- Volume 39 Issue 5
This study defines the concept of triple media and examines various marketing media that influence a consumer's purchase of outdoor fashion brands. We explore the effects of gender and age on information searches related to outdoor fashion brands and purchase criteria related to outdoor clothing. A survey of consumers who visited stores was conducted. We targeted consumers between the ages of 15 and 50 and analyzed 764 questionnaires. The results show that triple media involve eight factors: five factors (printed ads or radio ads, campaign ads, Internet ads, TV ads, and store ads) in paid media, one factor (direct marketing) in owned media, and two factors (channels of social network services, channels of direct promotion) in earned media. Further, the evaluation/appraisal criteria of outdoor clothing consist of four attributes (practicality, promotional activities, product power, and customer service). The teenager group showed significantly low usage of campaign ads, direct marketing, and direct promotion, while the use of Internet ads is particularly high among teenagers compared to other age groups. Moreover, teenagers are least likely to rely on practicality when evaluating clothing and are most likely to value product power. Additionally, women show significantly high usage of direct marketing. In terms of the clothing appraisal criteria, women assign higher value to practicality and promotional factors than men. The theoretical and managerial implications of the findings are discussed.
Triple media;Paid media;Owned media;Earned media;Clothing appraisal criteria
- Choi, M., & Yang, S. (2009). Internet social media and journalism. Seoul: Korea Press Foundation.
- Chung, H. Y. (1995). Fashion lifestyle segmentation of college women's apparel market: Information sources, clothing benefits sought, store selection criteria. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 3(2), 393-408.
- Eckman, M., Damhorst, M. L., & Kadolph, S. J. (1990). Toward a model of the in-store purchase decision process: Consumer use of criteria for evaluating woman's apparel. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 8(2), 13-22. https://doi.org/10.1177/0887302X9000800202
- Han, S., Yang, L., & Kim, M. (2002). A study on the clothing buying behavior according to lifestyle type of women in their 50's and 60's: Focused on the clothing evaluation criteria and buying place. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 10(5), 504-517.
- Hong, K., & Lee, Y. (2010). Clothing selection criteria and the use of fashion information sources based on the perceived age of elderly female consumers in their 60s-70s. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(2), 200-211. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.2.200
- Je, E. (2012). The study on satisfaction and intent to reuse by type of advertisement as a result of Internet fashion information search. Journal of Fashion Business, 16(2), 62-73. https://doi.org/10.12940/jfb.2012.16.2.062
- Jeon, M. (2006). The impact of shopping propensity of the Internet shopping mall consumers on evaluation criteria and purchasing intention for clothes. Unpublished master's thesis, Dong-A University, Busan.
- Kim, Y., & Choi, J. (2009). Fashion trend acceptance and fashion information sources according to clothing shopping orientation among digital generation male consumers. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 17(2), 238-254. https://doi.org/10.29049/rjcc.2009.17.2.238
- Kim, I., Yoo, J., & Lee, Y. (2005). The analysis of relationship between the effect of PPL ads in the TV dramas and university students' lifestyle. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 14(5), 785-794.
- Kim, J. (1996). The contents and quantity of consumer's ongoing and prepurchase information search for apparel products. Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. (2011). The preference on fashion advertisement media by lifestyle group types. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 49(8), 97-111.
- Lee, H. (2013). Media convergence and the sensitivity advertising of digilog. Journal of Korean Society of Communication Design, 21, 187-200.
- Lee, H., Ahn, K., & Ha, Y. (2012). Consumer behavior. Paju:Bobmunsa.
- Lee, J., & Kim, C. (2007). Comparison of the purchase criteria and fashion information sources for the middle-aged and elderly women's fashion markets segmented based on benefits sought. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 45(5), 39-49.
- Lee, S., & Lee, E. (2008). Advertising effect of advertising channels and image congruence in fashion brand: Fashion & cosmetics of bus stop shelter advertisement. Journal of the Korean Home Economics Association, 46(5), 1-8.
- Oh, H. S. (2011). A study on the market of the outdoor wear. The Treatise on the Plastic Media, 14(3), 99-104.
- O'Neal, G. S., Hines, J., & Jackson, H. J. (1990). Interpreting the meaning of consumer perceptions of clothing quality. Proceedings of the Association of College Professor of Clothing and Textiles, USA, 88.
- Paik, S., & Lee, S. (2000). The effect of adolescents' consumption values on the clothing products evaluation. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 50(6), 59-72.
- Roh, H. J. (2003). Shopping orientation of male consumers aged between 20 and 30 and utilization of information sources according to level of clothing consumer behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul.
- Shin, N. (2013). Shopping motives, information search, and purchase preference of teenage Internet consumers for fashion accessory. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Sproles. G. B. (1979). Fashion behavior toward dress. Minneapolis, MN: Burgress Publishing Co.
- Yokoyama, R. (2011). Triple media marketing (Cheil Worldwide Inc., Trans.). Seoul: Nextwave Publication. (Original work published 2010)
- 제일기획, 올해 광고시장 10조 육박 [Cheil, advertisement market is near 10 trillion won this year]. (2014, March 4). Dailian. Retrieved May 10, 2014, from http://www.dailian.co.kr/news/view/424867/?sc=naver
- 13/14년 패션시장 분석 [13/14 fashion market analysis]. (2014, January 10). Samsungdesignnet. Retrieved May 1, 2014, from http://www.samsungdesign.net/Market/MarketReport/content.asp?an=6087&conn_seq=002&glChk=G&block=0&page=3&cnt=9
Supported by : Chungnam National University