- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Knowledge of Female Undergraduate Students on Breast Cancer and Breast Self-examination in Klang Valley, Malaysia
- Akhtari-Zavare, Mehrnoosh (Cancer Resource and Education Center, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Latiff, Latiffah A (Cancer Resource and Education Center, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Juni, Muhamad Hanafiah (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine & Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Said, Salmiah Md (Department of Community Health, Faculty of Medicine & Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Ismail, Irmi Zarina (Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine & Health Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia)
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: In Malaysia, breast cancer is the first cancer among females regardness of race. Aim: The purpose of this study was to identify the knowledge and BSE practice among undergraduate female students at four public universities in Klang Valley, Malaysia. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted among 820 undergraduate female students using a self-administered questionnaire covering socio-demographic data, knowledge of breast cancer and BSE practice. Results: The mean age of the respondents was
Breast cancer;breast self examination;knowledge;undergraduate students;Malaysia
- Abdul-Hadi M, Hassali MA, Shafie AA, et al (2010). Evaluation of breast cancer awareness among female university students in Malaysia. Pharm Pract, 8, 29-34.
- Akhtari-Zavare M, Ghanbari-Baghestan A, Latiffah AL, Nasrin Matinnia, Mozhgan Hoseini (2014). Knowledge of Breast Cancer and Breast Self-Examination Practice among Iranian Women in Hamadan, Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6531-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6531
- Akhtari-Zavare M, Muhamad HJ, Salmiah MS, Irmi AM (2013). Beliefs and behavior of Malaysia undergraduate female students in a public university toward breast selfexamination practice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 57-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.57
- American Cancer Society (2012). Breast cancer fact & figure 2011-2012. Atlanta: American Cancer Society.
- Awatif AA (2006). Knowledge of breast cancer and its risk and protective factors among women in Riyadh. Ann Saudi Med, 26, 272-7.
- Benford M, Angellar M, Jiaxin H, Stephen D, Salman M (2012). Breast cancer knowledge and awareness among high school and college students in Mid-Western USA. Int J Sci Educ, Part B, 1-15.
- Chong CC, Jeya DC, Balakrishnan S (2014). Perception of breast health amongst Malaysian female adolescents. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7175-80. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7175
- Ersin F, Bahar Z (2013). Barriers and facilitating factors perceived in Turkish women's behaviors towards early cervical cancer detection: A qualitative approach. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4977-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.4977
- Fotedar V, Seam RK, Gupta MK, et al (2013). Knowledge of risk factors and early detection methods and practices towards breast cancer among nurses in indira gandhi medical college, shimla, himachal pradesh, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 117-20. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.1.117
- Giridhara RB, Goleen S, Sharon PC, et al (2011). Breast cancer screening among females in iran and recommendations for improved practice: a review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1647-55.
- Gok-Ozer F, Beydag KD, Ozbay C (2009). Determination of nursıng students' knowledge about breast cancer and how they perform breast examination. Pam Tip Derg, 2, 15-19.
- Gurdal SO, Saracoglu GV, Oran ES, et al (2012). The effects of educational level on breast cancer awareness: a crosssectional study in Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 295-300.
- Hadi M, Hassali M, Shafie A, et al (2010). Evaluation of breast cancer awareness among female university students in Malaysia. Pharmacy Practice, 8, 29-34.
- Hisham AN, Yip CH (2003). Spectrum of breast cancer in Malaysian women: overview. World J Surg, 27, 921-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-003-6976-x
- Hisham AN, Yip CH (2004). Overview of breast cancer in Malaysian women: A problem with late diagnosis. Asian J Surg, 27, 130-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1015-9584(09)60326-2
- Johnson N, Dickson-Swift V (2008). It usually happens in older women: Young women's perception about breast cancer. Health Educ J, 67, 243-57. https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896908097068
- Kanaga KC, Nithiya J, Noor-Shatirah MFV (2011). Awareness of breast cancer and screening procedures among Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1965-7.
