- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma - Circulating Status of Vaspin and Retinol Binding Protein-4 in Iranian Patients
- Jabbari, Sepideh (Department of Biology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Hedayati, Mehdi (Cellular and Molecular Research Center, Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Yaghmaei, Parichehreh (Department of Biology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University) ;
- Parivar, Kazem (Department of Biology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University)
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: Vaspin and Retinol binding protein-4 (RBP4) are new adipokines mainly produced by adipose tissue. Considering that medullary thyroid carcinoma (MTC) is a malignant neuroendocrine tumor, and to date the relationship between serum levels of vaspin and RBP4 with MTC has not been studied, in this matched case-control study we evaluated their possible significance to this tumor type. Materials and Methods: A total of 45 patients with MTC (21 males and 24 females) and 45 healthy persons as a control group (24 males and 21 females) were selected. The two groups were matched for age, sex and body mass index. Serum Vaspin and RBP4 levels were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) methods in both groups. Also, weight and height were measured and body mass index was calculated too. Results: In total, patients with MTC had significantly higher serum vaspin levels compared to the controls (0.52ng/ml vs. 0.45ng/ml, P=0.0241). However, no significant difference was found in serum RBP4 concentrations between the patients with MTC and the controls (
Vaspin;retinol binding protein 4;adipokine;medullary;thyroid carcinoma
Supported by : Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences
- Abel ED, Peroni O, Kim JK, et al (2001). Adipose-selective targeting of the GLUT4 gene impairs insulin action in muscle and liver. Nature, 409, 729-33. https://doi.org/10.1038/35055575
- Abulaizi M, Tomonaga T, Satoh M, et al (2011). The application of a three-step proteome analysis for identification of new biomarkers of pancreatic cancer. Int J Proteomics, 2011, 628787.
- Aktas B, Yilmaz Y, Eren F, et al (2011). Serum levels of vaspin, obestatin, and apelin-36 in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Metabolism, 60, 544-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2010.05.008
- Alvandi E, Akrami SM, ChianiM, et al (2011). Molecular analysis of the RET proto-oncogene key exons in patients with medullary thyroid carcinoma: a comprehensive study of the Iranian population. Thyroid, 21, 373-82. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2010.0267
- Bluher M (2012). Vaspin in obesity and diabetes: pathophysiological and clinical significance. Endocrine, 41, 176-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-011-9572-0
- Bluher M (2014). Adipokines-removing road blocks to obesity and diabetes therapy. Mol Metab, 3, 230-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.molmet.2014.01.005
- Cheng Y, Liu C, Zhang N, et al (2014). Proteomics analysis for finding serum markers of ovarian cancer. Biomed Res Int, 2014, 1-9.
- Colantuoni V, Romano V, Bensi G, et al (1983). Cloning and sequencing of a full length cDNA coding for human retinolbinding protein. Nucleic Acids Res, 11, 7769-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/11.22.7769
- Duggirala R, Blangero J, Almasy L, et al (1999). Linkage of type 2 diabetes mellitus and of age at onset to a genetic location on chromosome 10q in mexican americans. Am J Hum Genet, 64, 1127-40. https://doi.org/10.1086/302316
- El-Mesallamy HO, Hamdy NM, Zaghloul AS, et al (2013). Clinical value of circulating lipocalins and insulin-like growth factor axis in pancreatic cancer diagnosis. Pancreas, 42, 149-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e3182550d9d
- Erdogan S, Sezer S, Baser E, et al (2013). Evaluating vaspin and adiponectin in postmenopausal women with endometrial cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer, 20, 669-75. https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-13-0280
- Fabris C, Piccoli A, Meani A, et al (1984). Study of retinolbinding protein in pancreatic cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 108, 227-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00402471
- Fazeli MS, Dashti H, Akbarzadeh S, et al (2013). Circulating levels of novel adipocytokines in patients with colorectal cancer. Cytokine, 62, 81-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cyto.2013.02.012
- Feng R, Li Y, Wang C, et al (2014). Higher vaspin levels in subjects with obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus: A metaanalysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 106, 88-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2014.07.026
- Flower DR (1996). The lipocalin protein family: structure and function. Biochem J, 318, 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1042/bj3180001
- Ghaemmaghami S, Mohaddes SM, Hedayati M, et al (2013). Resistin and visfatin expression in HCT-116 colorectal cancer cell line. Int J Mol Cell Med, 2, 143-50.
