- Volume 37 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Reduction of PCBs in Contaminated Marine Sediments by Using Fenton-like Reaction with Surfactants
유사-펜톤 반응과 계면활성제에 의한 해양퇴적물의 PCBs 정화
- Choi, Jin Young (Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Kyoungrean (Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology)
- Received : 2015.05.22
- Accepted : 2015.06.24
- Published : 2015.06.30
Removal efficiency of PCBs in contaminated marine sediments treated by Fenton-like oxidation combined with surfactant was investigated in this research in order to achieve remediation of PCBs. A washing treatment using various concentrations of hydrogen peroxide (1% and 15%) and surfactants (Triton X-100, Tween 60 and Tween 80) was evaluated at various conditions in laboratory scale experiments. The mean removal efficiencies of tPCBs varied from 24.1 to 46.7% in the sediments for 1 hour duration of the treatments. The concentration of tPCBs in contaminated marine sediments after the simultaneous treatment with hydrogen peroxide and surfactant satisfied the domestic environmental standards for the beneficial use of sediments. When suitable surfactant was used for Fenton-like oxidation, the removal efficiency of tPCBs at low concentration of hydrogen peroxide was similar to that at high hydrogen peroxide concentration. Thus the efficient removal of PCBs in contaminated marine sediments could be achieved through treatment with Fenton-like oxidation combined with surfactant washing.
Fenton-like Reaction;Non-Ionic Surfactants;Polychlorinated Bipenyls;Marine Sediments;Remediation
Supported by : 한국해양과학기술진흥원
- Ruthel, R. A., Liesel, M. S. and Julia, G. B., "PCB-containing wood floor finish is a likely source of elevated PCBs in resident's blood, household air and dust: a case study of exposure," Environ. Health, 7, 2(2008). https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-069X-7-2
- Jones, K. C. and De Voogt, P., "Persistent organic pollutants (POPs): state of the science," Environ. Pollut., 100(l), 209-221(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(99)00098-6
- Choi, J. Y., Yang, D. B. and Hong, G. H., "Bioaccumulation of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organochlorine pesticides in manila Clams (Ruditapes philippinarum) collected from the mid-western coast of korea," Ocean. Polar. Res., 32(3), 237-245(2010). https://doi.org/10.4217/OPR.2010.32.3.237
- Magnusson, K., Ekelund, R., Grabic, R. and Bergqvist, P. A., "Bioaccumulation of PCB congeners in marine benthic infauna," Mar. Environ. Res., 61, 379-395(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marenvres.2005.11.004
- Hutchinson, T. H., Field, M. D. R. and Manning, M. J., "Evaluation of non-specic immune functions in dab, Limanda limanda L., following short-term exposure to sediments contaminated with polyaromatic hydrocarbons and/or polychlorinated biphenyls," Mar. Environ. Res., 55(3), 193-202(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-1136(02)00214-3
- Choi, J. Y., Yang, D. B., Hong, G. H., Kim, S. H., Chung, C. S., Kim, K. R. and Cho, K. D., "Potential human risk assessment of PCBs and OCPs in edible fish collected from the offshore of Busan," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 34(12), 810-820(2012). https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2012.34.12.810
- Chung, S. W., Ahn, Y. J. and Lee, B. J., Soil Remediation Technology, 2nd ed, Donghwa technology publishing, pp. 1-309(2009).
- So, M. H., Ha, J. Y., Yu, J. B. and Kim, C. G., "Fenton-like reaction for treatment of petroleum-contaminated silty clay after soil washing process," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 31(1), 1-8(2009).
- Kim, S. H., Hong, G. H. and Lee, Y. K., Development of national framework on survey, cleanup and remediation of marine contaminated sediment (II), KIOST, p. 656(2005).
- Kim, S. H., Hong, G. H. and Lee, Y. K., Development of national framework on survey, cleanup and remediation of marine contaminated sediment (III), KIOST, p.1128(2005).
- Fenton, H. J. H., "Oxidation of tartaric acid in presence of iron," J. Chem. Soc., 65, 899-910(1984).
- Watts, R. J., Kong, S. H., Dippre, M. and Barnes, W. T., "Oxidaion of sorbed hexachlorobenzene in soils using catalyzed hydrogen peroxide," J. Hazard. Mater., 39, 33-47(1994). https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3894(94)00055-7
- Haag, W. R. and Yao, C. D. D., "Rate constants for reaction of hydroxyl radicals with several drinking water contaminants," Environ. Sci. Technol., 27, 1005-1013(1992).
- Ministry of Environment, The guideline of remediation for contaminated soils, Soil and underground water dept., Shinsung publishing company, p. 2I5(2007).
