- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Expression of Bcl-2 in Primary and Recurrent Odontogenic Keratocysts in Comparison with Other Odontogenic Lesions
- Naz, Iram (Oral Pathology, Islamabad Medical and Dental College) ;
- Mahmood, Muhammad Khurram (Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Avicenna Medical College) ;
- Nagi, Abdul Hannan (Histopathology & Morbid Anatomy, University of Health Sciences)
- Published : 2015.10.06
Purpose: To determine the biological behaviour of common odontogenic cystic lesions by analysing and comparing bcl-2 expression amongst them. Materials and Methods: Our study covered 90 formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue samples: 26 primary cases each of radicular cysts (RC), dentigerous cysts (DC) and odontogenic keratocysts (OKC) and 12 of recurrent OKCs. Bcl-2 expression was analysed immunohistochemically and data analysis was accomplished using SPSS version 17.0. Means were taken for age while for gender and site of the lesions frequencies and percentages were determined. The Chi-square test was applied to evaluate any statistically significant difference of bcl-2 expression in these lesions and p value of
Odontogenic keratocyst;radicular cyst;dentigerous cyst;Bcl-2;KCOT
- Hyun HK, Hong SD, Kim JW (2009). Recurrent keratocystic odontogenic tumor in the mandible: a case report and literature review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 108, 7-10.
- Jaafar H, Abdullah S, Murtey MD, Idris FM (2012). Expression of Bax and Bcl-2 in tumour cells and blood vessels of breast cancer and their association with angiogenesis and hormonal receptors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3857-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3857
- Jahanshahi G, Talebi A, Shirvani A (2006). Expression of bcl-2 in the epithelial lining of odontogenic keratocysts. J Dent, 30, 30-1.
- Kelly PN, Strasser A (2011). The role of Bcl-2 and its prosurvival relatives in tumourigenesis and cancer therapy. Cell Death Differ, 18, 1414-24. https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2011.17
- Kimi K, Kumamoto H, Ooya K, Motegi K (2000). Analysis of apoptosis-related factors and apoptotic cells in lining epithelium of odontogenic keratocysts. Oral Med Pathol, 5, 35-40. https://doi.org/10.3353/omp.5.35
- Kolar Z, Geierova M, Bouchal J, et al (2006). Immunohistochemical analysis of the biological potential of odontogenic keratocysts. J Oral Pathol Med, 35, 75-80, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2006.00382.x
- Li TJ (2011). The Odontogenic keratocyst a cyst, or a cystic neoplasm? J Dent Res, 91, 133-42.
- Loyola AM, Cardoso SV, Lisa GS, et al (2005). Apoptosis in epithelial cells of apical radicular cysts. Int Endod J, 38, 465-69. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2591.2005.00971.x
- Naz I, Mahmood MK, Akhtar F and Gillani SM (2012). Clinicopathological analysis of Odontogenic Cysts in a selected Pakistani population. Biomedica, 28, 61.
- Philipsen HP, Barnes L, Eveson JW, et al (2005). Keratocystic odontogenic tumor. world health organization classification of tumours: pathology and genetics head and neck tumours. Lyon, France: IARC Press: 306-7.
- Piatteli A, Fioroni M, Rubini C (1998). Differentiation of odontogrnic keratocysts from other odontogenic cysts by the expression of bcl-2 immunoreactivity. Oral Oncol, 34, 404-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(98)00026-8
- Rooswinkel RW, van de Kooij B, de Vries E, et al (2014). Antiapoptotic potency of Bcl-2 proteins primarily relies on their stability, not binding selectivity. Blood, 123, 2806-15. https://doi.org/10.1182/blood-2013-08-519470
- Serasinghe MN, Missert DJ, Asciolla JJ, et al (2014). Antiapoptotic BCL-2 proteins govern cellular outcome following B-RAFV600E inhibition and can be targeted to reduce resistance. Oncogene, 1-11.
- Singh M, Gupta KC (2010). Surgical treatment of odontogenic keratocyst by enucleation. Contemp Clin Dent, 1, 263-7
- Souers AJ, Leverson JD, Boghaert ER, et al (2013). ABT-199, a potent and selective BCL-2 inhibitor, achieves antitumor activity while sparing platelets. Nature medicine. 19, 202-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm.3048
- Sujatha R, Chandrashekar P, Kumar KK, et al (2013). Differentiation of odontogenic keratocyst from radicular and dentigerous cysts by bcl-2 protein - An immunohistochemical study. J NTR Univ Health Sci, 2, 186-90. https://doi.org/10.4103/2277-8632.117186
- Suzuki T, Kumamoto H, Kunimori K, Ooya K (2005). Immunohistochemical analysis of apoptosis-related factors in lining epithelium of radicular cysts. J Oral Pathol Med, 34, 46-52. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2004.00248.x
- Tekkesin MS, Mutlu S, Olgac V (2012). Expressions of bax, bcl-2 and ki-67 in odontogenic keratocysts (keratocystic odontogenic tumor) in comparison with ameloblastomas and radicular cysts. Turk Patoloji Derg, 28, 49-55
- Vered M, Peleg O, Taicher S, Buchner A (2009). The immunoprofile of odontogenic keratocyst (keratocystic odontogenic tumor) that includes expression of PTCH, SMO, GLI-1 and bcl-2 is similar to ameloblastoma but different from odontogenic cysts. J Oral Pathol Med, 38, 597-604. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2009.00778.x
- Zyada MM, Grawish ME, Elsabaa HM (2009). Predictive value of cyclooxygenase-2 and Bcl-2 for cervical lymph node metastasis in mucoepidermoid carcinoma. Ann Diagn Pathol, 13, 313-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2009.06.003