- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Indicators of the Destination Competitiveness of Rural Tourism Township in Korea
관광목적지로서의 농촌관광마을의 경쟁력 평가지표 개발
Yoon, Jun-Sang;Kim, So-Yun;Park, Duk-Byeong
- Received : 2015.03.22
- Accepted : 2015.06.05
- Published : 2015.06.30
Competitiveness has been associated in the tourism literature as a crucial factor for the success of tourist destinations. This study is to develop indicators that measure destination competitiveness of rural tourism townships in Korea. It was conducted via a Delphi technique and the analytical hierarchy process method. After four rounds of discussions, the panel members reached consensus on a set of 27 indicators with three dimensions which are attractor (resource, infrastructure, and tourism products), assistance (tourism business assistance and value-added processing assistance), and planning and management (planning for development, capacity for management). This set of destination competitiveness indicators can serve as a starting point for devising a set of indicators at the local level in order to be useful rural tourism sector manager and administrators. The selected indicators are measurable, demand driven and practical to show the real performance in rural destination.
rural tourism;destination competitiveness;indicator
- 권유홍, & 이인재. (2006). 컨벤션개최지 선택속성에 따른 컨벤션도시 경쟁력 평가척도개발. 서울도시연구, 7(1), 17-33.
- 서용건, 고광희, & 김민철. (2010). 섬 관광목적지 경쟁력지표 개발에 관한 연구. 관광.레저연구, 22(1), 167-187.
- 서정태. (2004). 관광목적지 경쟁력 결정요인에 관한 연구. 관광연구논총, 16, 233-248.
- 이동현. (1998). 국제경쟁력 연구에 관한 비판적 고찰. 국제경영연구, 9(1), 130-154.
- Ayikoru, M. (2015). Destination competitiveness challenges: A Ugandan perspective. Tourism Management, 50, 142-158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2015.01.009
- Claver-Cortes, E., Mollina-Azorin, J. F., & Pereira-Moliner, J. (2007). Competitiveness in mass tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 34(3), 727-745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2007.03.010
- Croes, R. (2010). Measuring and explaining competitiveness in the context of small island destinations. Journal of Travel Research, 50(4), 431-442.
- Crouch, G. I., & Ritchie, J. R. (1999). Tourism, competitiveness, and societal prosperity. Journal of Business Research, 44(3), 137-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(97)00196-3
- Crouch, G. I. (2011). Destination competitiveness: An analysis of determinant attributes. Journal of Travel Research, 50(1), 27-45. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287510362776
- d'Harteserre, A. (2000). Lessons in managerial destination competitiveness in the case of prosperity. Journal of Business Research, 44, 137-152.
- Dragicevic, V., Jovicic, D., Blesic, I., Stankov, U., & Boskovic, D. (2012). Business tourism destination competitiveness: A case of Vojvodina Province (Serbia). Economic Research, 25(2), 311-332.
- Dwyer, L., & Kim, C. W. (2003). Destination Competitiveness: Determinants and Indicators. Current Issues in Tourism, 6(5), 369-414. https://doi.org/10.1080/13683500308667962
- 김철원. (2000). 관광산업 경쟁력 평가모델 개발. 서울: 한국관광연구원.
- 김철원, 박유미, & 이향정. (2005). 컨벤션 개최지의 이미지가 만족도 및 사후반응에 미치는 영향. 관광학연구, 28(4), 273-294.
- Enright, M. J., & Newton, J. (2004). Tourism destination competitiveness: A quantitative approach. Tourism Management, 25(6), 777-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2004.06.008
- Enright, M. J., & Newton, J. (2005). Determinants of tourism destination competitiveness in Asia Pacific: comprehensiveness and universality. Journal of Travel Research, 43(4), 339-350. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287505274647
- Hassan, S. (2000). Determinants of market competitiveness in an environmentally sustainable tourism industry. Journal of Travel Research, 38(3), 239-245. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728750003800305
- Kim, N-H. (2012). Tourism destination competitiveness, globalization, and strategic development from a development economics perspective. Ph.D dissertation at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Mazanec, J. A, Wober, K., & Zins, A. H. (2007). Tourism Destination Competitiveness: From Definition to Explanation?. Journal of Travel Research, 46(1), 86-95. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287507302389
- Meng, F. (2006). An examination of destination competitiveness from the tourists' perspective: The relationship between quality of tourism experience and perceived destination competitiveness. Ph. D Dissertation at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.
- Moon, H. C, Rugman, A. M., & Verbeke, A. (1998). A generalized double diamond approach to the global competitiveness of Korea and Singapore. International Business Review, 7(2), 135-150. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-5931(98)00002-X
- Oppermann, M. (1996). Convention destination images: analysis of association meeting planners' perceptions. Tourism Management, 17(3), 175-182. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(96)00004-0
- Park, D.B., & Yoon, Y.S. (2011). Developing sustainable rural tourism evaluation indicatiors. International Journal of Tourism Research, 13, 401-415. https://doi.org/10.1002/jtr.804
- Porter, M. (1990). Competitive advantages of nations. New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Qu, H., Li. L., & Chu, G. K. T. (2000). The comparative analysis of Hong Kong as an international conference destination in Southeast Asia. Tourism Management, 21(6), 643-648. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(00)00010-8
- Ritchie, J. R., & Crouch, G. I. (1993). Competitiveness in international tourism: A framework for understanding and analysis. Proceedings of the 43rd Congress of Association Internationale d'Experts Scientifique de Tourisme. San Carlos de Bariloche, Argentina, 17-23 October.
- Ritchie, J. R., & Crouch, G. I. (2000). The competitive destination: A sustainability perspective. Tourism Management, 21(1), 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(99)00093-X
- Rugman, A. M. (1991). Diamond in the rough. Business Quarterly, 55(3), 61-64.
- Rugman, A. M. (1992). Porter takes the wrong turn. Business Quarterly, 56(3), 59-64.
- Rugman, A. M., & D'Cruz, J. (1993). The double diamond model: Canada's experience. Management International Review, 33, 17-39.
- Santos, M. C., Ferreira, A. M., & Costa, C. (2014). Influential factors in the competitiveness of mature tourism destinations. Tourism & Management Studies, 10(1), 73-81.
- Waheeduzzan, A., & Ryans, J. (1996). Definition, perspectives, and understanding of international competitiveness: A quest for a common ground. Competitiveness Review, 6(2), 7-26. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb046333
Supported by : 국립농업과학원