- Karadag G, Gungormus Z, Surucu R, et al (2014). Awareness and practices regarding breast and cervical cancer among turkish women in gazientep. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 1093-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.3.1093
- Lamport L, Andre T (1993). AIDS knowledge and responsibility. Youth Society, 25, 38-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/0044118X93025001003
- Loh SY, Chew SL (2011). Awareness and practice of breast selfexamination among Malaysian women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 199-202.
- Manas K, Duangjai P, Chaowanee C, Suwit D (2014). Knowledge, attitudes and practice of breast cancer screening among female personnel of Walailak University. Health Expect, 1-10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. (2002). Clinical Practice Guidelines (management of breast cancer) [Online].Available: http://www.moh.gov.my/medical/cpg.htm. [2014, Oct 14].
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, Harirchi AM, Sajadian F, khaleghi F, et al (2008). Breast cancer in Iran: need for greater women awareness of warning signs and effective screening methods. Asia Pac Fam Med, 7, 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1447-056X-7-6
- Naif AA, Gamal M, Barjas MA, Malik SA, Medhat KE (2012). Knowledge, awareness, and practices concerning breast cancer among Kuwaiti female school teachers. AJM, 48, 75-82.
- National Cancer Registry, Malaysia (2008). Cancer Incidence in Peninsular Malaysia2003-2005. Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Nor-Afiah MZ, Hejar AR, Looi YK, et al (2011). Breast cancer screening: How knowledgeable are female staffs of a public university? Int Med J Malays, 10, 23-9.
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Mohd Zulkefli NA, et al (2008). Knowledge and behavior regarding breast cancer screening among female teachers in Selangor, Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 9, 221-7.
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Parsa N (2011). Factors associated with breast self-examination among Malaysian women teachers. East Mediterr Health J, 17, 509-16.
- Rabia L (2014). Knowledge and attitude of Saudi female students towards breast cancer: A cross-sectional study. J Taibah University Med Sci, 9, 328-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtumed.2014.05.004
- Radman SA, Ganasegeran K, Alabsi AM, Abdul-Manaf MR, Sharea I, Kassim S (2012). Exploration of barriers to breast-self examination amongurban women in Shah Alam, Malaysia: a cross sectional study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1627-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1627
- Redhwan AA, Dhekra HA, Yuri V BB, et al (2011). Practice and barriers toward breast self-examination among young Malaysian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1173-8.
- Redhwan AA, Yuri VB, Karim AJ (2012). Practice of breast self-examination among women in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3829-33. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3829
- Richard AD, Andrew KGT (2011). Utilization of breast cancer screening methodsin a developing nation: results from a nationally representative sample of Malaysian households. Breast J, 17, 399-402. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2011.01098.x
- Sim HL, Seah M,Tan SM (2009). Breast cancer knowledge and screening practices: a survey of 1,000 Asian women. Singapore Med J, 50, 132-8.
- Smith R, Saslow D, Sawyer K (2003). American Cancer Society guidelines for breast cancer screening: Update 2003. CA Cancer J Clin, 53, 141-169. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.53.3.141
- World Health Organization (2014). Breast cancer: prevention and control. [Online]. Available: http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/breastcancer/en/index3.html. [2014, May 12].
- Yilmaz D, Bebis H, Ortabag T (2013). Determining the awareness of and compliance with breast cancer screening among Turkish residential women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3281-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.5.3281
- Yip C, Mohd Taib N, Ibraham M (2006). Epidemiology of breast cancer in Malaysia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 369-74.
- Psychosocial predictors of breast self-examination behavior among female students: an application of the health belief model using logistic regression vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-017-4880-9
- Evaluation of Knowledge, Perception, and Risk Awareness About Breast Cancer and Its Treatment Outcome Among University of Gondar Students, Northwest Ethiopia vol.8, pp.2234-943X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3389/fonc.2018.00501
- Determinants of quality of life among Malaysian cancer patients: a cross-sectional study vol.16, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12955-018-0989-5
- Comparative Assessment of Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practice of Breast Self-Examination among Female Secondary and Tertiary School Students in Ghana vol.2018, pp.2090-3189, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/7502047