- Volume 37 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Formation Characteristics and Control of Disinfection Byproducts in a Drinking Water Treatment Plant Using Lake Water
호소수를 원수로 사용하는 정수장의 소독부산물 생성 특성 및 제어 방안
- Received : 2015.03.24
- Accepted : 2015.05.15
- Published : 2015.05.31
This study investigated the influence of characteristics of natural organic matter (NOM) on the formation of disinfection by-products (DBPs), and proposed the control strategies of DBPs formation in a drinking water treatment plant using lake water in Gyeongsangbuk-do. The fluorescence excitation-emission matrix analysis results revealed that the origins of NOM in raw waters to the plant were a mixture of terrestrial and microbial sources. Molecular size distributions and removals of NOM fractions were evaluated with a liquid chromatography-organic carbon detector (LC-OCD) analysis. Humic substances and low molecular weight organics were dominant fractions of NOM in the raw water. High molecular weight organics were relatively easier to remove through coagulation/precipitation than low molecular weight organics. The concentrations of DBPs formed by pre-chlorination increased through the treatment processes in regular sequence due to longer reaction time. Chloroform (74%) accounts for the largest part of trihalomethanes, followed by bromodichloromethane (22%) and dibromochloromethane (4%). Dichloroacetic acid (50%) and trichloroacetic acid (48%) were dominant species of haloacetic acids, and brominated species such as dibromoacetic acid (2%) were minimal or none. Dichloroacetonitrile (60%) accounts for the largest part of haloacetonitriles, followed by bromochloroacetonitrile (30%) and dibromoacetonitrile (10%). The formation of DBPs were reduced by 16~44% as dosages of pre-chlorine decreased. Dosages of pre-chlorine was more contributing to DBPs formation than variations of dissolved organic contents or water temperature.
Disinfection By-products;Natural Organic Matter;Trihalomethanes;Haloacetic Acids;Haloacetonitriles
- Son, H. J., Jeong, C. W. and Kang, L. S., "The relationship between disinfection by-product formation and characteristics of natural organic matter in the raw water for drinking water," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 26(4), 457-466(2004).
- Krasner, S. W., Weinberg, H. S., Richardson, S. D., Pastor, S. J., Chinn, R., Sclimenti, M. J., Onstad, G. D. and Thruston, A. D., "Occurrence of a new generation of disinfection byproducts," Environ. Sci. Technol., 40, 7175-7185(2006). https://doi.org/10.1021/es060353j
- Yang, X., Shang, C., Lee, W. T., Westerhoff, P. and Fan, C., "Correlations between organic matter properties and DBPs formation during chloramination," Water Res., 42, 2329-2339(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2007.12.021
- Kim, J. K., Jeong, S. G., Shin, C. S. and Cho, H. J., "Characteristics of disinfection by-products formation in Korea," J. Korean Soc. Water Waste., 19(3), 301-311(2005).
- Chang, H. S., Lee, D. W., Kim, C. M., Lee, I. S. and Park, H., "Characteristics of disinfected byproducts in tap water of Seoul," J. Inst. Ind. Technol., 12, 97-102(2004).
- Zhang, Q., Kuang, W. F., Liu, L. Y., Li, K., Wong, K. H., Chow, A. T. and Wong, P. K., "Trihalomethane, haloacetonitrile, and chloral hydrate formation potentials of organic carbon fractions from sub-tropical forest soils," J. Hazard. Mater., 172, 880-887(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.07.068
- Zhao, Z. Y., Gu, J. D., Fan, X. J. and Li, H. B., "Molecular size distribution of dissolved organic matter in water of the Pearl River and trihalomethane formation characteristics with chlorine and chlorine dioxide treatment," J. Hazard. Mater. B, 134, 60-66(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2005.10.032
- Kim, H. C. and Yu, M. J., "Characterization of natural organic matter in conventional water treatment processes for selection of treatment processes focused on DBPs control," Water Res., 39, 4779-4789(2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2005.09.021
Lin, H. C. and Wang, G. S., "Effects of
$UV/H_2O_2$on NOM fractionation and corresponding DBPs formation," Desalination, 270, 221-226(2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2010.11.049
Sarathy, S. and Mohseni, M., "The impact of
$UV/H_2O_2$advanced oxidation on molecular size distribution of chromophoric natural organic matter," Environ. Sci. Technol., 41, 8315-8320(2007). https://doi.org/10.1021/es071602m
- Lim, S. M., Chiang, K., Amal, R., Fabris, R., Chow, C. and Drikas, M., "A study on the removal of humic acid using advanced oxidation processes," Sep. Sci. Technol., 42, 1391-1404(2007). https://doi.org/10.1080/01496390701289799
- Kim, S. J., Kim, J. M., Jeon, Y. T., Park, J. E. and Won, C. H., "The characterisitcs of disinfection by-products occurrence and speciation in D water treatment processes," J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 26(3), 406-412(2010).
- Henderson, P. K., Baker, A., Murphy, K. R., Hambly, A., Stuetz, R. M. and Khan, S. J., "Fluorescnce as a potential monitoring tool for recycled water systems: a review," Water Res., 43(4), 863-881(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.11.027
- Choi, I. H. and Jung, Y. J., "Molecular size distributions of NOM in conventional and advanced water treatment processes," J. Korean Soc. Water Qual., 24(6), 682-689(2008).
