- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Pollutant Load Characterization with Flow Conditions in Heukcheon Stream
흑천의 유량조건별 오염부하량 특성
Choi, Kyungwan;Lee, Sangwon;Noh, Changwan;Lee, Jaekwan;Lee, Youngjoon
- Received : 2015.06.16
- Accepted : 2015.09.30
- Published : 2015.10.15
The TMDL (Total Maximum Daily Load) has been used to determine the water quality target. LDC (Load Duration Curve) based on hydrology has been used to support water quality assessments and development of TMDL. Also FDC (Flow Duration Curve) analysis can be used as a general indicator of hydrologic condition. The LDC is developed by multiplying FDC with the numeric water quality target of the factor for the pollutant of concern. Therefore, this study was to create LDC using the stream flow data and numeric water quality target of BOD and T-P in order to evaluate the pollutant load characterization by flow conditions in Heukcheon stream. When it is to be a high-flows condition, BOD and T-P are necessary to manage. BOD and T-P did not satisfy the numeric water quality target for both seasons (spring and summer). In order to meet the numeric water quality target in Heukcheon stream, management of non point source pollutant is much more important than that of point source pollutant control.
TMDL;numeric water quality target;LDC;FDC;Heukcheon stream
- Cleland, B. R. (2003). TMDL Development from the "Bottom Up"-Part III: Duration Curves and Wet-Weather Assessments. National TMDL Science and Policy 2003-WEF Specialty Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Han River Flood Control Office. http://www.hrfco.go.kr/.
- Han, S. H., Shin, H. S. and Kim, S. D. (2007). Applicability of Load Duration Curve to Nakdong River Watershed Management. Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality. 23(5), pp.620-627.
- Hwang, H. S., Yoon, C. G. and Kim, J. T. (2010). Application Load Duration Curve for Evaluation of Impaired Watershed at TMDL Unit Watershed in Korea. Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality. 26(6), pp.903-909.
- Hwang, H. S., Park, B. K., Kim, Y. S., Park, K. J., Cheon, S. U. and Lee, S. J. (2011) Research on the Applicability of the Load Duration Curve to Evaluate the Achievement of Target Water Quality in the Watershed for a TMDL. Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality. 27(6), pp.885-895.
- Kim, K. B. (2010). Assessment of Climate Change Impact on Water Quality Simulation for the Basin of Heuk Stream, Master's degree, Han-Kyung University.
- Korea Meteorological Administration. http://www.kma.go.kr/.
- Ministry of Environment. (2007). Standard Method for Examination of Water.
- Ministry of Environment. (2013). The Target Water Quality for Total Amount Management at Boundary Point in Kyunggido of Han-River Watershed.
- Min, K. H. (2014). Rainfall Network Design in Nakdong River Watershed By Areal Rainfall Estimation Methods, Master's degree, In-Ha University.
- Nebraska Department of Environmental Quality Planning Unit(NDEQ), Water Quality Division (2004). Total Maximum Daily Loads for the Big Blue River Basin.
- Nevada Division of Environmental Protection(NDEP), (2003). Load Duration Curve Methodology for Assessment and TMDL Development.
- Park, J. H. (2010). A Study of Waterbody Health Diagnosis Method Master's degree, Kyungpook University.
- U.S. EPA. Office of Wetlands, Oceans and Watersheds. (2007). An Approach for Using Load Duration Curves in the Development of TMDLs.
- Yoon, S. Y., Ryu, J. N. and Oh, J. I. (2013). Water Quality Management Measures for TMDL Unit Watershed Using Load Duration Curve, Journal of Korean Society of Water and Wastewater, 27(4), pp.429-438. https://doi.org/10.11001/jksww.2013.27.4.429