- Volume 16 Issue 15
Background: Breast cancer (BC) is the most frequent malignancy among females and is a leading cause of death of middle-aged women. Herein, we evaluated baseline characteristics for BC patients and also compared these variables across ealry and late recurrence groups. Materials and Methods: Between 1995 to 2014, among female breast cancer patients referred to our oncology clinic, eighty-six were entered into our study. All had distant metastasis. Early recurrence was defined as initial recurrence within 5 years following curative surgery irrespective of site. Likewise, late recurrence was defined as initial recurrence after 5 years. No recurrence was defined for survivors to a complete minimum of 10 years follow-up. Significant prognostic factors associated with early or late recurrence were selected according to the Akaike Information Criterion. Results: The median follow-up was 9 years (range, 1-18 years). During follow-up period, 51 recurrences occurred (distant metastasis), 31 early and 20 late. According to the site of recurrence, there were 51 distant. In this follow-up period, 19 patients died. Compared with the early recurrence group, the no recurrence group had lower lymph node involvement and more p53 positive lesions but the late recurrence group had lower tumor size. In comparison to no recurrence, p53 (odds ratio [OR] 6.94, 95% CI 1.49-32.16) was a significant prognostic factor for early recurrence within 5 years. Conclusions: Tumor size, p53 and LN metastasis are the most important risk factors for distance recurrence especially in early recurrence and also between of them, p53 is significant prognostic factor for early recurrence.
Breast cancer;recurrence;p53;tumor size
- Ahn SG, Lee HM, Cho SH, et al (2013). The difference in prognostic factors between early recurrence and late recurrence in estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer: nodal stage differently impacts early and late recurrence. PLoS One, 8, 63510. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0063510
- Bogina G, Lunardi G, Coati F, et al (2015). Progesterone receptor status and clinical outcome in breast cancer patients with estrogen receptor-positive locoregional recurrence. Tumori, [Epub ahead of print].
- Boyages J, Recht A, Connolly JL, et al (1990). Early breast cancer: predictors of breast recurrence for patients treated with conservative surgery and radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol, 19, 29-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8140(90)90163-Q
- Carter CL, Allen C, Henson DE (1989). Relation of tumor size, lymph node status, and survival in 24,740 breast cancer cases. Cancer, 63, 181-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19890101)63:1<181::AID-CNCR2820630129>3.0.CO;2-H
- Davies C, Godwin J, Gray R, et al (2011). Relevance of breast cancer hormone receptors and other factors to the efficacy of adjuvant tamoxifen: patient-level meta-analysis of randomized trials. Lancet, 378, 771-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)60993-8
- Demicheli R, Abbattista A, Miceli R, Valagussa P, Bonadonna G (1996). Time distribution of the recurrence risk for breast cancer patients undergoing mastectomy: further support about the concept of tumor dormancy. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 41, 177-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01807163
- Diaconu C, Chifu C, Cosman C, et al (2010). Early recurrence in favorable stage II breast cancer-which approach is the best? Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi, 114, 771-6.
- Doussal VLe, Tubiana-Hulin M, Friedman S, et al (1989). Prognostic value of histologic grade nuclear components of Scarff-Bloom-Richardson (SBR). An improved score modification based on a multivariate analysis of 1262 invasive ductal breast carcinomas. Cancer, 64, 1914-21. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19891101)64:9<1914::AID-CNCR2820640926>3.0.CO;2-G
- Fisher B, Bauer M, Wickerham DL (1983). Relation of number of positive axillary nodes to the prognosis of patients with primary breast cancer. An NSABP update. Cancer, 52, 1551-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19831101)52:9<1551::AID-CNCR2820520902>3.0.CO;2-3
- Hess KR, Pusztai L, Buzdar AU, Hortobagyi GN (2013). Estrogen receptors and distinct patterns of breast cancer relapse. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 78, 105-18.
- Omidvari S, Hamedi SH, Mohammadianpanah M, et al (2013). Very late relapse in breast cancer survivors: a report of 6 cases. Iran J Cancer Prev, 6, 113-7.
- Oven Ustaalioglu BB, Balvan O, Bilici A, et al (2015). The differences of clinicopathological factors for breast cancer in respect to time of recurrence and effect on recurrence-free survival. Clin Transl Oncol, [Epub ahead of print]
- Payandeh M, Malayeri R, Sadeghi M, Sadeghi E, Gholami F (2015). Expression of p53 and Ki67 in the patients with triple negative BC and invasive ductal carcinoma. Am J Cancer Prev, 3, 58-61.
- Payandeh M, Shazad B, Sadeghi M, Bahari B, Sadeghi E (2015). Association between of BMI and blood groups with breast cancer incidence among women of West Iran: a case-control study. Am J Cancer Prev, 3, 65-7.
- Perez-Rivas LG, Jerez JM, Carmona R, et al (2014). A microRNA signature associated with early recurrence in breast cancer. PLoS One, 9, 91884. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0091884
- Saxe GA, Rock CL, Wicha MS, Schottenfeld D (1999). Diet and risk for breast cancer recurrence and survival. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 53, 41-53. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1006127527107
- Sestak I, Cuzick J (2015). Markers for the identification of late breast cancer recurrence. Breast Cancer Res, 17, 10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13058-015-0516-0
- Shafiee SM, Rasti M, Seghatoleslam A, Azimi T, Owji AA (2015). UBE2Q1 in a human breast carcinoma cell line: overexpression and interaction with p53. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3723-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3723
- Stankov A, Bargallo-Rocha JE, Silvio AN, et al (2012). Prognostic factors and recurrence in breast cancer: experience at the national cancer institute of Mexico. ISRN Oncol, 2012, 825258.
- Thurlimann B (2007). Reducing the risk of early recurrence in hormone-responsive breast cancer. Ann Oncol, 18, viii8-17.
- Wang WJ, Lei YY, Mei JH, Wang CL (2015). Recent progress in HER2 associated breast cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2591-600. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2591
- Yin W, Di G, Zhou L, et al (2009). Timevarying pattern of recurrence risk for Chinese breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 114, 527-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0022-5
- Influence of Genotype and Haplotype of MDR1 (C3435T, G2677A/T, C1236T) on the Incidence of Breast Cancer - a Case-Control Study in Jordan vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.261
- Expression of p53 Breast Cancer in Kurdish Women in the West of Iran: a Reverse Correlation with Lymph Node Metastasis vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1261