- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Poor Knowledge and Practice Towards Breast Cancer among Women in Baghdad City, Iraq
- Hasan, Tiba Nezar ;
- Shah, Shamsul Azhar ;
- Hassan, Mohd Rohaizat ;
- Safian, Nazarudin ;
- Azhar, Zahir Izuan ;
- Syed Abdul Rahim, Syed Sharizman ;
- Ghazi, Hasanain Faisal
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers among females worldwide. The aim of this study was to assess the knowledge and practice about breast cancer and its related factors among women in Baghdad city, Iraq. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted among 508 women aged 18 to 55 years from four non-governmental organizations (NGO) in Baghdad city, Iraq. A self-administered questionnaire on breast cancer knowledge and practice was distributed to participants during weekly activity of the NGO. Results: A total of 61.2% of the respondents had poor knowledge, only 30.3% performed breast self-examination (BSE) and 41.8% said that they did not know the technique to perform BSE. Associations between knowledge and marital status and age were significant. For practice, working status, education, age and family income were significant. After controlling for cofounders, the most important contributing factors for poor knowledge among respondents were marital status and not performing BSE, with adjusted odds ratio of 1.6 and 1.8 respectively. Conclusions: Breast cancer knowledge and practice of BSE are poor among women in Baghdad city, Iraq. More promotion regarding breast cancer signs and symptoms and also how to perform BSE should be conducted using media such as television and internet as these constituted the main sources of information for most women in our study.
Breast cancer;knowledge;practice;BSE;Baghdad city;Iraq
- Ahmed BA (2010). Awareness and practice of breast cancer and breast self examination among university students in Yemen. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 101-5.
- Akram W (2009). Screening of breast mass in Iraqi females: Al-Kinday hospital breast clinic. Am J Inf Dis, 5, 320-3. https://doi.org/10.3844/ajidsp.2009.320.323
- Alam A (2006). Knowledge of breast cancer and its risk and protective factors among women in Riyadh. Ann Saudi Med, 26, 272-7
- Al-Hashimi MM, Wang XJ (2014). Breast cancer in Iraq, Incedince trends from 2000-2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 281-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.1.281
- Alwan, NAS (2010). Breast cancer: demographic characteristics and clinico-pathological presentation of patients in Iraq. East Mediterr Health J, 16, 1159-64.
- Alwan NA, Al-Attar WM, Eliessa RA, Madfaie ZA, Tawfeeq FN (2012). Knowledge, attitude and practice regarding breast cancer and breast self-examination among a sample of the educated population in Iraq. East Mediterr Health J, 18, 337-45.
- Al-Qattan M, Al Saleh K, Al-Musallam S, Masoud G (2008). Knowledge and factors affecting breast self examination. Kuwait Med J, 40, 103-9
- Al-Sharbatti SS, Shaikh RB, Mathew E, Salman Al-Biate MA (2013). Breast self examination practice and breast cancer risk perception among female university students in Ajman. Asia Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4919-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4919
- Bener A, Alwash R, Miller C, Denic S, Dunn E, (2001). Knowledge, attitudes, and practices related to breast cancer screening: a survey of Arab women. J Cancer Educ, 16, 215-20
- Bener A, El Ayoubi H, Moore M, et al (2009). Do we need to maximize the breast cancer screening awareness? experience with an endogamous society with high fertility. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1-6.
- Cam O, Gvmvs A (2009). Breast cancer screening behaviour in Turkish women: relationships with health beliefs and self-esteem, body, perception and hopelessness. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 49-54.
- Dundar PE, Ozmen D, Ozturk B (2006). The knowledge and attitudes of breast self-examination and mammography in a group of women in a rural area in western Turkey. BMC Cancer, 6, 43 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-43
- Erbil N, Bolukbas N (2012). Beliefs, attitudes, and behavior of turkish women about breast cancer and breast selfexamination according to a Turkish version of the champion health belief model scale. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5823-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5823
- Iraqi Cancer Board (2010). Iraqi cancer registry 2008. baghdad, ministry of health.
- Jahan S, Al-Saigul AM, Abdelgadir MH (2006). Breast cancer. Knowledge, attitudes and practices of breast self examination among women in qassim region of saudi arabia. Saudi Med J, 27, 1737-41.
- Khazaee-Pool M, Ali Montazeri, Fereshteh Majlessi, et al (2014). Breast cancer-preventive behaviors: exploring Iranian women's experiences. BMC Women's Health, 14, 41. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6874-14-41
- Mahfouz AA, Mervat HA, Hassanein, et al (2013). Breast cancer knowledge and related behaviors among women in abha city, southwestern saudi arabia. j cancer educat, 28, 516-20 https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-013-0495-8
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Harirchi I, et al (2008). Breast cancer in Iran: need for greater women awareness of warning signs and effective screening methods. Asia Pac Fam Med, 7, 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1447-056X-7-6
- Okobia MN, Clareann H, Bunker, et al (2006). Knowledge, attitude and practice of Nigerian women towards breast cancer: A cross-sectional study. World J Surg Oncol, 4, 11 https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-4-11
- Parkin DM, Fernandez LM (2206). Use of statistics to assess the global burden of breast cancer. Breast, 12, 70-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1075-122X.2006.00205.x
- Parsa PK, Andiah M (2005). Breast cancer knowledge, perception and breast self-examination practices among Iranian women. Int Med J, 4, 17-24.
- Seif N, Aziz M, (2000). Effect of breast self-examination training program on knowledge, attitude and practice of a group of working women. J Egypt Natl Canc Inst, 12, 105-15.
- World Health Organization: Cancer. [http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en]. accessed 30.12.2013
- Yavari, P Pourhoseingholi, MA (2007). socioeconomic factors association with knowledge and practice of breast selfexamination among Iranian women. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 618-22.
- Yip CH, Smith RA, Anderson BO, et al (2008). Guideline implementation for breast healthcare in low- and middleincome countries: early detection resource allocation. breast health global initiative early detection panel. Cancer, 113, 2244-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23842
- Rural Women's Awareness about Breast Cancer in Southeastern Iran: a Cross-Sectional Study vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.1875
- Knowledge and Source of Information About Early Detection Techniques of Breast Cancer Among Women in Iran: A Systematic Review vol.23, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.15430/JCP.2018.23.1.51
Supported by : Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre