- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Common Risk Factors for Breast Carcinoma in Females: a Hospital Based Study in Karachi, Pakistan
- Sufian, Saira Naz (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi) ;
- Masroor, Imrana (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi) ;
- Mirza, Waseem (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi) ;
- Butt, Sehrish (Research Associate Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi) ;
- Afzal, Shaista (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi) ;
- Sajjad, Zafar (Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi)
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: Breast malignancies are one of the leading causes of deaths in females worldwide. There are a number of risk factors associated with breast cancer but in Karachi Pakistan there are insufficient data available. Materials and Methods: A case control study was conducted on females in age group between 30-80 years. This study was accomplished by retrospective data collection in Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi, Pakistan. A total of 108 females with primary malignancy of breast were included along with 108 matched controls. Relationship of various factors with disease was studied using logistic regression to calculate odds ratios with 95 % confidence intervals. Results: A total of 14 variables were analyzed and based on and 7 were found to be risk factors: old age, family history of breast cancer, family history of other carcinomas, personal history of breast carcinoma, early age of menarche, older age of mother at first delivery and lower number of children. Five factors, parity, breast feeding, history of oral contraceptive pills intake, past history of oophorectomy and hysterectomy showed protective associations. One variable, use of hormonal replacement therapy, showed a controversial link and one other, marital status, was not significant in this study. Conclusions: It is concluded that most of the well-known risk factors for breast cancer are also associated with the disease in the female population of Karachi, Pakistan. High risk patients should be the focus with the help of this study so that screening can be more effective for early diagnosis before clinically evident breast malignancy.
Risk factors;breast cancer;female;mammogram;Karachi, Pakistan
- Elkum N, Al-Tweigeri T, Ajarim D, et al (2014). Cancer in arab women. BMC Cancer, 14, 788. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-788
- Fathinajafi T (2003). To evaluate some of the breast cancer risk factors amongst women in reproductive age group residing in Mashed city. J Med Facul Meshed, 76.
- Goldgar DE, Stratton MR, Eeles RA (1996). Familial breast cancer. genetic predisposition to cancer. london: Chapman and Hall, 227-38.
- Haghdoost AA, Baneshi MR, Haji-Maghsoodi S, Molavi- Vardanjani H, Mohebbi E (2015). Application of a network scale-up method to estimate the size of population of breast, ovarian/cervical, prostate and bladder cancers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3273-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3273
- Harrison (1987). The textbook of principal of internal medicine. 11th ed. USA: braunwald isselbacher petersdorf wilson martin fauci, 837-8.
- Hu J, Zhou GW, Wang N, et al (2010). MTRR A66G polymorphism and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 124, 779-84. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-010-0892-1
- Islamian JP, Hatamian M, Rashidi MR (2014) Nanoparticles promise new methods to boost oncology outcomes in breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1683-6.
- Khabaz MN, Gari MA, Al-Maghrabi JA, Nedjadi T, Bakarman M (2015) Association between gstp1 genotypes and hormone receptor phenotype in invasive ductal carcinomas of breast. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1707-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1707
- Kruk J (2014). Lifestyle components and primary breast cancer prevention. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10543-55.
- Kumle M, Weiderpass E, Braaten T, et al (2002) Use of oral contraceptives and breast cancer risk: the norwegian- Swedish women's lifestyle and health cohort study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 11, 1375-81.
- Kuru B, Ozaslan C, Ozdemir P, et al (2002). Risk factors for breast cancer in Turkish women with early pregnancies and long-lasting lactation--a case-control study. Acta Oncol, 41, 556-61. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860214964
- Lokman R, Dayang AA, Hasni MJ, Noor Hassim I (2001) Selenium blood level and other risk factors of breast cancer among patients in HKL. VIII national public health qolloquium. kuala lumpur: community health department, Medical Faculty UKM.
- Lotfi MH, Charkhatti S, Shobairi S (2008). Breast cancer risk factors in an urban area of yazd city-Iran. Acta Med Iranica, 46, 258-64.
- Mousavi SM, Mohaghegghi MA, Mousavi-Jerrahi A, Nahvijou A, Seddighi Z (2006). Burden of breast cancer in Iran: a study of the tehran population based cancer registry. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 571-4.
- Namiranian N, Moradi-Lakeh M, Razavi-Ratki SK, Doayie M, Nojomi M (2014). Risk factors of breast cancer in the eastern mediterranean region: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9535-41. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9535
- Narod SA (2002). Modifiers of risk of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer. Nat Rev Cancer, 2, 113-23. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc726
- Alacacioglu A, Ulger E, Varol U, et al (2014). Depression, anxiety and sexual satisfaction in breast cancer patients and their partners-izmir oncology group study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10631-6.
- Amin TT, Al Mulhim AR, Al Meqihwi A (2009). Breast cancer knowledge, risk factors and screening among adult saudi women in a primary health care setting. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 133-8.
