- Volume 22 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Qualitative Study on Responsible Tour Operators' Perception and Operation Status
공정관광 운영자의 인식과 공정관광 운영 현황 분석 - 심층면접을 통한 영역분석을 중심으로 -
Kim, Kyung-Hee;Kang, Sung-Jin
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.03.10
- Published : 2015.03.31
Responsible tourism attracting worldwide attention has supported local economy and community development as a type of alternative tourism. This study explored the perception toward fairness in tourism and operation status of responsible tour operators in South Korea by conducting in-depth interviews with probe questions. Ten responsible tour operators were interviewed with a semi-structured interview questionnaire for one upto two hours. From the interview data, six themes were identified as difficulties of responsible tour operators: lack of manpower, advertising and promotion, absence of marketing strategy, regulation, lack of budget and lack of recognition of responsible tourism. As government support identified through the interviews, there are the followings seven themes: a low entry barrier market, investment in human resources, resource utilization, community-based policies, connection with local produce, community support and connection system of responsible travel agencies with intermediate support organizations at a local level, The findings of this paper implicate the underlying subject of responsible tourism from a tour operators' perspective.
responsible tourism;tour operator;perception
- 박정하. (2014). 해외관광자들의 개인가치에 따른 공정관광 인식 차이 연구: 대전지역을 중심으로. 관광연구저널, 28(6), 37-52.
- 조명환, & 정선자. (2012). 관광객의 가치와 공정관광 결과지각에 관한 연구 - 윤리적 소비행동의 매개효과를 중심으로. 관광학연구, 36(1), 91-114.
- Blackstock, K. L., White, V., McCrum, G., Scott, A., & Hunter, C. (2008). Measuring responsibility: An appraisal of a Scottish National Park's sustainable tourism indicators. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 16(3), 276-297. https://doi.org/10.2167/jost787.0
- Boluk, K. A. (2011). Fair trade tourism South Africa: Consumer virtue or moral selving? Journal of Ecotourism, 10(3), 235-249. https://doi.org/10.1080/14724049.2011.617451
- Buckley, R. (2012). Sustainable tourism: Research and reality. Annals of Tourism Research, 39(2), 528-546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2012.02.003
- Budeanu, A. (2005). Impacts and responsibilities for sustainable tourism: a tour operator's perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production, 13(2), 89-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2003.12.024
- Caruana, R., Glozer, S., Crane, A., & McCabe, S. (2014). Tourists' accounts of responsible tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 46, 115-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2014.03.006
- Cleverdon, R., & Kalisch, A. (2000). Fair trade in tourism. International Journal of Tourism Research, 2, 171-187. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1522-1970(200005/06)2:3<171::AID-JTR194>3.0.CO;2-K
- Cooper, C. P., & Ozdil, I. (1992). From mass to 'responsible' tourism: The Turkish experience. Tourism Management, 13(4), 377-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(92)90005-R
- Creswell, J. (2012). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. CA: Sage Publications.
- 농촌진흥청. (2011). 도시민 농촌관광 실태조사. 수원: 농촌진흥청.
- 박미혜. (2010). 공정관광 경험에 대한 소비자인식 연구. 한국생활과학회지, 19(5), 857-872.
- Decrop, A. (2004). Trustworthiness in qualitative tourism research. In J. Phillipmore & L. Goodson (Eds.), Qualitative research in tourism: Ontologies, epistemologies and methodologies. London: Routledge.
- Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism (DEAT) (2002) Responsible Tourism Gruidelines for South Africa. DEAT.
- Fennell, D. A., & Malloy, D. C. (1999). Measuring the ethical nature of tourism operators. Annals of Tourism Research, 26(4), 928-943. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(99)00032-8
- Fletcher, J. E., Witt, S. F., & Moutinho, L. (1994). Analytical methods applied to tourism. Hemel Hempsted: Prentice-Hall.
- Frey, N., & George, R. (2010). Responsible tourism management: The missing link between business owners' attitudes and behaviour in the Cape Town tourism industry. Tourism Management, 31(5), 621-628. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2009.06.017
- FTTSA(2011). Making tourism more responsible and more rewarding. from http://www.fairtourismsa.org.za.
- Goodwin, H., & Francis, J. (2003) Ethical and responsible tourism: Consumer trends in the UK. Journal of Vacation Marketing, 9(3), 271-284. https://doi.org/10.1177/135676670300900306
- Hudson, S., & Miller, G. A. (2005). The responsible marketing of tourism: The case of Canadian Mountain Holidays. Tourism Management, 26, 133-142. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2003.06.005
- Kang, M. H., & Moscardo, G. (2006). Exploring cross-cultural differences in attitudes towards responsible tourist behaviour: A comparison of Korean, British and Australian tourists. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research. 11(4), 303-320. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941660600931143
- Krippendorff, K. (1980). Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage.
- Miller, G. A. (2010). Consumerism in sustainable tourism: A survey of UK consumers. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 11(1), 17-39.
- Neuendorf, K. A. (2002). The content analysis guidebook. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Park, D. B., & Yoon, Y. S. (2009). Segmentation by motivation in rural tourism: A Korean case study. Tourism Management, 30(1), 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.03.011
- Porter, M. E., & Kramer, M. R. (2011). Creating shared value. Harvard Business Review, 89(1/2), 62-77.
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P., & Thornhill, A. (2007). Research method for business students(4th ed.). UK: Financial Times, Prentice Hall.
- Sin, H. L. (2010). Who are we responsible to? Locals' tales of volunteer tourism. Geoforum, 41, 983-992. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2010.08.007
- Spenceley A, Relly, P., Keyser, H., Warmeant, P., McKenzie, M., Mataboge, A., Norton, P., Mahlangu, S., & Sief, J. (2002) Responsible Tourism Manual for South Africa. Department for Environmental Affairs and Tourism, Pretoria.
- Spenceley, A. (2005). Nature-based tourism and environmental sustainability in South Africa. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 13(2), 136-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669580508668483
- Spenceley, A. (2007) Responsible tourism practices by South Africa tour operators. International Centre for Responsible Tourism - South Africa.
- Spradley, J. (1979). The ethnographic interview. CA: Wadsworth.
- Stanford, D. (2008). 'Exceptional visitors': Dimensions of tourist responsibility in the context of New Zealand. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 16(3), 258-275. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669580802154082
- United Nations (UN). (1987). The Brundland report. www.un.org.
- Weiss, S. (1994). Learning from strangers: The art and method of qualitative interview Studies. New York: Free Press.
- World Tourism Market Responsible Tourism. (2013). About WTM responsible tourism. Retrieved Sep. 15th 2014 from WTM Website: http://www.wtmresponsibletourism.com/Content/About-WTM-Responsible-Tourism
- Center for Responsible Tourism (2015) http://www.responsibletravel.org/
- Ethical Traveler(2015) http://www.ethicaltraveler.org/
- Tourism Concern(2015) http://www.tourismconcern.org.uk/
- Determinants of Re-participation for Rural Responsible Tourism vol.27, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2016.27.1.67
Supported by : 국립농업과학원