- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Lived Experience among Patients Newly Diagnosed with Lung Adenocarcinoma Stage IV within One Year
- Shih, Whei-Mei Jean (Graduate Institute of Health Care) ;
- Hsu, Hsiu-Chin (Graduate Institute of Health Care) ;
- Jiang, Ru-Shang (Department of Nursing, Puzi, Chiayi Campus, Chang Gung University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lin, Mei-Hsiang (Graduate Institute of Health Allied Education, National Taipei University of Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: lung cancer (LC) is the fifth of the 10 leading causes of death in the world. LC is in first place for cancer-related mortality for both males and females in Taiwan. It is one of the most difficult cancers to treat and is often diagnosed at a late stage. Patients with stage IV are often unprepared for the diagnosis. Materials and Methods: To explore lived experience among patients newly diagnosed with lung adenocarcinoma stage IV within one year. Results: Twelve participants were recruited in this study. Content analysis of the interviews revealed four themes: (1) emotional roller coaster, (2) trying to find out causes, (3) adjusting my lifestyle, and (4) cancer fighter. Conclusions: This study provides new insight into the experiences of lung cancer patients y with newly diagnosed lung adenocarcinoma stage 4. These results will inform future supportive care service development and intervention research for patients with advanced stage cancer.
Lung cancer;adenocarcinoma;advanced stage;qualitative experience;Taiwan
- Noronha V, Dikehit R, Raut N, et al, (2012). Epidemiology of lung cancer in India: focus on the differences between nonsmokers and smokers: a single-centre experience. Indian J Cancer, 49, 74-81. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.98925
- Pagano E, Filippini C, Di Cuonzo D, et al.(2010). Factors affecting pattern of care and survival in a population-based cohort of non-small-cell lung cancer incident cases. Cancer Epidemiol, 34, 483-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2010.04.002
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2001). Estimating the world cancer burden: GLOBOCAN 2000. Int J Cancer, 94, 153-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.1440
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Sidorchuk A, Agardh EE, Aremu O, et al (2009). Socioeconomic differences in lung cancer incidence: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 459-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9300-8
- Robinson P and Lindsay E (2000). In vivo and in vitro studies of anticancer defense: Diet, exercise and immunity. Dissertation, University of Alberta, Canada.
- Sher T, Dy GK, Adjei AA. (2008). Mayo Clin Proc, 83, 355-367. https://doi.org/10.4065/83.3.355
- Silverman D (2001). Interpreting qualitative data. methods for analysing talk, Text and Interaction. Sage Publications: London, 2001.
- Silverman D. (2000). Doing qualitative research: A practical handbook. Sage Publication: London.
- Strauss A. and Corbin J. (1990). Basics of qualitative research: grounded theory procedures and techniques. Newbury Park: Sage.
- Thun MJ, Hannan LM, Adams-Campbell LL, et al (2008). “Lung cancer occurrence in never-smokers: an analysis of 13 cohorts and 22 cancer registry studies”. PLoS Med, 5, 1357-71.
- Tod AM, Craven J, Allmark P. (2008). Diagnostic delay in lung cancer: a qualitative study. J Adv Nurs, 61, 336-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2007.04542.x
- Turner MC. (2012). Environmental risk factors for lung cancer mortality in the cancer prevention study-II. Unpublished dissertation, University of Ottawa, CA
- Widakowich C1, de Castro G Jr, de Azambuja E, et al (2007). Side effects of approved molecular targeted therapies in solid cancers. Oncologist, 12, 1443-55. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.12-12-1443
- World Health Organization (2015). retrieved from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/
- Xie Y and Minna J (2008) Predicting the future for people with lung cancer. Nature Med, 14, 812-813. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm0808-812
- Yang P, Allen MS, Aubry MC, et al (2005). Clinical Features of 5, 628 Primary Lung Cancer Patients: Experience at Mayo Clinic from 1997 to 2003. Chest, 128, 452-62. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.128.1.452
- Horn L, Pao W, Johnson DH. (2012). Chapter 89. In Longo, DL; Kasper, DL, Jamerson, JL, Fauci, AS, Hauser, SL, Loscalzo, J, Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (18th ed.). McGraw-Hill.
- Hospital Foundation of Taiwan (2015). Hospice and Palliative Care in Taiwan, retrieved from http://www.hospice.org.tw/2009/english/index.php .
- John LD (2010). Self-care strategies used by patients with lung cancer to promote quality of life. Oncol Nurs Forum, 37, 339-47. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.339-347
- Kamangar F, Dores GM, Anderson WF (2006) Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the world. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2137-50. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.05.2308
- Kaur M, Agarwal C, and Agarwal R (2009). Anticancer and cancer chemopreventive potential of grape seed extract and other grape-based products1-3. The J Nutr, 139, 1806-12. https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.109.106864
- Koo Foundation Sun Yat-Sen Cancer Center (2015). Retrieved from: http://www.kfsyscc.org/research-and-edu/clinicalpractice/lung-cancer/
- Kwon YC, Yun YH, Lee KH, et al (2006) Symptoms in the lives of terminal cancer patients: which is the most important? Oncol, 71, 69-76. https://doi.org/10.1159/000100450
- Lee CH, Ko YC, Cheng L, et al (2001). The heterogeneity in risk factors of lung cancer and the difference of histologic distribution between genders in Taiwan. Cancer Cause Control, 12, 289-300. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1011270521900
- Lincoln Y and Guba E, (1985). Naturalistic Enquiry. London, England: Sage.
