- Volume 39 Issue 5
SPA brands have quickly expanded in domestic fashion markets as native SPA brands enter markets that foreign SPA brands previously occupied. It is important that each SPA brand establish its own brand identity to differentiate itself from other brands when SPA brand competition in fashion markets increases. This study investigates how SPA brands express brand identities through colors due to their importance for visualization strategies and brand identity. This study conducted a simultaneous literature study and case study. First, this study reviewed the theoretical background of brand identity and its relationship with colors as well as SPA brands by studying relevant literature and cases of domestic academic theses and data on Internet web sites. After reviewing the theoretical background of SPA brands, this study selected 4 stores of SPA brands (8SECONDS, H&M, UNIQLO, and ZARA) as case study targets and analyzed the stores' external appearance, interior and product colors. Store analysis divided colors into identity colors and trend colors with each SPA company expressing its own brand identity through: the store's external appearance (logo color), painted interior colors (ceiling, floor, walls, mannequins, hangers, equipment, and store-carrier bag), or trend colors (reflected in the store's main display hall or products). The results consider that each SPA brand sets the mass market as their target, and chooses the commercialization of latest fashion by selecting the latest trends in the fashion trend cycle, so its products do not reflect characteristics symbolizing the company's uniqueness and brand.
Brand identity;Identity color;SPA brand
- Choi, W. J., & Kim, H. G. (2005). 브랜드 커뮤니케이션 [Brand communication]. Seoul: Communicationbooks.
- Forgy, E. W. (1965). Clustering analysis of multivariate data:Efficiency versus interpretability of classifications. Biometrics, 21, 768-780.
- Han, S. H., & Kim, H. Y. (2011). Analysis study on the image color success cases to explore ways to establish color identity of fashion brands-Focus on Hermes, Chanel, Marni, Paul Smith-. Journal of Korean Society of Color Studies, 25(2), 49-61.
- Han, T. I., & Cho, K. H. (2010). A study on the characteristics of strategies and fashion styles in fast fashion. Journal of Fashion Bussiness, 14(5), 21-34.
- Jeon, J. Y. (2009). Study on the brand identuty and semiotic analysis of space expression: Focusing on fashion flagship store. Unpublished master's thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul.
- Jeong, S. G., & Choi, M. Y. (2011) The effects of the VMD of an SPA store on product evaluation and purchase preferences. Journal of Korean Society of Fashion Design, 11(2), 75-95.
- Kim, B. H. (2013). Spatial components and representation methods to establish the brand identity of a fashion flagship store. Unpublished master's thesis, Konkuk University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. P. (2013). 트렌드 지식사전 [Trend knowledge encyclopedia]. Seoul: Personandidea.
- Kim, Y. H. (2005). 빨강 [Red]. Seoul: Sigongsa.
- Lee, H. S., Kim, H. J., & Lee, J. G. (2012). A study on the influence of SPA (speciality store retailer of private label apparel) brand buying experience on brand loyalty. Journal of Academy of Customer Satisfaction Management, 14(1), 101-123
- Lee, J. Y. (2010). A study on the relationship between brand color and jingle of the brand identity factors. Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul.
- Lee, Y. H. (2012, August 7). Opening the wallet color red. Chosun Biz. Retrieved August 28, 2014, from http://biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/08/06/2012080602284.html
- Lee, Y. S. (2004). A study on visual merchandising for the SPA fashion brands in Japan. Journal of the Korean Fashion & Costume Design Association, 6(3), 19-29.
- Lindstrom, M. (2006). Brand sense (W. S. Choi, Trans.). Seoul:Randomhousekorea. (Original work published 2005)
- Noh, J. M., & Park, Y. S. (2007). A study on color design to build brand identity for on-line and off-line scales - Focused on masstige brand zone -. Journal of Korean Society of Color Design Studies, 4(2), 54-64.
- Noh, S. H. (2009). Study on the effect of accordance between brand identity color and in-shop color on the customer satisfaction:Focusing on the big four fastfood chain stores. Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul.
- Seo, Y. G., & Gu, I. G. (2012). 브랜드 마케팅 [Brand marketing]. Seoul: Hakhyunsa.
- Shin, K. S. (2010). A study on characteristics of the spatial environmental design of flagship store, Korean fashion brand according to brand identity factors. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Son, I. K. (2003). 브랜드 아이덴티티 [Brand identity]. Seoul:Kyungyeongjeongsin.
- [비즈포커스]삼성가 차녀 이서현 사장의 야심작 에잇세컨즈 론칭 2주년, 성적표는? [[Bizfocus]Report card of Lee Seo-Hyun, CEO of 8seconds (Samsung group), after 2 years from lauching?]. (2014, February 26). Sportsseoul News. Retrieved July 30, 2014, from http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/re ad/57307
Grant : 의류 · 패션 전문 창조인재 양성팀