- Davydov, V. A., Rakhmanina, A. V., Agafonov, V., Narymbetov, B., Boudou, J. and Szwarc, H., "Conversion of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to graphite and diamond at high pressure," Carbon, 42, 261-269(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2003.10.026
- Erickson, M. D., Analytical Chemistry of PCBs. 2nd ed, Lewis publishers, p. 667(1997).
- Walling, C., "Fenton's reagent revisited," Acc. Chem. Res., 8(4), 125-131(1975). https://doi.org/10.1021/ar50088a003
- Bae, J. S., Kim, J. H., Choi, J. H., Kalu, I. E., Kim, S. G. and Koh, S. C., "Efficient Remediation of Petroleum Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Soils through Sequential Fenton Oxidation and Biological Treatment Processes," Korean J. Microbiol., 47(4), 356-363(2011).
- Folk, R. L., "The Distinction between Grain Size and Mineral Composition in Sedimentary-Rock Nomenclature," J. Geol., 62(4), 344-359(1954). https://doi.org/10.1086/626171
- Hedges, J. I. and Stem, J. H., "Carbon and nitrogen determinations of carbonate-containing solids," Limnol. Oceanogr., 29(3), 657-663(1984). https://doi.org/10.4319/lo.1984.29.3.0657
- Laurestein, G. G. and Cantillo, A. Y., "Sampling and analytical methods of the national status and trends program, national benthic surveillance and mussel watch projects 1984-1992," NOAA Tech. Memorandum NOS ORCA, 71, 182 (1993).
- Howell, N. L., Suarez, M. P., Rifai, H. S. and Koening, L., "Concentrations of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) in water, sediment, and aquatic biota in the Houston Ship Channel, Texas," Chemosphere, 70, 593-606(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2007.07.031
- Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Regulations on the investigation and the range for purification and restoration of the contaminated marine sediment Notification 2013-206(Aug. 30, 2013).
- Ministry of Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, Regulations on the effective utilization standards for dredged sediment Notification 2013-220(Sep. 10, 2013).
- Kong, S. H., Watts, R. J. and Choi, J. H., "Treatment of petroleum-contaminated soils using iron mineral catalyzed hydrogen peroxide," Chemosphere, 37(8), 1473-1482(1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-6535(98)00137-4
- Miller, C. M., Valentine, R. L., Roehl, M. E. and Alvarez, P. J. J., "Chemical and microbiological assessment of pendimethalin-contaminated soil after treatment with fenton's reagent," Water Res., 30(11), 2579-2586(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(96)00151-0
Vella, P. and Murder, J., Uses of
$KMnO_4$, $H_2O_2$and $C1O_2$in wastewater applications in the nineties. ed: Eckenfelder, A. Bowers and J. Roth. Nashville, Ten. Pub., Technomic Pub., Lancaster PA., pp. 222-238(1993).
- Yan, Y. E. and Schwartz, F. W., "Oxidative degradation and kinetics of chlorinated ethylenes by potassium permanganate," J. Contam. Hydro., 37, 343-365(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-7722(98)00166-1
- Damm, J. H., Hardacre, C., Kalin, R. M. and Walsh, K. P., "Kinetics of the oxidation of methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE) by potassium permanganate," Water. Res., 36, 3638-3646(2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(02)00057-X
- Clayton, W., Marvin, B. K., Pac, T. and Mott-Smith, E., A multisite field performance evaluation of in-situ chemical oxidation using permanganate, Wickramanayake, G. B., Gavaskar, A. R. and Chen, S. C. (Eds.). in Proceedings Chemical oxidation and reactive barriers: remediation of chlorinated and recalcitrant compounds. Second International Conference of J. H., pp. 101-108(2000).
- Rosas, J. M., Vicente, F., Santos, A. and Romero, A., "Soil remediation using soil washing followed by Fenton oxidation," Chem. Eng. J., 220, 125-132(2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2012.11.137
- Choi, S. J., Choi, H. J., Park, J. H. and Lee, T. J., "Treatment of diesel-contaminated soil using fenton-like reaction and the influence of residual hydrogen peroxide on biological treatment," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 26(3), 334-339(2004).
- Gong, A., Wilke, B. M., Alef, K., Li, P. and Zhou, Q., "Removal of polycyclic hydrocarbons from manufactured gas plant-contaminated soils using sunflower oil: laboratory column experiments," Chemosphere, 62, 780-787(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2005.04.078
- Polychlorinated biphenyls-contaminated soil washing with mixed surfactants enhanced by electrokinetics vol.32, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40242-016-5369-2
- Mobility of silver nanoparticles (AgNPs) and oxidative degradation of endocrine disrupting chemicals by saturated column experiments vol.32, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2018.32.6.499