Mehmet, Artificial neural networks and adaptive neuro-fuzzy assessments for ground-coupled heat pump system, Energy and Buildings, Vol.40, 2008.
- Esen Hikmet, Inalli Mustafa, Sengur Abdulkadir, Esen Mehmet,. Performance prediction of a ground-coupled heat pump system using artificial neural networks, Expert Systems and Application, Vol.35, 2008.
- MathWorks, MATLAB 14, vol. 26; 2012-5. Available from: http://www.mathworks.com/; 2012-5. P. 10-7.
- Datta D, Tassou SA, Marriott D. Application of neural networks for the prediction of the energy consumption in a supermarket, In: Proceedings of CLIMA 2000 conference, Brussels (Belgium); 1997.
- Jin Yang, Hugues Rivard, Radu Zmeureanu, On-line building energy prediction using adaptive artificial neural networks, Energy and Buildings, Vol.37, 2005.
- Jin Woo Moon, Ji-Hyun Lee, Yoon Y, Sooyoung Kim, Determining optimum control of double skin envelope for indoor thermal environment based on artificial neural network, Energy and Buildings, Vol.69, 2014.
- Soteris A. Kalogirou, Milorad Bojic, Artificial neural networks for the prediction of the energy consumption of a passive solar building, Energy, Vol.25, 2000.
- University of Wisconsin, TRNSYS16.1. 2013-12. Available from: http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys/. 2013-12.
- Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs. Design of environmental-friendly houses and guidelines for performance evaluation. Gwachon: Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs of Korea; 2009.
- Alpine, Sizing estimator for heating & cooling equipment. 2013-6. http://www.alpinehomeair.com/view.cfm?objID=4A176770-C3EB-4E97-AAED-C34B81D7AFED. 2013-6.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 서일대학교