- Volume 29 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study on disinfection by-products formation according to kind of salt in on-site production
정수장 현장제조염소의 브로메이트와 클로레이트의 생성 특성연구
Min, Byungdae;Chung, Hyenmi;Kim, Taewook;Park, Juhyun
- Received : 2015.08.21
- Accepted : 2015.10.13
- Published : 2015.10.15
Although disinfection in drinking water treatment plants provides a safer water supply by inactivating pathogenic microorganisms, harmful disinfection by-products may be formed. In this study, the disinfectant, chlorine, was produced on-site from the electrolysis of salt (NaCl), and the by-products of the disinfection process, bromate and chlorate, were analyzed. The provisional guideline levels for bromate and chlorate in drinking water are
On-site production of chlorine;Bromate;Bromide;Disinfection by-products;Liquid chlorine
- Cotruvo, J., Fawell, J. K., Giddings, M., Jackson, P., Magara, Y., Ohanian, E. (2005). Bromate in drinking water, World Health Organization.
- Elena, R., Petra, B., Danila, T., Paolo, L., Elisa, C., Gianni, A., Mark, J. N., guglielmina, F., Gabriella, A. (2012). Trihalomethanes, chlorite, chlorate in drinking water and risk of congenital anomalies: A population-based case-control study in Northern Italy, Environmental Research, 116, 66-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envres.2012.04.014
- Fang, J. Y. and Shang, C. (2012). Bromate formation from bromide oxidation by the UV/persulfate process, Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 8976-8983. https://doi.org/10.1021/es300658u
- Haag, W. R. and Hoigne, J. (1983). Ozonation of bromide-containing waters: kinetics of formation of hypobromous acid and bromate, Environmental Science and Technology, 17, 261-267. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00111a004
- Hosseini, S. G., Pourmortazavi, S. M., Gholivand, K. (2009). Spectrophotometric determination of chlorate ions in drinking water, Desalination, 245, 298-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2008.06.021
- Japan Salt Industry Association (2015). http://www.sijoho.com/s03/03.html (July 7, 2015).
- Korn, C., Andrews, R. C., Escobar, M. D. (2002). Development of chlorine dioxide-related by-product models for drinking water treatment, Water Research, 36, 330-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0043-1354(01)00194-4
- Ministry of Environment. (2014). Notification regarding drinking water quality monitoring operating items, Ministry of Environment Notification 2014-129.
- National Institute of Environmental Research. (2013). Standardization of chemicals and materials for water treatment and distribution, 11-1480523-001714-01.
- Pisarenko, A. N., Stanford, B. D., Quinones, O., Pacey, G. E., Gordon, G., Snyder, S. A. (2010). Rapid analysis of perchlorate, chlorate and bromate ion in concentrated sodium hypochlorite solutions, Analytica Chimica Acta, 659, 216-223. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2009.11.061
- Rafaed, J. G. V., Leite, M. V. O. D., Hierro, J. M. H., Alfageme, S. D. C., Hernandez, C. G. (2010). Occurrence of bromate, chlorite and chlorate in drinking waters disinfected with hypochlorite reagents, Science of the Total Environment, 408, 2616-2620. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.03.011
- Shane, A., Benjamin, D., Aleksey, N., Gilbert, G., Mari, A. (2009), Hypochlorite, American Water Works Association and Water Research Foundation,
- Stanford, B. D, Pisarenko, A. N., Snyder, S. A., Gordon, G. (2011). Perchlorate, bromate, and chlorate in hypochlorite solutions: Guidelines for utilities, American Water Works Association, 103, 1-13.
- Uyak, V. Toroz, I. (2007). Investigation of bromide ion effects on disinfection by-products formation and speciation in an Istanbul water supply, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 149, 445-451. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2007.04.017
- von Gunten, U. and Pinkernell, U. (2000). Ozonation of bromide-containing drinking waters: a delicate balance between disinfection and bromate formation, Water Science and Technology, 41, 53-59.
- Yasushi, N., Hitomi, N., Akihiro, K., Tomio, S., Hiroshi, I. (1999). Quality of common Salt, The Japan Society of Cookery Science, 32, 1-12.
- Yu, Y. L., Cai, Y., Chen, M. L, Wang, J. H. (2013). Development of a miniature dielectric barrier discharge-optical emission spectrometric system for bromide and bromate screening in environmental water samples, Analytica Chimica Acta, 1-7.
- Zhang, T., Chen, W., Ma, J., Qiang, Z. (2008). Minimizing bromate formation with cerium dioxide during ozonation of bromide-containing water, Water Research, 42, 3651-3658. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2008.05.021
Grant : 수돗물 2차 오염방지를 위한 배급수관망 부식성 관리 연구(Ⅱ)