- Volume 9 Issue 5
The study considers earthquake shake table testing of bending-torsion coupled structures under multi-component stationary random earthquake excitations. An experimental procedure to arrive at the optimal excitation cross-power spectral density (psd) functions which maximize/minimize the steady state variance of a chosen response variable is proposed. These optimal functions are shown to be derivable in terms of a set of system frequency response functions which could be measured experimentally without necessitating an idealized mathematical model to be postulated for the structure under study. The relationship between these optimized cross-psd functions to the most favourable/least favourable angle of incidence of seismic waves on the structure is noted. The optimal functions are also shown to be system dependent, mathematically the sharpest, and correspond to neither fully correlated motions nor independent motions. The proposed experimental procedure is demonstrated through shake table studies on two laboratory scale building frame models.
random vibration;multi-component earthquake support motion;critical excitation models;shake table testing
- Gonzalez, J.V., Schroeder, M.O. and Martinez, J.D. (2015), "Combination rule for critical structural response in soft soil", Eng. Struct., 82, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.10.027
- IEEE-344 (2013), IEEE Standards, IEEE Recommended Practices for Seismic Qualification of Class 1E Equipment for Nuclear Power Generating Stations, New York.
- Jaiswal, K. and Sinha, R. (2007), "Spatial variation of maximum considered and design basis earthquakes in peninsular India", Curr. Sci., 92(5), 639-645.
- Kiureghian, A.D. and Nakamura, Y. (1993), "CQC modal combination rule for high-frequency modes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 22(11), 943-956. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290221103
- Kubo, T. and Penzien, J. (1979), "Analysis of three-dimensional strong ground motions along principal axes, San Fernando earthquake", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 7(3), 265-278. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290070306
- Lopez, O.A. and Rorres, R. (1997), "The critical angle of seismic incidence and the maximum structural response", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 26(9), 881-894. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199709)26:9<881::AID-EQE674>3.0.CO;2-R
- Lopez, O.A., Chopra, A.K. and Hernandez, J.J. (2000), "Critical response of structures to multicomponent earthquake excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 29(12), 1759-1778. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200012)29:12<1759::AID-EQE984>3.0.CO;2-K
- McConnel, K.G. (1995), Vibration testing: Theory and Practice, John Wiley, New York.
- Menun, C. and Kiureghian, A.D. (1998), "A replacement for the 30%, 40%, and SRSS rules for multicomponent seismic analysis", Earthq. Spectra, 14 (1), 153-163. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585993
- Menun, C. and Kiureghian, A.D. (2000), "Envelopes for seismic response vectors. I: Theory", J. Struct. Eng., 126(4), 467-473. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:4(467)
- Nigam, N.C. and Narayanan, S. (1994), Applications of random vibrations, Narosa publishers, New Delhi.
- Papoulis, A. and Pillai, S.U. (2002), Probability, random variables and stochastic processes, Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi.
- Reyes-Salazar, A., Lopez-Barraza, A., Lopez-Lopez A. and Haldar, A. (2008), "Multi-component seismic response analysis - a critical review", J. Earthq. Eng., (12), 779-799.
- Rezaeian, S. and Kiureghian, A.D. (2012), "Simulation of orthogonal horizontal ground motion components for specified earthquake and site characteristics", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41, 335-353. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1132
- Sarkar, A. and Manohar, C.S. (1996), "Critical cross power spectral density functions and the highest response of multi-supported structures subjected multi-component earthquake excitations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 25(3), 303-315. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199603)25:3<303::AID-EQE559>3.0.CO;2-P
- Sarkar, A. and Manohar, C.S. (1998), "Critical seismic vector random excitations for multiply supported structures", J. Sound Vib., 212(3), 525-546. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1997.1460
- Takewaki, I. (2002), "Seismic critical excitation method for robust design: A review", J. Struct. Eng., 128(5), 665-672. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2002)128:5(665)
- Takewaki, I. (2013), Critical excitation methods in earthquake engineering, Elsevier, New York, USA.
- Abbas, A.M. and Manohar, C.S. (2007), "Reliability-based vector nonstationary random critical earthquake excitations for parametrically excited systems", Struct. Saf., 29(1), 32-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strusafe.2005.11.003
- Ammanagi, S. and Manohar, C.S. (2015), "Optimal cross-spectrum of road loads on vehicles: theory and experiments", J. Vib. Control, doi: 10.1177/1077546315570107. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546315570107
- Athanatopoulou, A.M. (2005), "Critical orientation of three correlated seismic components", Eng. Struct., 27(2), 301-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.10.011
- Bendat, J.S. (1998), Nonlinear systems techniques and applications, Wiley, New York.
- Bendat, J.S. and Piersol, A.G. (2010), Random Data: Analysis and Measurement Procedures, Wiley-Blackwell, New York.
- Clough, R.W. and Penzien, J. (1993), Dynamics of Structures, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Ewins, D.J. (2000), Modal Testing, Theory, Practice, and Application, Research Studies Press, Taunton.
- Fujita, K., Yoshitomi, S., Tsuji, M. and Takewaki I., (2008), "Critical cross-correlation function of horizontal and vertical ground motions for uplift of rigid block", Eng. Struct., 30 (5), 1199-1213. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.017
- Torbol, M. and Shinozuka, M. (2012), "Effect of the angle of seismic incidence on the fragility curves of bridges", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 41(14), 2111-2124. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2197
- Worden, K. and Tomlinson, G.R. (2001), Nonlinearity in structural dynamics, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol.