- Volume 16 Issue 15
DOI QR Code
Serum Level of Matrix Metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in Patients with Laryngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Clinical Significance
Lotfi, Alireza;Mohammadi, Ghodrat;Saniee, Lale;Mousaviagdas, Mehrnoosh;Chavoshi, Hadi;Tavassoli, Atena
- Published : 2015.10.06
Background: Laryngeal cancer is an important malignancy in head and neck area and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is the most common type accounting for 95% of cases. Increase in matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in different tumors and their correlation with tumor invasiveness has been documented. However, most studies have evaluated MMP-2 and MMP-9 expression and few have evaluated serum levels. The aim of current study was to evaluate serum levels in patients with laryngeal SCC compared to normal subjects and assess any relation with tumor clinicopathological findings. Materials and Methods: In this case control study, 20 patients with oral SCC and 20 healthy subjects were included. Serum levels of MMP-2 and MMP-9 were compared between groups and correlations with findings including grade (T) and node involvement (N) were evaluated. Results: Patients with laryngeal SCC had significantly higher serum levels of MMP-2 (p=0.01) and MMP-9 (p=0.03) compared to healthy subjects. Patients with higher T stage (T3,4) had significantly higher MMP-2 (p=0.04) and MMP-9 (p=0.01). There was significant positive correlation between serum levels of MMP-2 with T stage (r=0.45, p=0.04) and lymph node involvement (r=0.563, p=0.01) and between levels of MMP-9 with T stage (r=0.527, p=0.01). Conclusions: Our results showed that compared to healthy subjects, both MMP-2 and MMP-9 are significantly increased in serum of laryngeal SCC cases. MMP-2 was correlated with lymph node involvement while MMP-9 has stronger correlation with T stage compared to MMP-2.
Squamous cell carcinoma;matrix metalloproteinase 2;matrix metalloproteinase 9
- Akdeniz O, Akduman D, Haksever M, Ozkarakas H, Muezzinoglu B (2013). Relationships between clinical behavior of laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas and expression of VEGF, MMP-9 and E-cadherin. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 5301-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.9.5301
- Cao XL, Xu RJ, Zheng YY (2011). Expression of type IV collagen, metalloproteinase-2, metalloproteinase-9 and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase-1 in laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3245-9.
- Christopoulos TA, Papageorgakopoulou N, Theocharis DA, et al (2006). Hyaluronidase and CD44 hyaluronan receptor expression in squamous cell laryngeal carcinoma. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1760, 1039-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2006.03.019
- Christopoulos TA, Papageorgakopoulou N, Theocharis DA, et al (2004). Diagnostic and classification value of metalloproteinases in squamous human laryngeal carcinoma. Int J Oncol, 25, 481-5.
- Colovic Z, Pesutic-Pisac V, Poljak NK, et al (2013). Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the Larynx. Coll Antropol, 37, 151-5.
- Ferlay J, Parkin DM, Steliarova-Foucher E (2010). Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2008. Eur J Cancer, 46, 765-81 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.12.014
- Gou XX, Jin F, Chen HX (2010). Expressions of CD147, MMP-2 and MMP-9 in laryngeal carcinoma and clinical significance. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, 90, 1264-7.
- Knapinska A, Fields GB (2012). Chemical biology for understanding matrix metalloproteinase function. Chembiochem, 13, 2002-20. https://doi.org/10.1002/cbic.201200298
- Kondakova IV, Klisho EV, savenkova OV (2008). Matrix metalloproteinase 2 and 9 as the factor of head and neck tumor metastasis. Biomed Khim, 54, 555-60.
- Krecicki T, Zalesska-Krecicka M, Jelen M, Szkudlarek T, Horobiowska M (2001). Expression of type IV collagen and matrix metalloproteinase-2 (type IV collagenase) in relation to nodal status in laryngeal cancer. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci, 26, 469-72 https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0307-7772.2001.00503.x
- Lotfi A, Mohammadi G, Tavassoli A, et al (2015). Serum levels of MMP9 and MMP2 in patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1327-30. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1327
- Lin Y, Zhang J, Liu S, et al (2012) [Significance expression and relationships with endothelin-1, matrix metalloproteinase-9 in the laryngeal carcinoma]. Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi, 26, 245-7.
- Liotta LA (1986). Tumor invasion and metastases - role of the extracellular matrix: rhoads memorial award lecture. Cancer Res, 46, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-230X(08)60034-2
- Mallis A, Teymoortash A, Mastronikolis NS (2012). MMP-2 expression in 102 patients with glottic laryngeal cancer. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 269, 639-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-011-1625-8
- Marioni G, Marchese-Ragona R, Cartei G, Marchese F, Staffieri A (2006). Current opinion in diagnosis and treatment of laryngeal carcinoma. Cancer Treat Rev, 32, 504-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctrv.2006.07.002
- Pereira AC, Dias do Carmo E, Dias da Silva MA, Blumer Rosa LE (2012). Matrix metalloproteinase gene polymorphisms and oral cancer. J Clin Exp Dent, 4, 297-301.
- Peschos D, Damala C, Stefanou D, et al (2006). Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (gelatinase B) in benign, premalignant and malignant laryngeal lesions. Histol Histopathol, 21, 603-8.
- Ramroth H, Schoeps A, Rudolph E, et al (2011). Factors predicting survival after diagnosis of laryngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 47, 1154-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2011.08.003
- Rosenthal EL, Matrisian LM (2006). Matrix metalloproteinases in head and neck cancers. Head Neck, 10, 639-648.
- Shuman Moss LA, Jensen-Taubman S, Stetler-Stevenson WG (2012) Matrix metalloproteinases: changing roles in tumor progression and metastasis. Am J Pathol, 181, 1895-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajpath.2012.08.044
- Sun C, Xin D, Wang Y (2007). The expression of MMP-2, E-cadherin in supraglottic carcinoma and their relationship with cervical lymph node metastasis. Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi, 21, 834-7.
- Tang X, Shen X, Qian X, Gao X (2013). [Expressions of HMGB1, MMP-2 and MMP-9 and prognostic alue in human laryngeal carcinoma]. Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi, 27, 181-7.
- Uloza V, Liutkevicius V, Pangonyte D, Saferis V, Lesauskaite V (2011). Expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMP- 2 and MMP-9) in recurrent respiratory papillomas and laryngeal carcinoma: clinical and morphological parallels. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 268, 871-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-011-1494-1
- Wang X, Shan Y, Wang J, Luo S (2006). [Expression and clinical significance of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma]. Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi, 20, 1109-10.
- Wittekindt C, Jovanovic N, Guntinas-Lichius O (2011). Expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) and blood vessel density in laryngeal squamous cell carcinomas. Acta Otolaryngol, 131, 101-6. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016489.2010.506886
- Yu TY, Pang JH, Wu KP, et al (2013). Aging is associated with increased activities of matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in tenocytes. BMC Musculoskelet Disord, 14, 2. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-14-2