- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Protective Role of Selenium and High Dose Vitamin E against Cisplatin - Induced Nephrotoxicty in Rats
- Aksoy, Asude ;
- Karaoglu, Aziz ;
- Akpolat, Nusret ;
- Naziroglu, Mustafa ;
- Ozturk, Turkan ;
- Karagoz, Zuhal Karaca
- Published : 2015.11.04
Background: Cisplatin (CDDP) is one of the most active cytotoxic agents in the treatment of cancer. We investigated the effect of selenium (Se) with high dose vitamin E (VE) administration to prevent CDDP-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Materials and Methods: In this study, 40 female Wistar rats were randomly divided into five equal groups. The first group, which served as the control, was administered physiological saline (2.5 cc/day, 5 days) intraperitoneally (IP), while group A was administered cisplatin (6 mg/kg BW/ single dose) plus physiological saline IP. Groups B, C, D received IP five doses of Se (1.5 mg/kg BW), and a high dose of VE (1000 mg/kg BW) (Se-VE) in combination before, simultaneously, and after CDDP, respectively. The rats were sacrificed five days after CDDP administration. Plasma malondialdehide (MDA), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), reduced glutathione (GSH), catalase, urea, creatinine levels, renal histopathological changes were measured. Results: The histopathological injury score, plasma levels of MDA, urea, creatinine were found to increase in group A compared to the control (p<0.05), while plasma levels of GSH-Px, GSH and catalase decreased (p<0.05). In contrast, plasma levels of MDA decreased (p<0.05) in groups B, C, D, which were treated with Se- VE, whereas levels of GSH-Px, GSH were found to increase only for group D (p<0.05). Plasma urea, creatinine levels improved in the treatment groups compared to group A (p<0.001). Histopathological changes caused by CDDP were also significantly improved after Se-VE treatment (p<0.05). Conclusions: Oxidative stress increases with CDDP-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Se-VE supplementation might thus play a role in the prevention of CDDP-induced nephrotoxicity in patients.
Cisplatin-induced nephropathy;oxidative stress;vitamin E;selenium
- Abdel Moneim AE, Othman MS (2014). Azadirachta indica attenuates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress. Biomed Res Int, 647131.
- Aebi H (1983). Methods in enzymatic analysis. in catalase, bergmeyer HU (Ed.), academic press, New York, 3, 276-86.
- Antunes LM, Darin JD, Bianchi N de L. (2001). Effects of the antioxidants curcumin or selenium on cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and lipid peroxidation in rats. Pharmacol Res Feb, 43, 145-150. https://doi.org/10.1006/phrs.2000.0724
- Arsenyan P, Paegle E, Domracheva I, Gulbe A, Kanepe-Lapsa I (2014). Shestakova i. selenium analogues of raloxifene as promising antiproliferative agents in treatment of breast cancer. Eur J Med Chem, 87, 471- 83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2014.09.088
- Arunkumar PA, Viswanatha GL, Radheshyam N, et al (2012). Science behind cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in humans: a clinical study. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed, 2, 640- 44. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2221-1691(12)60112-9
- Atessahin A, Yilmaz S, Karahan I, et al (2005). Effects of lycopene against cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress in rats. Toxicol, 212, 116-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tox.2005.04.016
- Brigelius-Flohe R, Kipp A (2009). Glutathione peroxidases in different stages of carcinogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1790, 1555- 68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2009.03.006
- Chirino, YI, Hernandez-Pando R, Pedraza-Chaverri J (2004). Peroxynitrite decomposition catalyst ameliorates renal damage and protein nitration in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. BMC Pharmacol, 4, 20-29. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2210-4-20
- Dimri K, Pandey AK, Trehan R, et al (2013). Conventional radiotherapy with concurrent weekly Cisplatin in locally advanced head and neck cancers of squamous cell origin-a single institution experience. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6883-88. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6883
- Erten C, Demir L, Somali I, et al (2013). Cisplatin plus gemcitabine for treatment of breast cancer patients with brain metastases; a preferential option for triple negative patients? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3711-17. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3711
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al (2014). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: Sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012, Int J Cancer, 136, 359-86.
