- Volume 16 Issue 15
Background: Smoking is one of the most preventable causes of disease and death, including cancer, and quitting at an early age can reduce smoking-related morbidity and mortality. This study aimed to estimate the prevalence and to identify factors affecting the "intention to quit" among intermediate and secondary school current cigarette smoker students in Al Madinah city, Saudi Arabia. Materials and Methods: This study cohort included 307 current smoker students in a school-based survey. The intention to quit and its related determinants were assessed using a self-administered questionnaire. Results: More than half of the participants were
Intention to quit;smoking cessation;students;youth;Saudi Arabia
- Agaku I, Akinyele AO, Omaduvie UT (2012). Evaluation of factors influencing intention to quit smokeless and cigarette tobacco use among Nigerian adolescents. Niger Med J, 53, 31-6. https://doi.org/10.4103/0300-1652.99829
- Al Moamary MS (2010). Tobacco consumption, Is still a dilemma? Ann Thoraces Med, 5, 193-4. https://doi.org/10.4103/1817-1737.69103
- Al-Mobeireek A (2011). Smoking, once again. Ann Thorac Med, 6, 46.
- Aung AT, Hickman NJ III, Moolchan ET (2003). Health and performance related reasons for wanting to quit, gender differences among teen smokers. Subst Use Misuse, 38, 1095-107. https://doi.org/10.1081/JA-120017652
- Brown KS, Pederson LL (1996). Smoking cessation. in, stephens T, Morin M, eds. Youth smoking survey, 1994, technical report. Ottawa, Canada, Ministry of Supply and Services Canada.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (2012), Office of the surgeon general (US), office on smoking and health (us). preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults, a report of the surgeon general [Atlanta, GA]. [http,//www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/sgr/2012/] (Accessed 9 July 2015).
- Chan S, Wong D, Leung A, et al (2009). Initiative to support young female smokers in Hong Kong, using gender-specific strategies in the Youth Quitline. The Net. International Network of Women Against Tobacco, March, 12-4.
- David CN Wong, Sophia SC Chan, Sai-Yin Ho, et al (2010). Predictors of intention to quit smoking among Hong Kong secondary school children. J Public Health, 32, 360-371. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdp125
- Engels RCMC, Knibbe RA, de Vries H, Drop MJ (1998). Antecedents of smoking cessation among adolescents, who is motivated to change? Prec Med, 27, 348-57. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.1998.0304
- Fagan P, Augustson E, Backinger CL (2007). Quit attempts and intention to quit cigarette smoking among youth adults in the United States. Am J Public Health, 97, 1412-20. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.103697
- Haddad LG, Petro-Nusras W (2006). Predictors of intention to quit smoking among Jordanian university students. Can J Public Health, 97, 9-13.
- Hyland A, Borland R, Li Q, Cummings K M, et al (2006). Individual-level predictors of cessation behaviours among participants in the International Tobacco Control (ITC) Four Country Survey. Tob Control, 15, 83-94. https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2003.007237
- Kyoungwoo Kim, Taiwoo Yoo, Yeonju Kim, et al (2014). Association between Cigarette Smoking History and Mortality in 36,446 Health Examinees in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5685-9. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.14.5685
- Lai MK, Ho SY, Lam TH (2004). Perceived peer smoking prevalence and its association with smoking behaviours and intentions in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. Addiction, 99, 1195-205. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2004.00797.x
- Leatherdale ST (2008). What modifiable factors are associated with cessation intentions among smoking youth? Addict Behav, 33, 217-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2007.09.007
- Mackay J and Eriksen M (2002). The Tobacco Atlas. World Health Organization, Geneva. [http, //www.who.int/tobacco/resources/publications/tobacco_atlas/en/] (Accessed 16 July 2015).
- Mohammed H AL-Doghether (2004). Smoking cessation interventions, behavioural interventions. Middle East J Family Med, 2, [Epub ahead of print]
- Moh'd Al-Mulla A, Abdou Helmy S, Al-Lawati J, et al (2008). Prevalence of tobacco use among students aged 13-15 years in health ministers' council/gulf cooperation council member states, 2001-2004. J Sch Health, 78, 337-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1746-1561.2008.00311.x
- Nisha Shantakumari, Jayakumary Muttappallymyalil, Lisha Jenny John, Jayadevan Sreedharan (2015). Cigarette Alternatives, Are they Safe? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 358790.
- Pecmann C, Reibling E (2006). Antismoking advertisements for youth, an independent evaluation of health, counter-industry, and industry approaches. Am J Public Health, 96, 906-13. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.057273
- Rajmohan Panda, Sudhir Venkatesan, Divya Persai, Mayur Trivedi, Manu Raj Mathur (2014). Factors determining intention to quit tobacco, exploring patient responses visiting public health facilities in India. Tobacco Induced Diseases, 12, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1617-9625-12-1
- Reichert J, Araujo AJ, Goncalves CM, et al (2008). Smoking cessation guidelines-2008. J Bras Pneumol, 34, 845-80. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-37132008001000014
- Savvides EC, Christophi CA, Paisi M, et al (2014). Factors associated with intent to quit tobacco use in Cyprus adolescents. Prev Med, 60, 83-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.12.016
- Stockings E, Bowman J, McElwaine K, et al (2012). Readiness to quit smoking and quit attempts among Australian mental health inpatients. Nicotine Tob Res, 15, 942-49.
- Thomas R (2002). School-based programmes for preventing smoking. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 4, 1293.
- Vidal PM, Cerveira JM, Paccaud F, et al (2011). Prevalence and factors associated with difficulty and intention to quit smoking in Switzerland. BMC Public Health, 11, 11-227. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-11
- Warren C, Jones N, Peruga A, et al (2008). Global youth tobacco surveillance, 2000-2007. MMWR Surveill Summ, 57, 1-28
- Woodruff SI, Joann L, Conway TL (2006). Smoking and quitting history correlates of readiness to quit in multiethnic adolescents. Am J Health Behav, 30, 663-74. https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.30.6.12
- World Health Organization (1998), Tobacco free initiative, the global youth tobacco survey (GYTS) questionnaire. [http,//www.who.int/tobacco/surveillance/gyts/en/]. (Accessed 9 July 2015).
- World Health Organization (2014). Adolescents, health risks and solutions, fact sheet N 345. [http, //www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs345/en/] (Accessed 9 July 2015).
- Yu-Jin Paek, Sungkyu Lee,Yun-Hee Kim, et al (2014). Effect on smoking quit rate of telling smokers their health risk appraisal in terms of health age, a randomized control trial. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4963-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4963
- Prevalence of Cigarette Smoking and Associated Factors among Male Citizens in Tehran, Iran vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.3.1473
- International Approaches to Tobacco-Use Cessation Programs and Policy for Adolescents and Young Adults in Saudi Arabia vol.5, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40429-018-0188-9