- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Segmenting Responsible Tourists by Motivation - Focusing on Domestic Tourism -
공정관광객의 방문 동기에 따른 시장세분화 - 국내 공정관광객을 대상으로 -
- Received : 2015.08.08
- Accepted : 2015.09.12
- Published : 2015.09.30
Since the Discussion on responsible tourism sector began in the 1980s, the interest in responsible tourism has increased. Responsible tourism aims to preserve the local culture and environment, and make the benefits return benefits to local stakeholders. This study aims to obtain an empirical understanding of the responsible tourism market by using a segmentation approach to provide better information for responsible tourism marketers in Korea. A self-administered survey was obtained from 471 tourists in seven responsible tourism sites. As for the motivations of responsible tourism, seven factors ('faimly togetherness', 'escape relaxation', 'personal growth', 'social interaction', 'various experience', 'learning' and 'natural experience') were extracted. Six distinct segments were identified based on the motivation: escape from daily life relaxation seekers (19.15%), overall low motivation (7.8%), family togetherness seekers (21.18%). various experience seekers (12.77%), noverlty learning seekers (22.46%) and want-it-all (16.55%). Socio-demographic characteristics and tourism behaviors of each segmentation were also analyzed. The findings should be of interest to practitioners of responsible tourism marketing and operation.
- 김경희, & 강성진. (2015). 공정관광 운영자의 인식과 공정관광 운영 현황 분석: 심층면접을 통한 영역분석을 중심으로. 농촌지도와 개발 , 22(1), 15-24.
- 김경희. (2014). 생태체험마을 방문동기에 따른 시장세분화. 농촌지도와 개발 , 21(3), 25-52.
- 김미경, & 이희찬. (2007). 농촌관광 시장세분화와 수요결정요인 연구. 관광학연구, 31(3), 153-170.
- 박덕병, & 김경희. (2011). 농촌관광에 있어서 관광동기와 만족이 충성도에 미치는 구조관계 분석. 한국지역사회생활과학회지, 22(2), 283-298.
- 박덕병, 김경희, & 윤유식. (2010). 농가민박 이용객의 여행 동기에 따른 세분시장과 방문객 선호에 따른 서비스품질 만족 차이 분석. 한국지역사회생활과학회지, 21(2), 163-177.
- 박덕병, 문선희, & 윤유식. (2010). 제주 농촌관광 방문객의 관광동기에 따른 시장세분화. 관광학연구, 34(4), 203-227.
- 윤유식, 양정임, & 장양례. (2013). 6차산업 농어촌관광마을 선택속성 세분시장에 따른 체험프로그램 선호도 및 행동의도 연구. 농촌지도와 개발, 20(3), 755-775.
- Beh, A., & Bruyere, B. L. (2007). Segmentation by visitor motivation in three Kenyan National Reserves. Tourism Management, 28(6), 1464-1471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2007.01.010
- Benson, A., & Seibert, N. (2009). Volunteer tourism: Motivations of German participations in South Africa. Annals of Leisure Research, 12(3-4), 295-314. https://doi.org/10.1080/11745398.2009.9686826
- Bieger, T., & Laesser, C. (2002). Market segmentation by motivation: The case of Switzerland. Journal of Travel Research, 41(1), 68-76. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728750204100110
- Boluk, K. A. (2011). Fair trade tourism South Africa: Consumer virtue or moral selving? Journal of Ecotourism, 10(3), 235-249. https://doi.org/10.1080/14724049.2011.617451
- Caruana, R., Glozer, S., Crane, A., & McCabe, S. (2014). Tourists' accounts of responsible tourism. Annals of Tourism Research, 46, 115-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2014.03.006
- Chan, J. K. L., & Baum, T. (2007). Motivation factors of ecotourists in ecolodge accommodation: The push and pull factors. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 12(4), 349-364. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941660701761027
- Cooper, C. P., & Ozdil, I. (1992). From mass to 'responsible' tourism: The Turkish experience. Tourism Management, 13(4), 377-386. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(92)90005-R
- Crompton, J. L. (1979). Motivations for pleasure vacation. Annal's of Tourism Research, 6(4), 408-424. https://doi.org/10.1016/0160-7383(79)90004-5
- Crompton, J. L., & McKay, S. L. (1997). Motives of visitors attending festival events. Annals of Tourism Research, 24(2), 425-439. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(97)80010-2
- Dolnicar, S. (2002). A review of data-driven market segmentation in tourism. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 12(1), 1-22.