- Hedayati M, Nabipour I, Rezaei-Ghaleh N, et al (2006). Germline RET mutations in exons 10 and 11: an Iranian survey of 57 medullary thyroid carcinoma cases. Med J Malaysia, 61, 564-9.
- Hedayati M, Yaghmaei P, Pooyamanesh Z, et al (2011). Leptin: a correlated peptide to papillary thyroid carcinoma? J Thyroid Res, 2011, 832163.
- Hedayati M, Zarif Yeganeh M, Sheikhol Eslami S, et al (2011). Predominant RET germline mutations in exons 10, 11, and 16 in Iranian patients with hereditary medullary thyroid carcinoma. J Thyroid Res, 2011, 264248.
- Hida K, Wada J, Eguchi J, et al (2005). Visceral adipose tissuederived serine protease inhibitor: a unique insulin-sensitizing adipocytokine in obesity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 102, 10610-15. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0504703102
- Jian W, Peng W, Xiao S, et al (2014). Role of serum vaspin in progression of type 2 diabetes: a 2-year cohort study. PloS one, 9, 94763. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0094763
- Jung CH, Lee WJ, Hwang JY, et al (2011). Vaspin protects vascular endothelial cells against free fatty acid-induced apoptosis through a phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 413, 264-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2011.08.083
- Jung UJ, Choi MS (2014). Obesity and its metabolic complications: the role of adipokines and the relationship between obesity, inflammation, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Int J Mol Sci, 15, 6184-223. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms15046184
- Kadoglou NP, Gkontopoulos A, Kapelouzou A, et al (2011). Serum levels of vaspin and visfatin in patients with coronary artery disease-Kozani study. Clin Chim Acta, 412, 48-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cca.2010.09.012
- Kloting N, Berndt J, Kralisch S, et al (2006). Vaspin gene expression in human adipose tissue: association with obesity and type 2 diabetes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 339, 430-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.11.039
- Kloting N, Kovacs P, Kern M, et al (2011). Central vaspin administration acutely reduces food intake and has sustained blood glucose-lowering effects. Diabetologia, 54, 1819-23. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-011-2137-1
- Kotnik P, Fischer-Posovszky P, Wabitsch M (2011). RBP4: a controversial adipokine. Eur J Endocrinol, 165, 703-11. https://doi.org/10.1530/EJE-11-0431
- Lee JA, Park HS, Song YS, et al (2011). Relationship between vaspin gene expression and abdominal fat distribution of Korean women. Endocr J, 58, 639-46. https://doi.org/10.1507/endocrj.K11E-073
- Lee YC, Chen YJ, Wu CC, et al (2012). Resistin expression in breast cancer tissue as a marker of prognosis and hormone therapy stratification. Gynecol Oncol, 125, 742-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2012.02.032
- Lorkova L, Pospisilova J, Lacheta J, et al (2012). Decreased concentrations of retinol-binding protein 4 in sera of epithelial ovarian cancer patients: a potential biomarker identified by proteomics. Oncol Rep, 27, 318-24.
- Ghazi AA, Bagheri M, Tabibi A, et al (2014). Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2a in an iranian family: clini-cal and genetic studies. Arch Iran Med, 17, 378-82.
