- Volume 9 Issue 5
To investigate the seismic pounding response of long-span bridges with high-piers under strong ground motions, shaking table tests were performed on a 1/10-scaled bridge model consisting of three continuous spans with rigid frames and one simply-supported span. The seismic pounding responses of this bridge model under different earthquake excitations including the uniform excitation and the traveling wave excitations were experimentally studied. The influence of dampers to the seismic pounding effects at the expansion joints was analyzed through nonlinear dynamic analyses in this research. The seismic pounding effects obtained from numerical analyses of the bridge model are in favorable agreement with the experimental results. Seismic pounding effect of bridge superstructures is dependent on the structural dynamic properties of the adjacent spans and characteristics of ground motions. Moreover, supplemental damping can effectively mitigate pounding effects of the bridge superstructures, and reduce the base shear forces of the bridge piers.
seismic pounding;isolation device;traveling wave excitation;shaking table test;nonlinear analysis
- Chauk, T. and Wei, X.X. (2001), "Pounding of structures modeled as non-linear impacts of two oscillators", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30(5), 633-651. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.27
- Cole, G., Dhakal, R., Carr, A. and Bull, D. (2011), "An investigation of the effects of mass distribution on pounding structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 40(6), 641-659. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1052
- Han, Q., Du, X., Liu, J., Li, Z., Li, L. and Zhao, J. (2009), "Seismic damage of highway bridges during the 2008 Wenchuan earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 8(2), 263-273. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-009-8162-0
- Han, Q., Du, X.L., Zhou, Y.H. and Lee, G.C. (2013), "Experimental study of hollow rectangular bridge column performance under vertical and cyclically bilateral loads", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 12(3), 433-445. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-013-0184-y
- Han, Q., Zhou, Y., Du, X., Huang, C. and Lee, G.C. (2014), "Experimental and numerical studies on seismic performance of hollow RC bridge columns", Earthq. Struct., 7(3), 251-269. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.3.251
- Jankowski, R., Wilde, K. and Fujino, Y. (1998), "Pounding of superstructure segments is isolated elevated bridge during earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 27(5), 487-502. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199805)27:5<487::AID-EQE738>3.0.CO;2-M
- Jankowski, R. (2005), "Non-linear viscoelastic modelling of earthquake-induced structural pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(6), 595-611. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.434
- Jankowski, R., Wilde, K. and Fujino, Y. (2002), "Pounding of superstructure segments in isolated elevated bridge during earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 27(5), 487-502.
- Jankowski, R., Wilde, K. and Fujino, Y. (2000), "Reduction of pounding effects in elevated bridges during earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29(2), 195-212. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(200002)29:2<195::AID-EQE897>3.0.CO;2-3
- Khoei, A.R., DorMohammadi, H. and Azami, A.R. (2007), "A three-invariant cap plasticity model with kinematic hardening rule for powder materials", J. Mater. Proc. Technol., 187, 680-684.
- Li, Z.X., Zhang, Y. and Yue, F.Q. (2007), "Shaking table test on pounding responses of simply supported isolated bridges under earthquake excitation", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Dyn., 27(2), 152-157.
- Maison, B.F. and Kasai, K. (1990), "Analysis for type of structural pounding", J. Struct. Eng., 116(4), 957-977. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:4(957)
- Maison, B.F. and Kasai, K. (1992), "Dynamics of pounding when two buildings collide", Earthq. Eng.Struct. Dyn., 21(9), 771-786. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210903
- Marhefka, D.W. and Orin, D.E. (1999), "A compliant contact model with nonlinear damping for simulation of robotic systems", IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part A: Systems and Humans, 29(6), 566-572.
- Mahendra, P.S., Navin, P.V. and Luis, M.M. (2003), "Seismic analysis and design with maxwell dampers", J. Eng. Mech., 129(3), 273-282. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2003)129:3(273)
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Muthukumar, S. and Reginald, D. (2006), "A Hertz contact model with non-linear damping for pounding simulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(7), 811-828. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.557
- Nicos, M. and Constantinou, M.C. (1991), "Fractional-derivative maxwell model for viscous dampers", J. Struct. Eng., 117(9), 2708-2724. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:9(2708)
- Pantelides, P.C. and Ma, X. (1998), "Linear and nonlinear pounding of structural systems", Comput. Struct., 66(1), 79-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(97)00045-X
- Reginald, D. and Susendar, M. (2002), "Effect of pounding and restrainers on seismic response of multiple-frame bridges", J. Struct. Eng., 128(7), 860-869. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:7(860)
- Ruangrassamee, A. and Kawashima, K. (2001), "Relative displacement response spectra with pounding effect", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 30(10), 1511-1538. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.75
- Wang, D.S., Feng, Q.M. and Wang, G.X. (2004), "Analysis model of pounding between adjacent bridge girders during earthquakes based on collinear impact between rods", Eng. Mech., 21(2), 157-166.
- Wang, J.W., Li, J.Z. and Fan, L.C. (2006), "Effect of pounding at expansion joints on seismic response of irregular girder bridges", China Civ. Eng. J., 39, 54-59.
- Zanardo, G., Hao, H. and Modena, C. (2002), "Seismic response of multi-span simply supported bridges to a spatially varying earthquake ground motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(6), 1325-1345. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.166
- Zhu, P. (2001), "Seismic analysis serviceability evaluation of elevated bridge based on 3D modeling with pounding effects of girders", The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Contribution of local site-effect on the seismic response of suspension bridges to spatially varying ground motions vol.10, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.5.1233
- Effect of pounding on nonlinear seismic response of skewed highway bridges vol.103, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soildyn.2017.09.008