- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Male Breast Cancer: 20 Years Experience of a Tertiary Hospital from the Middle Black Sea Region of Turkey
- Serarslan, Alparslan ;
- Gursel, Bilge ;
- Okumus, Nilgun Ozbek ;
- Meydan, Deniz ;
- Sullu, Yurdanur ;
- Gonullu, Guzin
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: Male breast cancer is a rare neoplasm, and its treatments are based on those of female breast cancer. This study aimed to analyze 20 years of male breast cancer clinical characteristics and treatment results from the Middle Black Sea Region of Turkey. Materials and Methods: A retrospective analysis of 16 male breast cancer patients treated in our tertiary hospital between 1994 and 2014 was performed. Epidemiologic data, tumor characteristics, and treatments were recorded and compared with 466 female breast cancer ((premenopausal; n = 230) + (postmenopausal n = 236)) patients. The 5-year disease-free and overall survival rates were calculated. Results: Male breast cancer constituted 0.1% of all malignant neoplasms in both sexes, 0.2% of all malignant neoplasms in males, and 0.7% of all breast cancers. The mean patient age in this study was
Epidemiology;male breast cancer;pathology;treatment outcome;Turkey
- Adibelli ZH, Oztekin O, Postaci H, Uslu A (2009). The diagnostic accuracy of mammography and ultrasound in the evaluation of male breast disease: a new algorithm. Breast Care, 4, 255-9. https://doi.org/10.1159/000226284
- Adibelli ZH, Oztekin O, Gunhan-Bilgen I, et al (2010). Imaging characteristics of male breast disease. Breast J, 16, 510-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2010.00951.x
- Arslan UY, Oksuzoglu B, Ozdemir N, et al (2012). Outcome of non-metastatic male breast cancer: 118 patients. Med Oncol, 29, 554-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-011-9978-9
- Atahan L, Yildiz F, Selek U, Sari S, Gurkaynak M (2006). Postoperative radiotherapy in the treatment of male breast carcinoma: a single institute experience. J Natl Med Assoc, 98, 559-63.
- Bagley CS, Wesley MN, Young RC, Lippman ME (1987). Adjuvant chemotherapy in males with cancer of the breast. Am J Clin Oncol, 10, 55-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000421-198702000-00013
- Chakravarthy A, Kim CR (2002). Post-mastectomy radiation in male breast cancer. Radiother Oncol, 65, 99-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8140(02)00210-4
- Clarke M, Collins R, Darby S, et al (2005). Early Breast Cancer Trialists' Collaborative Group (EBCTCG). Effects of radiotherapy and of differences in the extent of surgery for early breast cancer on local recurrence and 15-year survival: an overview of the randomised trials. Lancet, 366, 2087-106. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67887-7
- Cutuli B (2007). Strategies in treating male breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 8, 193-202. https://doi.org/10.1517/14656522.214.171.124
- Cutuli B, Le-Nir CC, Serin D, et al (2010). Male breast cancer. Evolution of treatment and prognostic factors. Analysis of 489 cases. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol, 73, 246-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2009.04.002
- Dabakuyo TS, Dialla O, Gentil J, et al (2012). Breast cancer in men in Cote d'Or (France): epidemiological characteristics, treatments and prognostic factors. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 21, 809-16. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2012.01365.x
- Engin K, Unsal M (1993). Cancer of the male breast: the Turkish experience. J Surg Oncol, 53, 128-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.2930530216
- Erkin O, Ardahan M (2014). Breast cancer and breast selfexamination in stamps history. Lokman Hekim Journal, 4, 22-8.
- Fentiman IS, Fourquet A, Hortobagyi GN (2006). Male breast cancer. Lancet, 367, 595-604. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(06)68226-3
- Fentiman IS (2009). Male breast cancer: a review. Ecancermedicalscience, 3, 140.
- Fogh S, Hirsch AE, Langmead JP, et al (2011). Use of tamoxifen with postsurgical irradiation may improve survival in estrogen and progesterone receptor-positive male breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer, 11, 39-45. https://doi.org/10.3816/CBC.2011.n.007
- Gennari R, Curigliano G, Jereczek-Fossa BA, et al (2004). Male breast cancer: a special therapeutic problem. Anything new? (Review). Int J Oncol, 24, 663-70.