- Fuertes MA, Castilla J, Alanso C, et al (2002). Novel concepts in the development of platinum antitumor drugs. Current Medicinal Chemistry- Anticancer Agents, 2, 539-51. https://doi.org/10.2174/1568011023353958
- Jerome-Morais A, Wright ME, Liu R, Yang W, et al (2012). Inverse association between glutathione peroxidase activity and both selenium-binding protein 1 levels and Gleason score in human prostate tissue. Prostate, 72, 1006-12 https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.21506
- Ji J, Liu J, Liu H, Wang Y (2014). Effects of fermented mushroom of cordyceps sinensis, rich in selenium, on uterine cervix cancer. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2014, 173180.
- Jones DP, Radi R (2014). Redox pioneer: professor helmut sies. Antioxid Redox Signal, 21, 2459-68 https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2014.6037
- Ghorbani A, Omidvar B, Parsi A (2013). Protective effect of selenium on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity: A double blind controlled randomized clinical trial. J Nephropathol, 2, 129-34. https://doi.org/10.5812/nephropathol.10656
- Gupta RK, Singh N (2013). Morinda citrifolia (Noni) alters oxidative stress marker and antioxidant activity in cervical cancer cell lines. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 4603-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4603
- Gurocak S, Karabulut E, Karadag N, et al (2013). Preventive effects of resveratrol against azoxymethane induced damage in rat liver. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 2367-70. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.4.2367
- Ha YS, Lee GT, Kim Y H, et al (2014). Decreased seleniumbinding protein 1 mRNA expression is associated with poor prognosis in renal cell carcinoma. World J Surg Onco, 12, 288. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-12-288
- Wang J, Liu F, Huang DX, et al (2012). Post-operative treatment with cisplatin and vinorelbine in Chinese patients with nonsmall cell lung cancer: a clinical prospective analysis of 451 patients. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4505-10. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.9.4505
- Kappus H, Diplock AT (1992).Tolerance and safety of vitamine E: a toxicological position report. Free Rad Biol Med, 13, 55-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(92)90166-E
- Lawrence RA, Burk RF (1976). Glutathione peroxidase activity in selenium-deficient rat liver. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 71, 952-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-291X(76)90747-6
- Martinis BS, Bianchi M de P (2001). Effect of vitamin c supplementation against cisplatin-induced toxicity and oxidative DNA damage in rats. Pharmacol Res, 44, 317-20. https://doi.org/10.1006/phrs.2001.0860
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979). Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem, 95, 351-58. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Sedlak J, Lindsay RHC (1968). Estimation of total, protein bound and non-protein sulfhydryl groups in tissue with Ellmann’s reagent. Anal Biochem, 25, 192-05. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(68)90092-4
- Tabacco A, Meiattini F, Moda E, et al (1979). Simplified enzymic/colorimetric serum urea nitrogen determination. Clinical Chemistry, 25, 336-37.
- Weijl NI, Elsendoorn, TJ, Lentjes, EG, et al (2004). Supplementation with antioxidant micronutrients and chemotherapy-induced toxicity in cancer patients treated with cisplatin-based hemotherapy: a randomised, double blind, placebo-controlled study. Eur J Cancer, 40, 1713-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2004.02.029
- Ueda T, Mihara Y, Yoshimina K (1986). Mechanism of cisplatinium neprotoxicity. Jpn J Nephrol, 28, 940-42.
- Yokozawa T, Liu ZW (2000).The role of ginsenoside-Rd in cisplatin-induced acute renal failure. Ren Fail, 22, 115-27. https://doi.org/10.1081/JDI-100100858
- Zhao JA, Peng L, Geng CZ, et al (2014). Preventive effect of hydrazine curcumin on carcinogenesis of diethyl nitrosamine-induced hepatocarcinoma in male SD rats. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 2115-21. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2115
- Zhuo P, Diamond AM (2009). Molecular mechanisms by which selenoproteins affect cancer risk and progression. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1790, 1546-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagen.2009.03.004