- Volume 31 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Study on Topsoil Erosion Indices for Efficient Topsoil Management
효율적 표토 관리를 위한 표토침식지표 연구
- Jung, Younghun ;
- Kum, Donghyuk ;
- Han, Jeongho ;
- Jang, Chunhwa ;
- Yang, Jay E ;
- Lim, Kyoung Jae ;
- Kim, Ki-Sung
- Received : 2015.06.15
- Accepted : 2015.09.11
- Published : 2015.09.30
The existing standard for soil erosion risk assessment has limitations in sustainable topsoil management since the fixed criteria are applied to determination of soil erosion risk areas regardless of land use types. It may not be necessary to apply soil erosion best management practices to agricultural areas with high potential of soil erosion because human or economic damage derived from soil erosion might be tiny in that region. Furthermore, the fixed criterion with absolute values can select too many hot spots of soil erosion to conduct efficient soil erosion management. Thus, objective of this study was to suggest the relative criteria using statistical analysis for efficient soil erosion management. In future, the relative indices for soil erosion prevention should be improved to provide a priority of soil erosion management considering economic damage from soil erosion or functional values of soil with quantitative soil erosion. Additional researches will be needed to reflect a regional characteristics and to consider various land use types and different criteria.
Absolute criteria;Relative criteria;Soil erosion;Topsoil;Topsoil erosion indices;Topsoil management
- John, F. B., Andy, J. P., Claire, M., Simon, D. T., Rob, W. S., and Jerry, E. W. (2011). Land use, Soil Erosion, and Sediment Yield at Pinto Lake, California: Comparison of a Simplified USLE Model with the Lake Sediment Record, Journal of Paleolimnology 45, pp. 199-212. doi:10.1007/s10933-010-9491-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10933-010-9491-8
- Junakovaa, N., Klescovaa, Z., Gergelova, M., and Holuba, M. (2014). The Influence of Topographical Factor Calculation on the Estimation of Water Erosion Intensity Using Geographical Information Systems, The 9th International Conference "Environmental Engineering", Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (VGTU) Press, pp. 1-6.
- Jung, K., Kim, W., Hur, S., Ha, S., Jung, P., and Jung, Y. (2004). USLE/RUSLE Factors for National Scale Soil Loss Estimation Based on the Digital Detailed Soil Map, Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, 37(4), pp. 199-206. [Korean Literature]
- Knisel, W. G. (1980). CREAMS: a Field Scale Model for Chemicals, Runoff, and Erosion from Agricultural Management Systems, USDA Conservation Research Report 26.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation (KWRC) (2004). Final Report for the Turbidity Reduction Management at Imha- dam, Korea Water Resources Corporation.
- Korea Water Resources Corporation (KWRC) (2007). Turbidity Management Through Joint Dam Operation, Korea Water Resources Corporation.
- Lee, G. S. (2006). The Comparative Estimation of Soil Erosion for Andong and Imha Basins using GIS Spatial Analysis, Journal of the Korean Society of Civil Engineering, 26(2D), pp. 341-347. [Korean Literature]
- Lee, G. S. and Lee, K. H. (2006). Scaling Effect for Estimating Soil Loss in the RUSLE Model Using Remotely Sensed Geospatial Data in Korea, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences Discussions, 3(1), pp. 135-157. https://doi.org/10.5194/hessd-3-135-2006
- Lee, J. H., Shim, E. J., Lee, Y. K.. and Kim, T. W. (2012). A Study on the Estimation of Soil Erosion Quantity Using USLE in the Upper Region of ManKyoung River Basin, Journal of Korean Wetland Society, 14(3), pp. 317-328. [Korean Literature]
- Lim, K. J., Sagong, M., Engel, B. A., Tang, Z., Choi, J. D. and Kim, K. S. (2005). GIS-based Sediment Assessment Tool, CATENA, 64, pp. 61-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2005.06.013
- Ministry of Environment (MOE) (2012a). The Topsoil Preliminary Investigation Guidance (TPIG), Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Ministry of Environment (MOE) (2012b). Act 6.2 of the Soil Environmental Protection Law (SEPL), Ministry of Environment, Korea.
- Moore, I. and Burch, G. (1986a). Physical Basis of the Length-slope Factor in the Universal Soil Loss Equation, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 50, pp. 1294-1298. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1986.03615995005000050042x
- Moore, I. and Burch, G. (1986b). Modeling Erosion and Deposition: Topographic Effects, Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 29, pp. 1624-1640. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30363
- Bagarello, V., Stefano, C. D., Ferro, V., Giordano, G., Invino, M., and Pampalone, V. (2012). Estimating the USLE Soil Erodibility Factor in Sicily, South Italy, Applied Engineering in Agriculture, 28(2), pp. 199-206. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.41347
- Beasley, D. B., Huggins, L. F., and Monke, E. J. (1980). ANSWERS: A Model for Watershed Planning, Transactions of the ASAE-American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 23, pp. 938-944. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.34692
- Grimm, M., Jones, R., and Montanarella, L. (2001). Soil Erosion Risk in Europe, Joint Research Centre, European Commission.
