- Volume 52 Issue 5
The influx of innovation is urgently required to the fiber(textile) engineering education in Korea. In this review, we analyzed the present situation of both the industrial (engineering) ecosystem and the engineering education, and forecasted the direction where the fiber engineering education is going on. Rapid changes such as an increase in income level, a decrease in birth-rate, and reshaping the human lifestyle are taking place in Korea. Continuous improvement is required to the contents and the objectives of engineering education in each program. There are some serious problems for most of the students in universities, including a reduction in the credits for graduation, numerical decrease in entrance as well as graduation, the longer duration in universities, the increase in the unemployment ratio, the paradigm shift in education environment. To cope with the tremendous changes in industrial (engineering) ecosystem, we suggest that an expansion of using convergence technology, specialization for differentiation in education, improvement of educational content, and selective induction of an engineering accreditation system with the help of academic society are inevitable for the sustain-ability of fiber (textile) engineering education.
industrial(engineering) ecosystem;fiber(textile) engineering education;convergence technology;specialization;sustainability
- B. Cho, "Revolution of Talented Person", Hainaim Publishing, 2010, 17-28.
- D. I. Yoo and H. J. Cho, "ABEEK Program and Textile Engineering Education(II)", Fiber Technol. Ind., 2007, 11, 188-200.
- D. I. Yoo, "Present and Future of Fiber Engineering Education in Korea", Proceedings of Summer Seminar 2012, 2012, 1-25.
- LG Economic Research Institute, "New Future is Coming 2020", Hansmedia Publishing, 2011, 134-149.
- A. Done (Korean trans. S. J. Wie), "Facing Up to a Changing World", Mieraebook Publishing, 2013, 211-236.
- Statistics Korea (www.kostat.go.kr).
- Korean Educational Statistics Service (http://kess.kedi.re.kr).
- Planning Section, Weekly Biz, Chosun Ilbo, 2015. 9. 1.
- P. Thiel and B. Masters (Korean Trans. J. Y. Lee), The Korean Economic Daily & Business Publications, 2014, 13-20.
- A. Kaletsky (Korean Trans. S. J. Wie), "Capitalism 4.0 The Birth of New Economy", Culture and Story Publishing, 2011, 63-78.
- P. Ghemawat (Korean Trans. H. R. Kim and Y. R. Lee), "World 3.0", Chosun Books, 2012, 15-41.
- J. Rifkin (Korean Trans. J. H. Ahn), "The Third Industrial Revolution", Minumsa Publishing Co., 2012, 277-327.
- I. H. Park, "Uniqlo Saved Japaese Fiber Industries", Maeil Business Newspaper, 2015. 7. 22.
- Weekly Biz, Chosun Ilbo, 2015. 8. 29-30.
- B.-M. Seo, "The Collapse of University", Dongyeon Publishing, 2011, 31-62.
- College of Engineering, Seoul National University, "The White Book of College of Engineering, Seoul National University 2015", 2015.
- Self Reflection of College of Engineering, Seoul National University, Maeil Business Newspaper, 2015. 7. 13.
- The Committee of Middle-Long Term Development Planning of the Korean Fiber Society, Development Plan 2025, 2014.
- D. I. Yoo, H. J. Cho, and C. H. Kim, "ABEEK Program and Textile Engineering Education(I)", Fiber Technol. Ind., 2007, 11, 177-187.
- D. L. Rhode, (Korean Trans. J. W. Yoon), "In Pursuit of Knowledge", Alma Publishing Co., 2011, 11-52.
- JoongAng Ilbo University Evaluation (univ.joongang.co.kr)
- QS Worldwide University Rankings, Guides, & Events (www.topuniversities.com)
- Evaluation of 2015 Asian Universities, Chosun Ilbo, 2015. 6. 10.
- Evaluation of 2015 World Universities, Chosun Ilbo, 2015. 9. 15.
- Academic Ranking of World Universities (www.arwu.org)
- Center for World University Rankings (cwur.org)
- The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (www.abet.org)
- Accreditation Board for Engineering Education of Korea (www.abeek.or.kr)
- The Special Team of Money Today, "The Crucial Future in 5 Years", Business Books Publishing Co., 2013, 87-140.
- Industrial Fiber Materials Research Group, "Theory and Application of Industrial Fiber Materials", Chonnam National University Press, 2006.
- Surface Science Research Group, "Theory and Application of Surface Science", Chonnam National University Press, 2011.
- K. Koo, S. D. Kim, Y. H. Kim, D. I. Yoo, B. G. Min, W. H. Park, Y. Shin, K. W. Oh, M. S. Lee, and J. H. Jang, "Functional Finish", Kyomunsa Publishing Co., 2012.
- B. S. Kang, Y. C. Kim, and D. I. Yoo, "Introduction to Creative Design", Chonnam National University Press, 2014.
- College of Engineering, Seoul National University, "Suggestions for the Future of Korea", Knomad Publishing Co., 2015.