- Anothaisintawee T, Wiratkapun C, Lerdsitthichai P, Kasamesup V (2013). Risk factors of breast cancer: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Asia Pac J Public Health 25, 368-287. https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539513488795
- Azizi F (2004). Textbook of epidemiology and control of common disorder in Iran. 2nd ed. Tehran: khosravi publisher, 201-4.
- Becher H, Schmidt S, Chang-Claude J (2003). Reproductive factors and familial predisposition for breast cancer by age 50 years. A case-control-family study for assessing main effects and possible gene-environment interaction. Int J Epidemiol, 32, 38-48. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyg003
- Bilimoria MM, Morrow M (1995). The woman at increased risk for breast cancer: evaluation and management strategies. CA Cancer J Clin, 45, 263- 78. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.45.5.263
- Brinton LA, Schaiere C, Hoover RN, et al (1988). Menstrual factors and risk of breast cancer. Cancer Invest, 6, 145-54. https://doi.org/10.3109/07357908809077042
- Brinton LA, Hoover R, Fraumeni JF Jr (1983). Epidemiology of minimal breast cancer. JAMA, 249, 483-7. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1983.03330280029024
- Naser Elkum, Taher Al-Tweigeri, Dahish Ajarim, et al (2014). Obesity is a significant risk factor for breast cancer in Arab women. BMC Cancer, 14, 788. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-788
- Nelson HD, Humphrey LL, Nygren P, et al (2002) Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy: scientific review. JAMA, 288, 872-81. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.7.872
- Norsa'adah B, Rusli BN, Imran AK, Naing I, Winn T (2005). Risk factors of breast cancer in women in Kelantan, Malaysia Singapore. Med J, 46, 698-705.
- Ozkaraman A, Culha I, Fadiloglu ZC, et al (2015). Relationships between social support and social image concerns in Turkish women with breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1795-802. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1795
- Ozmen V, Ozcinar B, Karanlik H, et al (2009). Breast cancer risk factors in Turkish women-a University Hospital based nested case control study. World J Surg Oncol, 7, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-7-1
- Pakseresht S, Ingle GK, Bahadur AK, et al (2009). Risk factors with breast cancer among women in Delhi. Indian J Cancer, 46, 132-8. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.49151
- Pharoah PDP, Day NE, Duffy S, et al (1997). Family history and the risk of breast cancer: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Int J Cancer, 71, 800-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19970529)71:5<800::AID-IJC18>3.0.CO;2-B
- Ries LAG, Eisner MP, Kosary CL, et al (2000). SEER cancer statistics review, national cancer institute. Bethesda, MD. NIH Pub, 2789. 1973-97.
- Singletary SE (2003). Rating the risk factors for breast cancer. Ann Surg, 237, 474-82.
- Sun HL, Dong XX, Cong YJ, et al (2015). Depression and the risk of breast cancer: a meta-analysis of cohort studies. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3233-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3233
- Tabrizi FM (2015). Health promoting behavior and influencing factors in iranian breast cancer survivors. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1729-36. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.5.1729
- U.S. Cancer Statistics Working Group (2013). United states cancer statistics: 1999-2010 incidence and mortality webbased report. atlanta (ga): department of health and human services, centers for disease control and prevention, and national cancer institute.
- Veisy A, Lotfinejad S, Salehi K, Zhian F (2015). Reproductive factors in North-west of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 451-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.451
- Vogel VG (1998). Breast cancer risk factors and preventive approaches to breast cancer. In: Kavanagh JJ, Singletary SE, Einhorn N, et al. (eds). Cancer in women. Malden, MA: Blackwell Science, 58-91.
- Wang QS, Ross RK, Yu MC, et al (1992). A case-control study of breast cancer in Tianjin, China. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 1, 435-9.
- Whiteman MK, Wingo PA, Austin H, et al (2007). Oral contraceptives and the risk of death from breast cancer. Obstet Gynecol, 110, 793-800. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.AOG.0000284446.22251.6e
- Zare N, Haem E, Kamran B, Lankarani Heydari ST, Barooti J (2013). Breast cancer risk factors in a defined population: weighted logistic regression approach for rare events breast cancer. J Breast Cancer, 16, 214-9. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.2.214
- Zhang M, Jin M, Yu Y, et al (2012). Associations of miRNA polymorphisms and female physiological characteristics with breast cancer risk in Chinese population. Eur J Cancer Care, 21, 274-80.
- Influence of Genotype and Haplotype of MDR1 (C3435T, G2677A/T, C1236T) on the Incidence of Breast Cancer - a Case-Control Study in Jordan vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.261
- Mammographic Screening of Women Attending a Reference Service Center in Southern Brazil vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1385
- Reproductive risk factors associated with breast cancer in women in Bangui: a case–control study vol.17, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12905-017-0368-0