- Fennell, D. A., & Malloy, D. C. (1999). Measuring the ethical nature of tourism operators. Annals of Tourism Research, 26(4), 928-943. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-7383(99)00032-8
- Formica, S., & Uysal, M. (1995). A market segmentation of festival visitors: Umbria jazz festival in Italy. Festival Management and Event Tourism, 3(4), 175-182. https://doi.org/10.3727/106527095792232523
- Frey, N., & George, R. (2010). Responsible tourism management: The missing link between business owners' attitudes and behaviour in the Cape town tourism industry. Tourism Management, 31(5), 621-628. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2009.06.017
- Hair J. F., Black, W. C., Babin, B. J., Anderson, R. E., & Tatham, R. L. (2006). Multivariate data analysis(6th Ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentice Hall.
- Hsieh, S., O'Leary, J. T., & Morrison, A. M. (1992). Segmenting the international travel market by activity. Tourism Management, 13(2), 209-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(92)90062-C
- Hsu, C. H. C., & Lee, E. (2002). Segmentation of senior Motorcoach travelers. Journal of Travel Research. 40, 364-373. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728750204000403
- Kamri, T., & Radam, A. (2013). Visitors' visiting motivation: Bako national park, Sarawak. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 101, 495-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.07.223
- Kerstetter, D. L., Hou, J. S., and Lin, C. H. (2004). Profiling Taiwanese ecotourists using a behavioral approach. Tourism Management, 25(4), 491-498. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(03)00119-5
- Kim, K. H., & Park, D. B. (2013). Segmenting green tea consumers by purchase motivation in South Korea. Journal of Agricultural & Food Information, 14(2), 164-183. https://doi.org/10.1080/10496505.2013.774205
- Kim, K. H., & Park, D. B. (2014). Factors influencing rural tourists' purchasing behaviour: Four types of direct farm markets in South Korea. Tourism Economics, 20(3), 629-645. https://doi.org/10.5367/te.2013.0305
- Kim, S. S., Lee, C. K., & Klenosky, D. B. (2003). The influence of push and pull factors at Korean national parks. Tourism Management, 24(2), 169-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0261-5177(02)00059-6
- Krippendorf, J. (1987). Ecological approach to tourism marketing. Tourism Management, 8(2), 174-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/0261-5177(87)90029-X
- Mahrouse, G. (2011). Feel-good tourism: An ethical option for socially-conscious westerners? An International E-Journal for Critical Geographies, 10(3), 372-391.
- Manente, M., Minghetti, V., & Mingotto, E. (2012). Ranking assessment systems for responsible tourism products and corporate social responsibility practices. Anatolia, 23(1), 75-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/13032917.2011.653633
- Mehmetoglu, M. (2007). Typologising nature-based tourists by activity: Theoretical and practical implications. Tourism Management, 28(3), 651-660. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2006.02.006
- Mody, M., Day, J., Sydnor, S., Jaffe, W., & Lehto, X. (2014). The different shades of responsibility: Examining domestic and international travelers' motivations for responsible tourism in India. Tourism Management Perspectives, 12, 113-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tmp.2014.09.008
- Oh, H. C., Uysal, M., & Weaver, P. A. (1995) Product bundles and market segments based on travel motivations: A canonical correlation approach. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 14(2), 123-137. https://doi.org/10.1016/0278-4319(95)00010-A
- Ooi, N., & Laing, J. H. (2010). Backpacker tourism: Sustainable and purposeful? investigating the overlap between backpacker tourism and volunteer tourism motivations. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 18(2), 191-206. https://doi.org/10.1080/09669580903395030
- Park, D. B., & Yoon, Y. S. (2009) Segmentation by motivation in rural tourism : A Korean case study. Tourism Management, 30(1), 99-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2008.03.011
- Pearce, P. L., & Lee, U. I. (2005). Developing the travel career approach to tourist motivation. Journal of Travel Research, 43, 226-237. https://doi.org/10.1177/0047287504272020
- Perera, P., Vlosky, R. P., & Wahala, S. B. (2012). Motivational and behavioral profiling of visitors to forest-based recreational destinations in Sri Lanka. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, 17(4), 451-467. https://doi.org/10.1080/10941665.2011.627353
- Rid, W., Ezeuduji, I. O., & Pröbstl-Haider, U. (2014). Segmentation by motivation for rural tourism activities in the Gambia. Tourism Management, 40, 102-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2013.05.006
- Sin, H. L. (2010). Who are we responsible to? locals' tales of volunteer tourism. Geoforum, 41, 983-992. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoforum.2010.08.007
- Uysal, M., Gahan, L., & Martin, B. S. (1993). An examination of event motivations: A case study. Festival Management & Event Tourism, 1(1), 5-10.
- World Tourism Market Responsible Tourism. (2013). About WTM responsible tourism. from WTM Website: http://www.wtmresponsibletourism.com
- Yoon, Y. S., & Uysal, M. (2005). An examination of effects of motivation and satisfaction on destination loyalty: A structural model. Tourism Management, 26(1), 45-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tourman.2003.08.016
- Determinants of Re-participation for Rural Responsible Tourism vol.27, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2016.27.1.67
Supported by : 국립농업과학원