- Volume 31 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Modification of Sediment Trapping Efficiency Equation of VFS in SWAT Considering the Characteristics of the Agricultural Land in Korea
국내 경작지 특성을 고려한 SWAT 모형의 식생여과대 유사저감 효율 산정식 개선
Han, Jeong Ho;Park, Younshik;Kum, Donghyuk;Jung, Younghun;Jung, Gyo Cheol;Kim, Ki-Sung;Lim, Kyoung Jae
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2015.09.01
- Published : 2015.09.30
In this study, considering the factors that affects sediment trapping efficiency of Vegetative Filter Strips (VFS), the scenarios were designed to develop a regression equation to estimate sediment trapping efficiency of VFS for agricultural fields in South-Korea. For this, general conditions of agricultural fields in South-Korea were investigated. Then, based on these results, total 53,460 scenarios were set and simulated by Vegetative Filter Strip MODel (VFSMOD-w). Two variables were determined from the results of 53,460 scenarios. These two variables were applied to CurveExpert for development of a equation, which can estimate sediment trapping efficiency of VFS. The equation developed in this study can be used in SWAT model for estimation of sediment reduction efficiency of VFS to upland field in Korea. Moreover, it is expected that VFS will be effectively applied to agricultural fields in South-Korea.
Sediment;Sediment reduction;SWAT;Vegetative filter strips;VFSMOD-w
- Bosch, N. S., Allan, J. D., Selegean, J. P., and Scavia, D. (2013). Scenario-testing of Agricultural Best Management Practices in Lake Erie Watersheds, Journal of Great Lakes Research, 39(3), pp. 429-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2013.06.004
- Choi, K. S. and Jang, J. R. (2014). Selection of Appropriate Plant Species of VFS (Vegetative Filter Strip) for Reducing NPS Pollution of Uplands, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 47(10), pp. 913-983. [Korean Literature]
- Dillaha, T. A., Sherrard, J. H., Lee, D., Mostaghimi, S., and Shanholtz, V. O. (1988). Evaluation of Vegetative Filter Strips as a Best Management Practice for Feed Lots, Journal of the Water Pollution Control Federation, pp. 1231-1238.
- Hyams, D. (2011). CurveExpert Professional: documentation, pp. 1-2.
- Jang, B. (2006). The Assessment of Appropriate Runoff CN(CN) According to Basin Characteristics, Master's Thesis, Chungbuk National University, pp. 25-37. [Korean Literature]
- Kim, S. K. and Lee, B. C. (2006). The Status of Nonpoint Pollution Source Management in Urban Area, Korean Society of Civil Engineers, 54(8), pp. 129-136. [Korean Literature]
- Kim, S. S., Kim, J. S., Bang, K. Y., Kwon, E. M., and Jung, U. J. (2002). The Estimation of the Unit Load and Characteristics of Non-point Source Discharge According to Rainfall in Kyongan Watershed, Journal of Korean Society of Environmental Engineers, 24(11), pp. 2019-2027. [Korean Literature]
- Kuo, Y. M. and Munoz-Carpena, R. (2009). Simplified Modeling of Phosphorus Removal by Vegetative Filter Strips to Control Runoff Pollution from Phosphate Mining Areas, Journal of Hydrology, 378(3), pp. 343-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2009.09.039
- Lee, M., Park, G., Park, M., Park, J., Lee, J., and Kim, S. (2010). Evaluation of Non-point Source Pollution Reduction by Applying Best Management Practices using a SWAT Model and QuickBird High Resolution Satellite Imagery, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 22(6), pp. 826-833. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1001-0742(09)60184-4
- Liu, X., Zhang, X., and Zhang, M. (2008). Major Factors Influencing the Efficacy of Vegetated Buffers on Sediment Trapping: A Review and Analysis, Journal of Environmental Quality, 37(5), pp. 1667-1674. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2007.0437
- Ministry of Land Infrastructure Transport. (MLIT). (2012). Korea Precipitation Frequency Data Sever, http://www.k-idf.re.kr (accessed April 2015)
- Mishra, S. K. and Singh, V. P. (2003). Soil Conservation Service CN (SCS-CN) Methodology, Springer Science and Business Media, pp. 42.
- Munoz-Carpena, R. and Parsons, J. E. (2014). Vegetative Filter Strips Modeling System, Model Document & User's Manual, pp. 1-6.
- Munoz-Carpena, R., Parsons, J. E., and Gilliam, J. W. (1999). Modeling Hydrology and Sediment Transport in Vegetative Filter Strips, Journal of Hydrology, 214(1), pp. 111-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(98)00272-8
- National Academy of Agricultural Science. (NAAS). (2015). Agricultural Soil Information System (ASIS), http://soil.rda.go.kr (accessed April 2014)
- Oh, Y. T., Park, J. C., Kim, D. S., and Rhyu, J. G. (2004). Pollutant Characteristics of Nonpoint Source Runoff in Okcheon Stream, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 30(2), pp. 159-165. [Korean Literature]
- Otto, S., Cardinali, A., Marotta, E., Paradisi, C., and Zanin, G. (2012). Effect of Vegetative Filter Strips on Herbicide Runoff under Various Types of Rainfall, Chemosphere, 88(1), pp. 113-119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2012.02.081
- Parajuli, P. B., Mankin, K. R., and Barnes, P. L. (2008). Applicability of Targeting Vegetative Filter Strips to Abate Fecal Bacteria and Sediment Yield using SWAT, Agricultural Water Management, 95(10), pp. 1189-1200. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2008.05.006
- Park, Y. S. and Hyun, G. W. (2014). Optimization of Vegetative Filter Strip using VFSMOD-w model and Genetic-Algorithm, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 30(2), pp. 159-165. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.15681/KSWE.2014.30.2.159
- Park, Y. S., Kim, J. G., Kim, N. W., Kim, K. S., Choi, J. D., and Lim, K. J. (2007). Analysis of Sediment Yields at Watershed Scale using Area/Slope-Based Sediment Delivery Ratio in SATEEC, Journal of Korean Society on Water Environment, 23(5), pp. 650-658. [Korean Literature]
- Patzold, S., Klein, C., and Brummer, G. W. (2007). Run-off Transport of Herbicides During Natural and Simulated Rainfall and Its Reduction by Vegetated Filter Strips, Soil Use and Management, 23(3), pp. 294-305. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-2743.2007.00097.x
- Schmitt, T. J., Dosskey, M. G., and Hoagland, K. D. (1999). Filter Strip Performance and Processes for Different Vegetation, Widths, and Contaminants, Journal of Environmental Quality, 28(5), pp. 1479-1489.
- Shan, N., Ruan, X. H., Xu, J., and Pan, Z. R. (2014). Estimating the Optimal Width of Buffer Strip for Nonpoint Source Pollution Control in the Three Gorges Reservoir Area, China, Ecological Modelling, 276, pp. 51-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2013.12.019
- White, M. J. and Arnold, J. G. (2009). Development of a Simplistic Vegetative Filter Strip Model for Sediment and Nutrient Retention at the Rield Scale, Hydrological Processes, 23(11), pp. 1602-1616. https://doi.org/10.1002/hyp.7291
Supported by : 국토교통부