- Jang, C., Shin, Y., Kum, D., Kim, R., Yang, J. E., Kim, S. C., Hwang, S. I., Lim, K. J., Yoon, J., Park, Y. S., and Jung, Y. (2015). Assessment of Soil Loss in South Korea based on Land-cover Type, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, doi:10.1007/s00477-015-1027-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-015-1027-3
- Morgan, R. P. C., Quinton, J. N., and Rickson, R. J. (1990). Structure of the Soil Erosion Prediction Model for the European Community, In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Water Erosion, Sedimentation and Resource Conservation, Dehradun.
- Nearing, M. A., Forster, G. R., and Lane, L. J. (1989). A Process-based Soil Erosion Model for USDA Water Erosion Prediction Project, Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 32, pp. 1587-1593. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.31195
- Olson, K. (2007). The Effect of Spatial Resolution on Erosion Patterns in Southeast Minnesota, Saint Mary's University of Minnesota Central Services Press, Winona, Minnesota, 9, pp. 13.
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) (2008). Environmental Performance of Agriculture in OECD Countries since 1990, OECD, DOI. 10.1787/9789264040854-en. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264040854-en
- Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) (2013). OECD Compendium of Agri-environmental Indicators, OECD, DOI. 10.1787/9789264186217-en. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264186217-en
- Park, C. W., Sonn, Y. K., Hyun, B. K., Song, K. C., Chun, H. C., Moon, Y. H., and Yun, S. G., (2011). The Redetermination of USLE Rainfall Erosion Factor for Estimation of Soil Loss at Korea, Korean Journal of Soil Science and Fertilizer, 44(6), pp. 977-982. [Korean Literature] https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.6.977
- Park, J. H., Woo H. S., Pyun, C. K., and Kim, K. K. (2000). A Study of Distribution of Rainfall Erosivity in USLE/RUSLE for Estimation of Soil Loss, Journal of Korea Water Resources Association, 33(5), pp. 603-610. [Korean Literature]
- Park, S., Oh, C., Jeon, S., Jung, H., and Choi, C. (2011). Soil Erosion Risk in Korean Watersheds, Assessed Using the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation, Journal of Hydrology, 399(3), pp. 263-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2011.01.004
- Parveen, R. and Kumar, U. (2012). Integrated Approach of Universal Soil Loss Equation (USLE) and Geographical Information System (GIS) for Soil Loss Risk Assessment in Upper South Koel Basin, Jharkhand, Journal of Geographic Information System, 4(6), pp. 588-596. https://doi.org/10.4236/jgis.2012.46061
- Renard, K. G., Foster, G. R., Weesies, G. A., McCool, D. K., and Yode, D. C. (1997). Predicting Soil Erosion by Water: a Guide to Conservation Planning with the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE), Agriculture Handbook, Washington, 703.
- Shengpan, L., Changwei, J., Neil, A. C., Vincent, C., Nathan, J. M., and Jiaping, W. (2013). Evaluating DEM Source and Resolution Uncertainties in the Soil and Water Assessment Tool, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 27, pp. 209-221. DOI. 10.1007/s00477-012-0590-0. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-012-0577-x
- Shin, K. J. (1999). The Soil Loss Analysis Using GIS in Watershed, Dissertation, Kangwon National University, Korea.
- Taiwan Environmental Protection Administration (TEPA). (1983). Soil and Water Conservation Act, Environmental Protection Administration, Taiwan.
- Van der Knijff, J. M., Jones, R. J. A., and Montanarella, L. (2000). Soil Erosion Risk Assessment in Europe, European Soil Bureau, European Commission, pp. 1-38.
- Wischmeier, W. H. and Smith, D. D. (1965). Predicting Rainfall Erosion Losses from Cropland East of the Rocky Mountains, US, Agriculture Handbook, No. 282, US Department of Agriculture Research Service, Washington, DC.
- Zhenlan, J., Shiliang, S., Changwei, J., Shengpan, L., Xufeng, F., and Jiaping, W. (2012). Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Soil Erosion Risk for Anji County, China, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, 26(6), pp. 751-763. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00477-012-0590-0
Supported by : 한국환경산업기술원