- Volume 37 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Concentration Distribution of Volatile Organic Compounds in the Ambient Air of an Industrial Shipbuilding Complex : A Case Study
조선소 밀집지역의 휘발성유기화합물 농도분포 특성에 관한 사례 연구
- Received : 2014.12.29
- Accepted : 2015.06.26
- Published : 2015.06.30
In this study, the spatial and temporal distribution of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in an industrial shipbuilding complex was monitored, and the local characteristics estimated. The major VOC component measured at all of the sampling sites were almost the same as those found at an indoor painting facility, indicating that painting works conducted in the shipyards were a significant source of VOCs in the vicinity of shipbuilding areas. The main parameters affecting the VOCs distribution were the distance between the sampling site and painting work place, and the intensity of the painting works. A quite broad range of VOC concentrations were observed in all of the sampling sites, depending on the intensity of painting works in nearby areas suppressing the typical seasonal and temporal variation trends in VOCs observed in urban areas.
Industrial Shipbuilding Complex;Volatile Organic Compounds;Concentration Distribution;Local Characteristics
- Lee, J. W. and Kim, H., "Shipbuilding 2013 Outlook," Sector Report, Tongyang Securities Inc.(2012).
- Celebi, U. B. and Vardar, N., "Investigation of VOC emissions from indoor and outdoor painting processes in shipyards," Atmos. Environ., 42(22), 5685-5695(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2008.03.003
- Chen, C. F., Kao, C. M., Dong, C. D. and Chen, C. W., "Butyltin contamination in sediments and seawater from Kaohsiung Harbor, Taiwan," Environ. Monit. Assess., 169(1-4), 75-87(2009).
- Chiu, S. W., Ho, K. M., Chan, S. S., So, O. M. and Lai, K. H., "Characterization of contamination in and toxicities of a shipyard area in Hong Kong," Environ. Pollut., 142(3), 512-520(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2005.10.038
- Choi, M., Choi, H. G., Moon, H. B. and Kim, G. Y., "Spatial and temporal distribution of tributyltin (TBT) in seawater, sediments and bivalves from coastal areas in Korea during 2001-2005," Environ. Monit. Assess., 151(1-4), 301-310(2009). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-008-0271-0
- Chung, J. W. and Lee, M.-E., "Effect of medium and small scale shipyard operations on environmental pollutions related with civil appeal," J. Korean Soc. Environ. Eng., 30(10), 1006-1012(2008).
- Chung, J. W., Lee, M. E. and Lee, H. D.,"Characteristics of environmental pollution related with public complaints in an industrial shipbuilding complex, Korea," Environ. Monit. Assess., 177(1-4), 73-84(2011). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-010-1619-9
- Chung, J. W., Lee, M. E., Kang, S. T. and Bolan, N. S., "Concentration distribution of carbonyl compounds in an industrial shipbuilding complex," KSCE J. Civ. Eng., 18(4), 927-932(2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-013-1360-3
- Malherbe, L. and Mandin, C., "VOC emissions during outdoor ship painting and health-risk assessment," Atmos. Environ., 41(30), 6322-6330(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.02.018
- Chung, J. W. and Lee, M.-E., "Case study of hazardous air pollutant concentrations in residential areas nearby small and medium scale shipbuilding companies," J. Environ. Sci. Int., 18(5), 517-525(2009). https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2009.18.5.517
- Sweet, C. W. and Vermette, S. J., "Toxic volatile organic compounds in urban air in Illnois," Environ. Sci. Technol., 26(1), 165-173(1992). https://doi.org/10.1021/es00025a020
- Kostiainen, R., "Volatile organic compounds in the indoor air of normal and sick houses," Atmos. Environ., 29(6), 693-702(1995). https://doi.org/10.1016/1352-2310(94)00309-9
- Mukund, R., Kelly, T. J. and Spicer, C. W., "Source attribution of ambient air toxic and other VOCs in Columbus, Ohio," Atmos. Environ., 30(20), 3457-3470(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/1352-2310(95)00487-4
- Carter, W. P. L., "Development of ozone reactivity scales for volatile organic compounds," J. Air and Waste Manage. Assoc., 44, 881-899(1994).
- Finlayson-Pitts, B. J. and Pitts, J. N., "Tropospheric air pollution: ozone, airborne toxics, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and particles," Science, 276(5315), 1045-1051(1997). https://doi.org/10.1126/science.276.5315.1045
- EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency), "Compendium method TO-14A-the determination of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) in ambient air using specially prepared canisters with subsequent analysis by gas chromatography," (1999).
- Kawashima, H., Minami, S., Hanai, Y. and Fushimi, A., "Volatile organic compound emission factors from roadside measurements," Atmos. Environ., 40(13), 2301-2312(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2005.11.044
- Perez-Rial, D., Lopez-Mahia, P., Muniategui-Lorenzo, S. and Prada-Rodriguez, D., "Temporal distribution, behavior and reactivities of BTEX compounds in a suburban Atlantic area during a year," J. Environ. Monitor., 11, 1216-1225(2009). https://doi.org/10.1039/b819370c