- Littlem AG, Gaym EG, Gasparm LE, et al (2007) National survey of non-small cell lung cancer in the United States: epidemiology, pathology and patterns of care. Lung Cancer, 57, 253-60 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2007.03.012
- Lu C, Onn A, Vaporciyan AA, et al (2010). "78: Cancer of the Lung". Holland-Frei Cancer Medicine (8th ed.). People's Medical Publishing House.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2015). Cause of death statistics in 2014. Retrieved from http://www.mohw.gov.tw/cht/Ministry/DM2_P.aspx?f_list_no=7andfod_list_no=5313anddoc_no=49778
- Ministry of Transportation and Communications ROC (2015). 2014 Statistics of transportation. http://stat.motc.gov.tw/mocdb/stmain.jsp?sys=100
- Molina JR, Yang P, Cassivi SD, et al (2008). Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Epidemiology, Risk Factors, Treatment, and Survivorship. Mayo Clin Proc, 83, 584-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-6196(11)60735-0
- Mosher CE, Ott MA, Hanna N, et al (2015). Coping with physical and psychological symptoms: a qualitative study of advanced lung cancer patients and their family caregivers. Supp Care Cancer, 23, 2053-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-014-2566-8
- Navada S, Lai P, Schwartz, AG, et al (2006). Temporal trends in small cell lung cancer: analysis of the national surveillance epidemiology and end-results (SEER). J Clin Oncol, 24, 384.
- Nolina JR, Yang P, Cassivi SD, et al (2008). Non-small cell lung cancer: epidemiology, risk factors, treatment, and survivorship. Mayo Clin Proc, 83, 584-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0025-6196(11)60735-0
- American Cancer Society. (2015). Cancer facts and figures, 2015. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/facts/pdf/Us_Cancer_Facts.pdf
- American Institute in Taiwan (2015). Taiwan 2013 International Religious Freedom Report. http://www.ait.org.tw/en/officialtext-ot1407.html
- American Lung Association (2015). Nutrition. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/lung-cancer/treating-lung-cancer/a-lifechange/nutrition.html
- Beckles MA, Spiro SG, Colice GL, et al (2003). Initial evaluation of the patient with lung cancer: symptoms, signs, laboratory tests, and paraneoplastic syndromes. Chest, 123, 97-104. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.123.1_suppl.97S
- Carelle N, Piotto RE, Bellanger A, et al (2002). Changing patient perceptions of the side effects of cancer chemotherapy. Cancer, 95, 155-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10630
- Chen KY, Hsiao CF, Chang GC, et al (2013). GFR polymorphisms, hormone replacement therapy and lung adenocarcinoma risk: analysis from a genome-wide association study in neversmoking women. Carcinogenesis, 34, 612-9 https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgs385
- Chen YC, Ho HO, Su CH, et al (2010). Anticancer effects of taiwanofungus camphoratus extracts, isolated compounds and its combinational use. J Exp Clin Med, 2, 274-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jecm.2010.08.003
- Couraud S, Zalcman G, Millero B, et al (2012). Lung cancer in never smokers - a Review. Eur J Cancer, 48, 1299-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.03.007
- Curado MP, Edwards B, Shin HR, et al (2007):Cancer incidence in five continents, Vol. IX, in IARC scientific publications, No. 160. Lyon, France.
- Ellis PM and Vandermeer R. (2011). Delays in the diagnosis of lung cancer. J Thorac Dis, 3, 183-8.
- Eustache C, Jibb E and Grossman M (2014). Exploring hope and healing in patients living with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum, 41, 497-508. https://doi.org/10.1188/14.ONF.497-508
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, et al. ( 2015). Globocan 2012: Estimated Cancer Incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2012.
- Goldstraw P, Crowley J, Chansky K, et al (2007). The IASLC Lung cancer staging project: proposals for the revision of the TNM stage groupings in the forthcoming (seventh) edition of the TNM Classification of malignant tumors. J Thorac Oncol, 2, 706-14. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e31812f3c1a
- Gregurek R, Bras M, Dordevic V, et al (2010). Psychological problems of patients with cancer. Psychiatr Danub, 22, 227-230
- Health Promotion Administration, Ministry of Health and Welfare (2015). Retrieved from http://health99.hpa.gov.tw/Hot_News/h_NewsDetailN.aspx?TopIcNo=7001
- Adamsen L, Stage M, Laursen J, et al (2012). Exercise and relaxation intervention for patients with advanced lung cancer: a qualitative feasibility study. Scand J Med Sci, 22, 804-815. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2011.01323.x
- Alberg AJ, Ford JG, Samet JM (2007) Epidemiology of lung cancer: ACCP evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest, 132, 29-55. https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.07-1347