- Giordano SH, Cohen DS, Buzdar AU, Perkins G, Hortobagyi GN (2004). Breast carcinoma in men: a population-based study. Cancer, 101, 51-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20312
- Giordano SH (2005). A review of the diagnosis and management of male breast cancer. Oncologist, 10, 471-9. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.10-7-471
- Gomez-Raposo C, Zambrana Tevar F, Sereno Moyano M, Lopez Gomez M, Casado E (2010). Male breast cancer. Cancer Treat Rev, 36, 451-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2010.02.002
- Goss PE, Reid C, Pintilie M, Lim R, Miller N (1999). Male breast carcinoma: a review of 229 patients who presented to the Princess Margaret Hospital during 40 years: 1955-1996. Cancer, 85, 629-39. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19990201)85:3<629::AID-CNCR13>3.0.CO;2-V
- Gradishar WJ, Anderson BO, Balassanian R, et al (2015). Breast cancer version 2.2015. J Natl Compr Canc Netw, 13, 448-75.
- Gunhan-Bilgen I, Bozkaya H, Ustun E, Memis A (2002). Male breast disease: clinical, mammographic, and ultrasonographic features. Eur J Radiol, 43, 246-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0720-048X(01)00483-1
- Hayashi H, Kimura M, Yoshimoto N, et al (2009). A case of HER2-positive male breast cancer with lung metastases showing a good response to trastuzumab and paclitaxel treatment. Breast Cancer, 16, 136-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12282-008-0060-1
- Haydaroglu A, Dubova S, Ozsaran Z, et al (2005). Breast cancer in Ege University “evaluation of 3897 cases”. J Breast Health, 1, 6-11.
- Hayes TG (2009). Pharmacologic treatment of male breast cancer. Expert Opin Pharmacother, 10, 2499-510. https://doi.org/10.1517/14656560903200634
- Nordman IC, Dalley DN (2008). Breast cancer in men: should aromatase inhibitors become first-line hormonal treatment? Breast J, 14, 562-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4741.2008.00648.x
- Ozmen V (2014). Breast cancer in Turkey: clinical and histopathological characteristics (Analysis of 13.240 Patients). J Breast Health, 10, 98-105. https://doi.org/10.5152/tjbh.2014.1988
- Patten DK, Sharifi LK, Fazel M (2013). New approaches in the management of male breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer, 13, 309-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2013.04.003
- Reis LO, Dias FG, Castro MA, Ferreira U (2011). Male breast cancer. Aging Male, 14, 99-109. https://doi.org/10.3109/13685538.2010.535048
- Ribeiro GG, Swindell R, Harris M, Banerjee SS, Cramer A (1996). A review of the management of the male breast carcinoma based on an analysis of 420 treated cases. The Breast, 5, 141-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-9776(96)90058-2
- Selcukbiricik F, Tural D, Aydogan F, et al (2013). Male breast cancer: 37-year data study at a single experience center in Turkey. J Breast Cancer, 16, 60-5. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.1.60
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A (2012). Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin, 62, 10-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20138
- Sipetic-Grujicic SB, Murtezani ZH, Neskovic-Konstatinovic ZB, et al (2014). Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors in male breast cancer in Serbia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 3233-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3233
- Somerville P (1952). Carcinoma of the male breast; a report of 19 cases and a review of the literature. Br J Surg, 39, 296-303. https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.18003915603
- Yildirim E, Berberoglu U (1998). Male breast cancer: a 22-year experience. Eur J Surg Oncol, 24, 548-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0748-7983(98)93608-3
- Zygogianni AG, Kyrgias G, Gennatas C, et al (2012). Male breast carcinoma: epidemiology, risk factors and current therapeutic approaches. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 15-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.015
- A comparison of tumour size measurements with palpation, ultrasound and mammography in male breast cancer: first results of the prospective register study vol.144, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00432-017-2554-8