- Volume 22 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Factors Influencing the National Agricultural Advisory Service in Uganda: Domestic and International Context
우간다 농촌지도사업의 국내외적인 영향 요인 고찰
Cho, Gyoung-Rae;Kang, Youn-Hwa;Koh, Young-Kon
- Received : 2015.03.22
- Accepted : 2015.06.12
- Published : 2015.06.30
In Uganda, the National Agricultural Advisory Service (NAADS) is responsible for agricultural advisory and extension services of the country. NAADS is a semi-autonomous public agency under the Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (MAAIF) accounted for 45% of the MAAIF total budget. It aims to have a decentralized farmer owned/controlled agricultural advisory service system with increasing participation of the private sector. NAADS is greatly influenced by the extension framework of Neuchatel Group comprising representatives from the cooperation agencies and Official Development Assistance (ODA) donor countries. At the initial stage of the program, only 7 districts promoted the initiative and eventually spread out all over the country afterwards. These initiatives greatly contribute to the agricultural development and increase the farmers' income by 42-53%. However, due to the political intervention, the original goal was manipulated and criticized with briberies and corruption. Recently, the government of Uganda is considering a way to unify the agricultural advisory and extension services under the government programs.
- Birner, R., & Anderson, J. R. (2007). How to make agricultural extension demand-driven? The case of India's agricultural extension policy.
- Hakiza, J.,J., Odogola, W., Mugisha, J., Semana, A. R., Nalukwago, J. Okoth J., & Ekwamu, A. (2004). Challenges and prospects of disseminating technologies through farmer field schools: Lessons learnt based on experience from Uganda. Uganda Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 9, 163-175.
- Kasimiro, O., Okello, J., Wakulira, K. R., Mwebaze, M., & Yiga, D. (2012). Dissemination of Agricultural technologies: A new approach for Uganda.
- Kjaer, A. M. & Joughi, J. 2012. The Reversal of Agricultural Reform in Uganda: Ownership and values. Policy and Society, 31, 319-330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polsoc.2012.09.004
- Mangheni, M. J. (ed.) (2007). Experiences, innovations and issues in agricultural extension in Uganda; Lessons and prospects. Kampala, Uganda: Fountain Publishers.
- Neuchatel Group. (2007). Common framework on Agricultural Extension. Paris, France: Neuchatel Group. http://www.g-fras.org/fileadmin/UserFiles/Documents/Frames-and-guidelines/New-paradigms/Common-Framework-on-Agricultural-Extension.pdf
- MAAIF. (2014). Restructuring of the National Agricultural Advisory Service (NAADS). Press Release. 2014. 7. 18
- Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (2013). Reform Proposals for the National Agricultural Extension System. Presented at National Stakeholder Conference on Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services 23rd to 24th October 2013.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Industry and Fisheries (2014). Reform Proposals for the National Agricultural Extension System. Presented at National Stakeholder Conference on Agricultural Extension and Advisory Services 3rd April 2014.
- New Vision 16th May. 2012. 7.
- New Vision, 25th Feb. 2013.
- New Vision, 2nd Apr. 2013.
- Oumo, F. I., & Cho, K. (2014). Present and future of agricultural extension system in Uganda. Journal of Agricultural Extension & Community Development, 21(1), 245-272. https://doi.org/10.12653/jecd.2014.21.1.0245
- Semana, A. R. (2002). Agricultural extension services at crossroads: Present dilemma and possible solutions for future in Uganda.
- Swanson, B. E. & Samy, M. M. (2002). Decentralization of agricultural extension systems: Key elements for success.
- Yiga, M., Githeko, J., & Ugen, M. (2010). Use of Information and Communication Technologies in the Access and Dissemination of Agricultural Information in Public Agricultural Research Institute in Uganda.