- Huber, S. A., Balz, A., Abert, M. and Pronk, W., "Characterisation of aquatic humic and non-humic matter with sizeexclusion chromatography-organic carbon detection-organic nitrogen detection (LC-OCD-OND)," Water Res., 45, 879-885(2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2010.09.023
- Coble, P. G., "Characterization of marine and terrestrial DOM in seawater using excitation-emission matrix spectroscopy," Mar. Chem., 51, 325-346(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4203(95)00062-3
- McKnight, D. M., Boyer, E. W., Westerhoff, P. K., Doran, P. T., Kulbe, T. and Andersen, D. T., "Spectrofluorometric characterization of dissolved organic matter for indication of precursor organic material and aromaticity," Limnol. Oceanogr., 46, 38-48(2001). https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.2001.46.1.0038
- Huguet, A., Vacher, L., Relexans, S., Saubusse, S., Froidefond, J. M. and Parlanti, E., "Properties of fluorescent dissolved organic matter in the Gironde Estuary," Org. Geochem., 40, 706-719(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.orggeochem.2009.03.002
- Zsolnay, A., Baigar, E., Jimenez, M., Steinweg, B. and Saccomandi, F., "Differentiating with fluorescence spectroscopy the sources of dissolved organic matter in soils subjected to drying," Chemosphere, 38, 45-50(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(98)00166-0
- Birdwell, J. E. and Valsaraj, K. T., "Characterization of dissolved organic matter in fogwater by excitation-emission matrix fluorescence spectroscopy," Atmos. Environ., 44, 3246-3253(2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2010.05.055
- Hunt, J. F. and Ohno, T., "Characterization of fresh and decomposed dissolved organic matter using excitation-emmision matrix fluorescence spectroscopy and multiway analysis," J. Agric. Food Chem., 55, 2121-2128(2007). https://doi.org/10.1021/jf063336m
- Ates, N., Kitis, M. and Yetis, U., "Formation of chlorination by-products in waters with low SUVA-correlations with SUVA and differential UV spectroscopy," Water Res., 41, 4139-4148(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2007.05.042
- Kaplan Bekaroglu, S.S., Yigit, N.O., Karanfil, T. and Kitis, M., "The adsorptive removal of disinfection by-product precursors in a high-SUVA water using iron oxide-coated pumice and volcanic slag particles," J. Hazard. Mater., 183, 389-394(2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.07.037
- Kim, J. K. and Kang, B. S., "DBPs removal in GAC filteradsorber," Water Res., 42, 145-152(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2007.07.040
- Zhou, H. and Xie, Y., "Using BAC for HAA removal. Part 1: batch study," J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 94(4), 194-200(2002).
- Baribeau, H., Krasner, S. W., Chinn, R. and Singer, P. C., "Impact of biomass on the stability of HAAs and THMs in a simulated distribution system," J. Am. Water Works Assoc., 97(2), 69-81(2005).
- Xue, C., Wang, Q., Chu, W. and Templeton, M. R., "The impact of changes in source water quality on trihalomethane and haloacetonitrile formation in chlorinated drinking water," Chemosphere, 117, 251-255(2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.06.083
- Bull, R. J., Krasner, S. W., Daniel, P. A. and Bull, R. D., "Health Effects and Occurrence of Disinfection Byproducts," American Water Works Association Research Foundation, Denver, Colorado(2001).
- Plewa, M. J. and Wagner, E. D., "Quantitative Comparative Mammalian Cell Cytotoxicity and Genotoxicity of Selected Classes of Drinking Water Disinfection By-products," Water Research Foundation, Denver, Colorado(2009).
- Gould, J. P., Fitchorn, L. E. and Urheim, E., "Formation of brominated trihalomethanes: extent and kinetics," In: Jolly, R. L. (Eds.), Water Chlorination: Environmental Impact and Health Effects, Ann Arbor Sci. Publ., Ann Arbor, Mich (1983).
- Obolensky, A. and Singer, P. C., "Halogen substitution patterns among disinfection byproducts in the information collection rule database," Environ. Sci. Technol., 39, 2719-2730(2005). https://doi.org/10.1021/es0489339
- Effects of pH, Water Temperature and Chlorine Dosage on the Formation of Disinfection Byproducts at Water Treatment Plant vol.37, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2015.37.9.505
- Study on characteristics of specific hazardous substances in the industrial wastewater effluent vol.29, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5806/AST.2016.29.3.114
- Reduction of Suspended Solids in First Flush from a Building Rooftop using Various Media vol.39, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2017.39.4.214
- Effects of Water Temperature and pH on Water Quality Improvement by a Mixture of Beneficial Microorganisms vol.40, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2018.40.1.1
- Formation characteristics of carbonaceous and nitrogenous disinfection by-products depending on residual organic compounds by CGS and DAF pp.1614-7499, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-018-2919-9
- Effect of Underwater Plasma Discharge on the Chemical Regeneration of Spent Granular Activated Carbon vol.40, pp.11, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2018.40.11.458
Grant : 먹는 물 중의 미량오염물질 제어 및 모니터링 연구
Supported by : 한국연구재단, 중소기업청