- Majidi M, Haghpanah V, Hedayati M, et al (2011). A family presenting with multiple endocrine neoplasia type 2B: A case report. J Med Case Rep, 5, 587. https://doi.org/10.1186/1752-1947-5-587
- Meigs JB, Panhuysen CI, Myers RH, et al (2002). A genomewide scan for loci linked to plasma levels of glucose and HbA1c in a community-based sample of caucasian Pedigrees The framingham offspring Study. Diabetes, 51, 833-40. https://doi.org/10.2337/diabetes.51.3.833
- Mirzaei K, Hossein-nezhad A, Keshavarz SA, et al (2013). Crosstalk between circulating peroxisome proliferatoractivated receptor gamma, adipokines and metabolic syndrome in obese subjects. Diabetol Metab Syndr, 5, 79. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-5996-5-79
- Nair AK, Sugunan D, Kumar H, et al (2010). Case-control analysis of SNPs in GLUT4, RBP4 and STRA6: association of SNPs in STRA6 with type 2 diabetes in a South Indian population. PLoS One, 5, 11444. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0011444
- Newcomer ME, Ong DE (2000). Plasma retinol binding protein: structure and function of the prototypic lipocalin. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1482, 57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-4838(00)00150-3
- Ouchi N, Parker JL, Lugus JJ, et al (2011). Adipokines in inflammation and metabolic disease. Nat Rev Immunol, 11, 85-97. https://doi.org/10.1038/nri2921
- Patz EF Jr, Campa MJ, Gottlin EB, et al (2007). Panel of serum biomarkers for the diagnosis of lung cancer. J Clin Oncol, 25, 5578-83. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.5392
- Phalitakul S, Okada M, Hara Y, et al (2013). Vaspin prevents methylglyoxal-induced apoptosis in human vascular endothelial cells by inhibiting reactive oxygen species generation. Acta Physiologica, 209, 212-9.
- Putzki H, Reichert B, Hinz M (1990). Retinol-binding protein, haptoglobin and ceruloplasmin--tumor markers in colorectal cancer? Z Gesamte Inn Med, 45, 50-52.
- Saboori S, Hosseinzadeh-Attar MJ, Hosseini M, et al (2013). The comparison of serum vaspin and visfatin concentrations in obese and normal weight women. Diabetes Metab Syndr.
- Sahin-Efe A, Katsikeris F, Mantzoros CS (2012). Advances in adipokines. Metabolism, 61, 1659-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.metabol.2012.09.001
- Sheikholeslami S, Yeganeh MZ, Rad LH, et al (2014). Haplotype Frequency of G691S/S904S in the RET proto-onco-gene in Patients with medullary thyroid carcinoma. Iran J Public Health, 43, 235-40.
- Tsunoda S, Smith E, De Young NJ, et al (2009). Methylation of CLDN6, FBN2, RBP1, RBP4, TFPI2, and TMEFF2 in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Rep, 21, 1067-73.
- Tsutsumi C, Okuno M, Tannous L, et al (1992). Retinoids and retinoid-binding protein expression in rat adipocytes. J Biol Chem, 267, 1805-10.
- Uehara H, Takahashi T, Izumi K (2013). Induction of retinolbinding protein 4 and placenta-specific 8 expression in human prostate cancer cells remaining in bone following osteolytic tumor growth inhibition by osteoprotegerin. Int J Oncol, 43, 365-74.
- Wada J (2008). Vaspin: a novel serpin with insulin-sensitizing effects. Expert Opin Investig Drugs, 17, 327-33. https://doi.org/10.1517/135437220.127.116.117
- Wang DD, Zhao YM, Wang L, et al (2011). Preoperative serum retinol-binding protein 4 is associated with the prognosis of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma after curative resection. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 137, 651-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-010-0927-3
- Yeganeh MZ, Sheikholeslami S, Behbahani GD, et al (2015). Skewed mutational spectrum of RET proto-oncogene Exon10 in Iranian patients with medullary thyroid carcinoma.Tumor Biol, [Epub ahead of print].
- Zarif-Yeganeh M, Sheikholeslami S, Dehbashi-Behbahani G, et al (2015). Point mutations in ret proto-oncogene exon 10 in Patients with medullary thyroid carcinoma. J Kerman Univ Med Sci, 22, 249-60.
- Zhu X, Jiang Y, Shan PF, et al (2013). Vaspin attenuates the apoptosis of human osteoblasts through ERK signaling pathway. Amino Acids, 44, 961-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-012-1425-5
- Circulating levels of PTEN and KLLN in papillary thyroid carcinoma: can they be considered as novel diagnostic biomarkers? vol.57, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12020-017-1368-4
- Urinary Proteomics Profiles Are Useful for Detection of Cancer Biomarkers and Changes Induced by Therapeutic Procedures vol.24, pp.4, 2019, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24040794